Quantcast Okay to take pics of characters outside of line?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Okay to take pics of characters outside of line?

My kids and I were just going through our pictures from our 2010 trip and remembered an incident with a meet and greet. When we were in Frontierland, we saw Woody and Jessie. My kids weren't interested in a pic with them, so I just stood over to the side, waited for a child to walk away from the characters and snapped a pic. The CM with them came over to me and told me that I couldn't take pics unless my kids were in line. I didn't say anything but "OK" and walked away. I was shocked though...I thought you could take pics of pretty much anything you wanted in Disney. So is that a rule I missed somewhere? You can't take pics of characters unless you've stood in line?
    Natalie

WDW ~ 1987
    WDW ~ Jan 1997
    DL ~ Jan 2004
    WDW ~ Dec 2007
    WDW POR ~Oct 2010
    WDW POR ~ Dec 2012
    WDW Offsite ~ Mar 2016
    WDW POR ~ Aug 2016
    DL ~ Jun 2018
    WDW ASMovies ~ Mar 2019

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of such a thing. We've often taken pictures of characters we've seen in the parks even though we are not planning to stand in line to see them. No-one has ever told us we needed to get in line in order to take such a picture (By the way, we don't have any children).
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I'm beginning to think some CM's make up their own rules.
    I do make sure no one else is in the photo.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I've often taken pictures of characters walking in the park or without getting in line. I also make sure no one else is in the picture.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

We have taken pics of characters many times without getting in line. First, we do not have kids, secondly, we too always wait for someone to not be in the picture. And never once has a cm told us we had to get in line.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I have also taken pics of characters without being in line or in the picture. I think this CM either was just being not so friendly or maybe thought it was a rule; which I honestly don't think it is. I have also been with others who have done the same. We do not have children so sometimes we don't feel comfortable having our pictures taken or want to wait in the long lines. As long as no one is in the picture or you are not in anyone's way, why does it matter?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem doing this either. Definitely sounds like an unfriendly CM.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

That's ridiculous. If you're ever in that situation again, I hope you will not hesitate to snap away! It's not like you cut anyone in line or got to post with the character, so WDw shouldn't have any problem with what you did.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

We all thought it quite strange. Especially when earlier that day we were waiting quite a long time for one of the princesses and just when it was our turn, from out of nowhere a dad drags his daughter right up in front of us to see her. And there was a line behind us half a mile long. The CM saw it happen and didn't say anything to the family.
    Natalie

WDW ~ 1987
    WDW ~ Jan 1997
    DL ~ Jan 2004
    WDW ~ Dec 2007
    WDW POR ~Oct 2010
    WDW POR ~ Dec 2012
    WDW Offsite ~ Mar 2016
    WDW POR ~ Aug 2016
    DL ~ Jun 2018
    WDW ASMovies ~ Mar 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natstroop View Post
    We all thought it quite strange. Especially when earlier that day we were waiting quite a long time for one of the princesses and just when it was our turn, from out of nowhere a dad drags his daughter right up in front of us to see her. And there was a line behind us half a mile long. The CM saw it happen and didn't say anything to the family.
    yes... so just remember... evidentally its ok to cut and get a picture than to wait off to the side and snap a quickie while noone is standing there jeesh some of these CM's need to lighten up a little! What's the worse they can do to you? Maybe you should snap a picture of the CM next time!

~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~ºoº~~~~
    Stayed: Contemorary (1), Polynesian (Many), Old Key West (Many), Floridian (1), Yatch Club (!), Boardwalk (1)

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually heard of this happening... not sure what the reason is... I would assume it is because the photographer has to take a certain number of pictures a day to reach quota... If you are not taking a picture with the character, then that is one less (or more since they never take just one) picture the photographer is taking... And that is one less Photopass sale made which means less money being added to the bottom line...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I have always take pics of the characters when I see them with out other kids in the photo's.

If they are not going to allow it they need to put them inside like Buss and Woody at HS.

How can you control open free space with out a curtain. I think we pay a good price to get past the gate just to see the attractions and charactors.

Nuff said, I'm done..

45 days till next trip and more photos's..
    Itchy for another trip

Caribbean Beach 1989, 90, 92
    All St Movies 1999, 04, 05, 11
    All St Sports 2006
    Pop 2007, 08 x2, 09 x2, 10, 12 x2,13,14,15,16,17,18,2021,23
    POR 2010 x2, 11
    Coronado Springs 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I make sure there are no other kids with the character when I take the pic. But I've never been told not to take a picture of just the character.
    Is this something that they are even allowed to tell you that you can't do?

Post Thanks / Like

I did have it happen to me at DHS when I was walking past Mickey and Minnie in their Christmas garb and stopped for a quick picture. Stranger to me was when I was in MK during the same trip trying to take a picture of the wooded toy soldiers and was told I had to get in line and wait my turn. At that point I had to ask why and was told that they don't allow it because they don't want anyone standing there that could be taking pictures of children in line (which I wasn't). At that point I was offended but just shook my head and moved on.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I too had this happen at Epcot. I was taking a picture of Eeyore. My Daughter did not want a picture with him but likes Eeyore so I snapped a picture. The CM came over and told me I could not take any pictures of the characters unless I was in line to meet them. I asked why and he told me I could inquire at guest relations. I did and was told plainly "it is the policy" and that is all. I tried to get a better explanation of the policy but was told again "It is the policy" nothing further. Weird if you ask me. Pictures are snapped like every second in Disney , why do they only stop you if you are aiming it at a character and you are not in line?
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that is a character CM. I am going to ask her out of curiosity what the policy is with this. I am now intrigued lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I would have pooh-poohed it as an anomaly had not two other Intercotees posted above that this happened to them too. (Which makes me wonder how often it does happen.)

What about taking pictures of the characters in the parades? As for people taking photos of other people's kids in line, what's to prevent them from taking pictures while walking around the parks? Will there be no photo-taking at all? My kids and I are probably in thousands of other people's pictures.

This certainly sounds fishy -- I wonder if some lawyer didn't tell Disney they might be liable if someone takes a picture of their kids while waiting in line and is making CMs spout this ridiculous "policy."
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a rule, where is it posted?

How would hundreds of thousands of guests with cameras
    know what is and is not OK to photograph?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    At that point I had to ask why and was told that they don't allow it because they don't want anyone standing there that could be taking pictures of children in line (which I wasn't). At that point I was offended but just shook my head and moved on.
    That is just a silly explanation. If they are worried about a predator taking pictures of children in line wouldn't they just ban camera's all together? I mean, seriously, If you weren't near the character but sitting at a bench near by and taking pictures of the scenery, you wouldn't be able to do that either?

I could see they might not want people to "photobomb" characters for purposes of crowd control. But if its a wide open area and the person is not interfering with traffic or the folks who have stood in line, then let them be.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    if its a wide open area and the person is not interfering with traffic or the folks who have stood in line, then let them be.
    As they have done since 1955.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: