Quantcast Dr. In Disney?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Dr. In Disney?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dr. In Disney?

We were sick the last time we were in Disney. Two of the kids needed antibiotics. We didn't know where to go. Is there a dr. In Disney or do you have to find an immediate care outside the parks. We didn't have a car.
    We plan another trip but I would like to know this for next time I case it happens again.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our son got sick with an bad ear infection one year and when I asked at the front desk of our motel they were very helpful. They called someone(shuttle service) that took us to a walk-in clinic very close to downtown disney and when we were done we called and they took us right back to our motel. They also have a pharmacy in the same building right next to the clinic. It was very easy, quick and convenient. The only bad thing was that our insurance didn't cover anything so we had to pay out of pocket. Nice to know in case this happens again. We were told we could have a doctor come to our room but that it was very pricey. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Tinker Fan; 04-22-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info
    Lori

Tinkerbell Fan "Here's Pixie Dust to You"

October 2005, Animal Kingdom and CBR
    Sept. 2006, POR
    Sept. 2007, AS Music
    May 2008, AS Movies
    April 2009, AS Music
    Sept. 2010 POFQ
    Sept. 2012 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to add that if you pay for the trip insurance, I was told all of the cost of what was dsescribed by Tinkerfan would be covered.

I would ask while booking or before paying my final payment to decide whether the insurance would be worth the cost.
    Lori Ann
    Mother of twin 9 year old girls
    Dixie Landings 11/96 (honeymoon)
    Dixie Landings/Cruise 12/2000
    CBR 11/2005
    Riverside - 9/2006,
    FQ - 11/2007, 9/2008, 9/2009
    CSR 5/2010, AKL 5/2010 (split stay)
    FQ 11/2010
    CSR 11/2011
    CBR 05/2012
    GF 06/2012
    CSR 11/2012

Post Thanks / Like

Our youngest was sick one year and we were given the options on a Doctor coming to the room or a shuttle to the clinic. It was after midnight so we opted for the clinic as it would have been a longer wait for the 'house-call'.

The service was wonderful. The shuttle driver waited at the clinic and then took my husband to the pharmacy thereafter. We were very please. There was no charge for the driver (except for tip - of course).
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the clinic is called Centra Care.

I got very ill one year at WDW and I called the front desk to see what my options would be if I felt I needed medical care. The info they gave me correlates to what was posted above. You can check your health care insurance to see if this place would be covered under 'urgent care'. Otherwise, you might need to go to the nearest ER (my insurance would not cover Centra Care, I called them, so if I had chosen to go there, it would have been at my cost). I would have opted to take a cab to the nearest ER, and now I know for the future.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

My DM also found the need to go to the Care Clinic when she accompanied us one year. The CM at Pop's front desk made the arrangements for the shuttle to come & pick her up, we had flown in & didn't have our car, we were all so pleased with this service! Very comforting to know that's available! Needing medical attention at any time is yucky, but when you're on vacation or just away from home & not knowing where to turn, it's very comforting to know that WDW has arrangements in place for those unexpected needs!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

The world is also covered by the Reedy Creek Fire Dept. which has many fine and professional Firefighters working there. They are an amazing and professional group of individuals. The dept. provides Advanced Life Support Emergency medical care. My family and I were at the world five years ago when a family member had a medical emergency. An RCFD Medic Unit responded quickly, handled the problem and transported. When asked about providing billing information to them the medics response was RCFD did not charge for medical services. I found that to be awesome since in much of the country an ALS ambulance ride starts $500 and is not always covered by Insurance. Medical Care was received at Celebrations Health ER. I found that experience to be a unremarkably average ER visit.
    Not that an Ambulance ride is needed in every medical issue I found that RCFD was amazing. I have been in Emergency Services for 18 years myself and based on my experience with them 5 years ago I would trust them with my life and that of my family's.
    Please stop for a moment set aside an hour and go find a police officer working a beat and thank them..164 officers last year never got that thank you.. ~ Borrowed and Edited from Nick Ruggiero
    April 24th-29th 2012 WL

Post Thanks / Like

great question ! we were sick in 2002,two families of 4 and somebody was sick everyday during this particular trip. we all had some sort of stomach virus. we did not even think about going to see a doctor, but since we drove we went and found a pharmacy.

to add to this question : what about when you are on a cruise ? i know they have a medical department on board, but what about paying for any medical services while on board ?

thanks in advance
    1994 french quarter-port orleans
    2002 all star movies
    2003 all star movies
    2004 wilderness lodge
    2005 french quarter/disney wonder
    2007 polynesian ( cancelled )
    2008 wilderness lodge
    2010 polynesian
    2012 disney dream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyfan4466 View Post
    great question ! we were sick in 2002,two families of 4 and somebody was sick everyday during this particular trip. we all had some sort of stomach virus. we did not even think about going to see a doctor, but since we drove we went and found a pharmacy.

to add to this question : what about when you are on a cruise ? i know they have a medical department on board, but what about paying for any medical services while on board ?

thanks in advance
    Cruises are VERY limited on what they can provide, medical care wise. They have some very basic medications onboard (stuff like motion sickness pills), but anything serious requires being taken off the ship. This is partially why they have such STRICT boarding standards. If anyone in your travelling party has been ill in the 3 days leading up to the trip, they will be denied boarding. It's to prevent the spread of illness as much as it is about NOT having people on that ship who will require real medical care in the next several days. As far as I know, very basic medical care is free (like, seeing the ship doctor to get some motion sickness pills), but if you are found to be ill with a contagious illness, you will be quarantined to your cabin for the duration of the cruise.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Our daughter also came down with a terrible double ear infection the day after we arrived and all the above postings about going to the front desk of your resort and they will arrange a taxi or a shuttle to one of a number of Doc in the boxes just off the Disney property and it is best if you call the number on the back of your insurance card to find a facility that participates in your plan. Sometimes very hard if you are from the North. The ONLY thing that I can add which our taxi driver informed us about and it is universal for all Disney properties is that IF you get a reciept for your taxi ride and take it to the concierge or front desk Disney will reimburse you for the cost of your ride to and from the Doctor. We followed his instructions walked up to the front desk at the WL gave them the reciept and after about 5 minutes of getting special approval we were given the option of the $40 cash or a credit of the $40 on our room bill. Doesn't sound like much but after having to shell out $50 copay and then $90 for the RX I was ready for a little relief and I thought it was very nice.
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Last year my son started running a fever on our second day of our trip. He had just finished his antibiotics before we left home. I don't remember what he had, I think it was an ear infection. I didn't know about the local clinic and we have a really good relationship with his pediatrician as my children have low immunity and have been to the dr alot. I figured his antibiotics weren't strong enough to clear his ear infection, which has happened several times in the past, so I called his dr and they called the local pharmacy and had wrote him a new rx. They shuttled it to the front desk of the resort that evening. He started feeling better the next day. My insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the rx but I was very grateful to have it anyway because having a child with a fever at disney world is awful!
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Share This Thread On Social Media: