Quantcast FP "change" in return time enforcement question?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default FP "change" in return time enforcement question?

This has probably been discussed ad nauseum over the past couple of months, but I have been on hiatus, so maybe you all can bring me up to speed.

What was the big deal with people returning with FPs outside of the return window, aside from the fact that the rules stated that the pass was for the specific return time? If the system only releases a certain number of FPs for the day, and the window to get another FP prevents people from stocking up or trying to re-sell passes, why does it matter when people use them?

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It isn't just a select number of passes per day, but also a select number of passes per hour, etc. By allowing people to return outside the printed time, you then create a backlog in the current FP wait line because you've added X amount of people into the line that were supposed to have been in the line at an earlier time.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidmarian View Post
    If the system only releases a certain number of FPs for the day, and the window to get another FP prevents people from stocking up or trying to re-sell passes, why does it matter when people use them?
    It simply doesn't matter (or used to not matter,) due to the mathematical realities that were the way guests actually did use FP's vs. the Standby line.

For instance, If a guest had, but did not use, a FP during the Return window, the FastPass Line was decreased by at least by one rider during that hour.

-------

However, now...

The principle reason of the new Return Time enforcement at WDW (they are NOT doing the Return Time enforcement at Disneyland, BTW)
    appears to be that they are now, and will be even to an even greater extent in the future, adding to the number of FP's distributed per day (some say a LOT of new FP's) and even adding FP's to attractions that do not now have (or need) FP's... and that sheer increase in number of Passes per day would necessitate a tighter enforcement of Return Times.

Post Thanks / Like

I never experienced or observed a long wait in an FP line, nor did I ever think that my stand by line was made excessively longer by people using FPs out of their window. And, as was also said, some intervals might have far fewer people returning during the FP window, so both lines would move well.

I guess I can see the need for enforcement of the times if they are going to be introducing significantly more FP to the current system. Thanks for that bit of explanation. That makes more sense.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem dh and I have encountered with using fp not at the time is that a lot of people wait until the park is closing to use their fp and the lines at popular rides is 30 to 45 minutes for the fp lines.
    first trip 1976
    27 trips since and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squijee View Post
    The only problem dh and I have encountered with using fp not at the time is that a lot of people wait until the park is closing to use their fp and the lines at popular rides is 30 to 45 minutes for the fp lines.
    That's what I would see at Soarin'. If we had a FP for the evening, the FP line was still a 20-30 minute wait.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

How does waiting to use your Fastpass make the line longer later?
    If I'm supposed to be there at 6, but don't show up until 9, that's means the line is one person shorter for 3 hours. Then at 9 its exactly as long as its supposed to be.

Post Thanks / Like

It's simple, regardless of how many people did not use their FP at the designated time, if you have say 300 people show up when you are expecting 150, it still takes extra time to get those extra 150 people through the line. And if that builds up throughout the day ( more and more people not showing up when they are supposed to) then you have an excessive amount of people showing up when your not expecting them, and the wait time becomes longer. Kinda like people going to a drive through at lunch time, regarless of how slow they were at 5 minutes to 12, at 10 minutes after the line is getting longer and longer andthe wait gets more and more.
    Dean

"Scream like a girl" Expedition Everest

Sept. 2005 Caribbean Beach
    Oct... 2005 Animal Kindom Lodge
    Sept. 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2007 All Star Music
    May 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2009 All Star Music
    Sept. 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2012 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for understanding the "problem" with people returning later

I was going to try and explain it, but it may have been more complicated than the way y'all did

Trust me. I worked at three FP attractions. i can't tell you how many times I've seen the FP line actually LONGER than the Stand-by side because people waited to use their FP's later (and wondering to myself, "Can't these people see it's a WALK-ON on the stand-by side, instead of wasting their FastPasses!?...LOLOL". At that point, if I was at the "merge point", I would dump the entire FP side and let the stand-by side build back up again.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Main Street Jim View Post
    "Can't these people see it's a WALK-ON on the stand-by side, instead of wasting their FastPasses!?...LOLOL". At that point, if I was at the "merge point", I would dump the entire FP side and let the stand-by side build back up again.
    Ahhh... a CM! What is the game plan in handleing the fast pass line and the stand by line. Sounds like you have a lot of control. Is there a protocol set by Disney or do you have freedom to do as you see necessary???

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

I, IMOHO, believe Disney should have ALWAYS been enforcing this rule.

I always went back to the attraction at the time listed on the ticket. If I had something else planned at that time, I didn't take a FP. It was rather simple.

What happens is a rule like this never gets enforced and then it because of this, it because a "Disney Tip" or part of a "touring plan" for the parks. Then when the rule starts to be enforced, people become annoyed about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very glad that they didn't enforce the Return Time for years and years.
    (They're still not enforcing it at Disneyland.)

People got to use their passes as they were needed, and other non FP users got to ride an attraction sooner due to the holding of a FP until later than the time stated.

And, I've seen many, many evenings when popular attractions have near-zero waits and the FP line is just shut down as it is no longer needed.

BTW, I, too, rarely used a FP outside the window...
    not because I was being a good little Mousketeer, but because I wanted to ride a popular attraction ASAP... as do/did most guests who use FP's.

A major convenience has been lost, and a looming unknown "system" is about to be unleashed.

The FP devil you know is out the door.
    The FP devil you don't know is poised to take over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledraf View Post
    Ahhh... a CM! What is the game plan in handleing the fast pass line and the stand by line. Sounds like you have a lot of control. Is there a protocol set by Disney or do you have freedom to do as you see necessary???
    As a CM, you have to use common sense And yes, the CM's *do* have control. Unfortunately, a LOT of them are not "properly trained", or don't really understand how the system is supposed to work, *because they've never even been to the parks*, (especially the International College Program kids), and because the trainers are only allowed to "spend so much time" training the "new kids" on how FastPass operates and how they need to "work" Return/Merge (most attractions only allow for about a half hour of this training - don't ask me, I only *used* to work here....LOL....).

My "protocol", if I was working the "merge point" (where the FP's are collected by the CM): If I saw that the FP line was backed up past a certain point in the queue, I'd hold the Stand-by side and just "dump" my FP guests, letting the Stand-by line back up (that's why it's called "Stand-by, correct? ). Once the FP side was gone, *then* I'd open the Stand-by line again.

Now, if the FP line *was NOT* backed up, and the Stand-by was at a decent wait time, then I'd go by the recommended ratio of about 80 FP guests to 20 Stand-by (if there was even that many FP guests in line). If not, and the FP side was pretty much empty, then the Stand-by side flowed much quicker as well.

What would hurt us is attraction downtimes, parades, and fireworks dumps (where it seemed *everyone* in the park would be rushing back to the attraction<s> to "make it in time" to use their FP; Splash was *notorious* for the afternoon parade dump....think about where the afternoon parades used to start...LOL) and the FP side would get pretty backed up.

To answer your question<s>: Does Disney have a "protocol" set? yes, it's supposed to be TRAINED by the TRAINERS.

Did we have freedom to do as we saw necessary? Yes, also; it's called "common sense" (like I said, if the CM sees the line backing up...they should know what to do...it's not *required* to go by that 80/20 number, especially if there's not 80 FP guests waiting....)
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: