Quantcast Speaking of Yellowstone...I need Packing Tips

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaking of Yellowstone...I need Packing Tips

We are going in August and taking alot of tours. We are not big hikers and I believe most of the trails I looked into are less than two miles around trip.

I know that the mornings and nights can get cold. We are taking an evening raft trip and an evening wildlife tour...so what are we talking sweat shirts or coats?

Also during the day should we be wearing shorts or long pants.

And my biggest question.....foot wear. We do not own hiking boots and I would prefer not only not to have to spend money to buy them, but also don't want to have to pack them since they are so heavy. So my question to anyone that has gone is can we buy a walking or hiking type of sneaker that will be OK for those short/ easy trails? Do you think we will be OK with something like that? My other question is does anyone have any suggestions on a brand?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Our first trip to Yellowstone was in August and we traveled there from Southern California by car. I packed for regular So Cal August weather and by the time we reached Provo we had to stop at Penney's and buy warmer clothing. Glad we did as by the time we reached Yellowstone it had really gotten very cold and we had to buy mittens/gloves, knit hats and scarfs at resort prices.
    One of the rangers told us they have July and winter! Also they have a celebration of Christmas on about the 14th of August as it has been known to snow that early.
    On the next trip we took we went in July.
    That was many years ago so weather patterns may have changed.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. From everything I read and what the Xanterra people have told me days are around 80 and nights can and will get down to 40.

Has anyone else had a really cold August during the day?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

We were there in August and the days were beautiful, 70's to low 80's; nights down in the upper 40's low 50's. That being said, we were driving over Dunraven's pass around 4:00 in the afternoon and it was snowing. We did have to scrape the snow off the car several times early in the morning. So pack sweatshirts and long pants, during the day I found myself comfortable in shorts and a fleece in the mornings. By afternoon the fleece was in the backpack. Yes, a backpack for each person with all you'll be carrying.

I would recommend hiking boots. I know they are expensive but they are so worth it. You may find you want to go a longer hike and you'll definitely need them then. Even on short hikes we found them to be helpful. It was really good foot support. Besides you may fall in love with Yellowstone and find yourself back there. I got mine from LL Bean in 2008 and I still have them. I don't use them often, but when I need them it's nice to know they are there.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

In August you will be in shorts most of the time. Take a pair of pants, sweatshirt and jacket just in case, mornings can still get fairly cool. Most athletic type shoes will be fine, but if you can find a sturdier type with more tread, that would be better. No need to spend a foutune on them.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Post Thanks / Like

Rita, I am packing with layers of clothing in mind--and yes, I am bringing gloves along in case some of the nights get really chilly. As far as hiking, if you are just doing the short trails or boardwalks, I think you can get by with athletic shoes as long as they have a good tread, like Altair said. My husband and I do both use hiking shoes--well, ankle-high boots in his case, I prefer the mid-rise. We both have Merrells, but we just bought our son a new pair of hiking boots made by Columbia and he really likes them.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: