Quantcast Pluerisy

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Pluerisy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pluerisy

About 2 weeks ago I thought I bruised a rib while coughing really hard (during a cold). After several days of the pain getting worse rather than better, I went to the doctor. I was diagnosed with pluerisy. I was given an oral steriod to help with the inflammation. I finished the steriods on Wednesday, but it isn't any better. It isn't any worse, but no better. Everything I am reading about it just says rest, but I can't find anything about how long it might last. I have already paid for two fitness classes for the summer that start next week and the Wine and Dine half marathon in November. Both of these are non-refundable payments. Just resting for an indefinite period of time and losing out on all this money just isn't an option for me! Plus I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old, so nothing about that is restful!

So my questions...Has anyone had experience with pluerisy? How long did it last? Any way to hurry the healing process along??

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would let the doctor know that it's no better. If it's bacterial you may need a course of antibiotics to start knocking it down.

Feel better
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I was diagnosed with pleurisy after a horrible bout of bronchitis. The treatment for pleurisy didn't help. Turned out my chest pain was from reflux caused by a hiatal hernia caused by all the extreme coughing. Treatment for reflux, including diet changes, eventually cured me. May not apply to you but I just wanted to share my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be feeling better after 2 weeks so if I were you, I'd definitely get back to the doctor. Let him or her make sure something something else isn't going on since pleurisy can be caused by many things or lead to many things.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my youngest daughter had pleurisy earlier this year. It took her about 2 1/2 months for the pain to go away. She finished the antiboitics in about 10 days, with little or no relief. She continued to take anti-inflamatory drugs until they made her feel sick and still no relief. Our doctor told her it might take up to six months to be clear of the pain.

I hope you feel better sooner than that.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

My personal experience with pneumonia and pleurisy is that it can take months to recover (it happens to me annually). Antibiotics, inhalers and steriods are all part of the treatment ... but none do anything to help with the sheer and utter exhaustion that comes with the condition. I know it is hard when you are a Mommy, but rest when you can. Take it easy, and I hope you feel better soon!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I had pleurisy a few years ago after a very bad chest cold.

It took me a month to feel totally better. I was prescribed Aleve Liquid Caps 4 per day, 2 each 12 hours apart for 2 straight weeks. That helped take the edge off and after that the pain gradually diminished. The Aleve helped immensely, so maybe ask your doctor about taking an NSAID.

It is rough...I feel your pain. Hope you are better soon. I'd stay away from any heavy aerobic exercise until you are pain free during regular breathing.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Pleurisy can take a long time - several months - to fully feel better. However, I would still follow-up with your doctor to let him/her know that you are not feeling any better. Perhaps he/she will want to do further testing to determine if the diagnosis is still accurate or give you a different medication or some advice to aid in recovery. Good luck!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Jennifer- I really feel for you if you go through this annually!

I have decided to get a second opinion tomorrow. Hopefully they can either try my on some different pain medication or an antibiotic or something! It is really painful and I think DH thinks I am making this up in order to get him to watch our boys

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kristen,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. My mom has had this off an on for several years. So far, over the last few years, she has broken a rib from coughing, and a couple of years ago, she passed out after a coughing fit, fell down and broke her wrist. She has spent months on and off steroids, but she is much older and has a few other health issues.

I would go and get a 2nd opinion and see what other medication that they can add to your treatment plan. My mom really hates to be on the steroids due to all of the side effects and has used an inhaler and other pain medication and that has helped quite a bit.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

I've had pleurisy since last October. I thought I cracked a rib or something, too. I ended up getting a chest x-ray and that is how mine was diagnosed, I'm assuming you have the dry kind too, not needing an effusion? I talked to my nurse and she also has had it since she was 11. Basically it will always be an issue for me she said, b/c it is scar tissue on lung covering. I take Advil (I do anyway for aches associated with another condition I have) and it helps. I am really scared about getting sick again this year, b/c I coughed so bad, I can't go through it again. I hope you are getting answers for yours. My pain is in my left lower lung and it will burn out of nowhere. I know this must be very hard with really small children, my youngest is 8, so I am active, but I do rest when I can. I also think allergies here in Atlanta area get really bad for a lot of us and that doesn't help.

Post Thanks / Like

I had pleurisy when I was in high school, as did my son in more recent years. In both cases the symptoms did drag on for months. I feel for you because it really does impact the quality of your life for a while. But I want to give you hope--although some people do form scar tissue from the inflammation, the majority of people do get over it, it just takes time and rest. NSAIDS definitely help, more than steroids in some situations. Ask your doctor if taking Indomethacin would be appropriate for you--it's a strong NSAID that really helped my son.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: