Quantcast Registering vehicles in SC (venting)

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Registering vehicles in SC (venting)

This has been a huge move for us from Amish country, PA to the Charleston, SC area. So far, things have gone smoothly. We are learning our way around and my husband is liking his new job.

Just today, I got new auto insurance so that we can register our vehicles in the state. But, as I'm researching where to go and how to do this, I get more and more confused and frustrated.

I have to first go to the county auditor to get a tax bill based on the amount my vehicles are worth.

Then, go to the county tax treasurer to pay my tax bill.

Then, I go to the DMV to register my vehicle.

In order to register my vehicle, I have to bring every form possible to prove who I am and where I now live. As well as fill out numerous forms. So much for going green!

Then, to get my license, I have to bring my birth certificate, marriage license, SS card and previous states license to prove that I am who I say I am.

And then I'm sure I will have missed something and have to return at another time.

I feel like the people on that A&E show about the Philly Parking Wars or something like that!

UGH! Any advice or instructions for making sure I get the steps done in the correct order?
    Everybody has a Laughing Place, a Laughing Place to go oh oh. Take that frown and turn it upside down, and you'll find yours we know oh oh.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to South Carolina. Auditor and Treasurer should be in the same building. This state is horrible for this kind of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

We have moved states a couple times, when we moved to ND we had about the same process as you had, big surprise on the tax bill! When we moved to AK we had to retake the written driving test, another big surprise after 15 years of driving.
    Dean

"Scream like a girl" Expedition Everest

Sept. 2005 Caribbean Beach
    Oct... 2005 Animal Kindom Lodge
    Sept. 2006 Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2007 All Star Music
    May 2008 All Star Movies
    April 2009 All Star Music
    Sept. 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2012 POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to SC - it stinks!!!

At least if you have no infractions against your current DL - you shouldn't have to do any tests. Here in NC - EVERYONE has to take the written test again and SOME have to do the driving also.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Also moved multiple times...Home of record was PA..then, got cars registered, and got driver's license in FL, GA, Japan, CA, HI, MD, VA, MD again, back to PA, then to SC, back to PA, and finally, back to SC...real problem in PA...man with same first and last name (fortunately, different middle initial) and same date of birth had multiple unpaid infractions...

Unless they finally got rid of the problems in PA.... of needing to go to Harrisburg...or pay extra for someone to courier paperwork to Harrisburg, and pay way too much for a vehicle inspection...pass/fail, PA is the most time consuming and problematic of all the states. I was able to get my SC driver's License, and plates for two vehicles, switched license and plates from PA to SC, in a single morning...Just get the tax thing done first.

It was a long time ago, but the easiest back then was MD...everything at one place...
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IamaDisneyFan View Post
    to get my license, I have to bring my birth certificate, marriage license, SS card and previous states license to prove that I am who I say I am.
    I know for the license here in FL we have an online form to fill out and a check list. It makes it so much easier. Try to see if you can do this..good luck, hope it goes smooth
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

As much as people bash NJ, it's all in one place (including inspections) and no hefty tax bill.

In MD, there's no tax bill, but you have to go to a licensed inspection station, which is normally an auto repair shop. One place told DH that in order to pass inspection he needed $1200 in repairs for a car that was only 2 yrs old. What a scam. He has since found more reputable places for inspections.

I miss NJ
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    As much as people bash NJ, it's all in one place (including inspections) and no hefty tax bill.

I miss NJ
    10+ years ago it was horrible. But one thing I have to give lots of credit to McGreevey for is overhauling the DMV to MVS. As long as you don't go on the last day of the month, everything's a breeze.
    Jeff

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: