Quantcast Which moderate resort?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Which moderate resort?

We are so unsure of where to stay. Darn Disney for making too many choices! It'll be the 4 of us, me, DH, DD8, and DS3. We love spending time in DTD, and we love a nice pool, especially a kiddie pool for my little boy. I'm also looking for good bus service and good food selections. We've been to CSR and love it so we were just gonna go back there, but we would also love to stay somewhere new. Any advice?

Thanks!
    August 1990 --> Offsite
    April 2006 --> Coronado Springs
    May 2009 --> Wyndham Bonnet Creek
    April 2010 --> Polynesian
    August 2011 --> Animal Kingdom Lodge
    August 2012 --> Port Orleans Riverside

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Port Orleans French Quarter!!!! Love it!!!
    Sher

WDW 1990 GF
    WDW August/September 2011 POFQ
    Can't wait to go back August 2014

Post Thanks / Like

CBR does have a nice pool for kids, and our experience with the bus service was great in mid June of last year. The food court was like other food courts, with your random selections and a bakery.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Well to be fair, we havnet stayed there yet, still have three weeks until we get there. But everything you say you want seems to be at POR. They even have a boat that will take you to DTD. Im sure your kids would love the boat ride.

There are 4 bus stops at POR if I remember the map right.

They have the new Royal rooms open which have the in room fiber optic fireworks. I have heard the kids love them.

Food... Boatwrights and another rest which is escaping my brain at the moment.

The pool on the Old Man Island looks fun and if its to noisy there are several quiet pools scattered around the property.

I know we are extremely excited to get there. I can barely contain myself.

Not sure if this helps or not.
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is for Port Orleans French Quarter.We stayed for the first time in June 2011.We absolutely loved it.It has the deluxe feel but at a moderate price of course.lol Your kids will love the pool.There's boat transportation to DTD.We had no problems with the bus transportation to the parks.The food court has a nice variety.I'm sure someone else will come along with the same thoughts and maybe add something I may have forgotten to mention.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you love dtd so much I would try Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. I prefer Riverside. It is so beautiful and we love it there! There is a kiddie pool by the large pool and a slide and a little playground for him, as with all moderates. The boat ride to dtd is very nice and relaxing. You can look on their website and look at the pictures and see which themeing you would prefer. I probably cant say the website on here but you can google it. Riverside has rooms that he would like, there is a pull down trundle bed in the allegator bayou section with a picture of the gator from Princess and the Frog. And the Royal room are nice if you want to pay a little extra. However he might like the slide at the FQ if he smaller.
    1994 POFQ
    2003 ALL STARS SPORTS
    2007 OFF SITE
    Sept. 2009 POP
    Oct. 2010 POR
    Oct.2011 POR
    Sept. 2012 POR
    Sept. 2013 POR
    Sept. 2014 CBR
    Sept. 2016 POR
    Sept. 2017 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I would cast another vote for Port Orleans Riverside. The pools are fantastic and the food court is much nicer than French Quarter (IMHO).

We stayed at FQ in 2001 and hated it so much that it actually made me very leery about staying at POR. The FQ rooms were not up to Disney standards of being "clean", and the food court was always packed solid all the time. I guess the whole vibe of the place just turned us off. My daughter (who was 9 at the time) had picked the resort solely because of the "dragon pool". Unfortunately, she was disappointed because the pool was always so crowded. I know a LOT of people LOVE FQ, and that you can have "bad" experiences at any resort. I know we had very high expectations since it was our first trip with our daughter and all the crowds & craziness really made it a stressful experience.

After staying at POR in December, it's definitely my first choice in moderates. The whole vibe of the resort is very peaceful and relaxed. But, I had really LOW expectations going in and was totally blown away by the entire experience. In fact, I'm just wrapping up the details for a Sept. trip for me & my mom...we're staying in one of the new Royal Rooms and couldn't be more excited!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should try them all once to see which you like best
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

I vote PO-R. I love the pool area. Sometimes it is a bit noisy but there are several quiet pools. Plus you have a boatride to DTD. You can walk over to POFQ for the beignets (sp?) I love them! The restaraunts at POR are good, and the bar is hoppin at night.
    ºoº Lizzy ºoº

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. --Helen Keller

Former VMK: dizzylizzy

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Port Orleans French Quarter (Intimate) or Port Orleans Riverside (Best Food Court). Both get you to Downtown Disney easily and both get you to the parks pretty well. Good pools and lots of activities.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

We absolutely LOVE POR! It is by far our favorite resort. The atmosphere is very relaxing. The food court is really good...try the pasta station! There is alot to see and do...the boat to DD, YeeHaw Bob in the Roost Lounge, great pools, etc

The bus situation is pretty good. It is only used by POR and there are enough stops that it isn't much of a walk. You can walk to FQ and try out their pool and food court...although we didn't care for it much.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Port Orleans French Quarter!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sherriepaul View Post
    I would recommend Port Orleans French Quarter!!!! Love it!!!
    My favorite moderate resort as well.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I think you would like Port Orleans French Quarter. With your 3 year old son, I think the pool there would be great for him. There is a very tame slide that is great for the smaller ones. There is also a kiddie pool near the main pool. You are just a boat ride away from DTD. Riverside is another good choice close to DTD, but my family didn't love it. The pool there is a little more exciting than the pool at French Quarter for older kids, but you are allowed to use both pools if your staying at either of the Port Orleans resorts. Sometimes these two resorts share buses, but when they don't share FQ only has one bus stop so it's easy on, easy off. Riverside has 4 bus stops, I think, so it will take a bit more time coming and going since you'll have to stop multiple times. Out of the two I'd pick French Quarter.

CBR is another great option. There is a huge kiddie water play area that I'm sure both your kids would enjoy, as well as a huge zero entry pool complete with two waterslides. There are also two hot tubs in the pool area. Very nice pool area.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Either Port Orleans resorts should work for you. They are 'sister' resorts and its a lovely walk between the two so you can really enjoy both.

The biggest difference to me was size....R is very large....FQ much smaller. I liked the size of FQ for access to the food court....pool....buses and R is a nice stroll away so your really good either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Add another vote for POFQ
    Sep '15 - VWL/3 night Cruise on Dream
    Jan '15 - BLT and Vero Beach
    Jan '14 - Disneyland Hotel
    Sept '13 - AKL
    Jun '13 - Pop Century
    Dec '12 - Saratoga Springs
    Feb '12 - Port Orleans FQ
    '10 - AS Music
    '08 - Pop Century
    '05 - Contemporary
    '03 - Carribean Beach
    '96 - offsite
    '95 - offsite

Post Thanks / Like

We liked PO Riverside, but we liked Coronado Springs the best. My kids loved the pool there with the temple, slide and spitting jaguars. I liked that the room had the 2 Queens as opposed to the double beds. Most of the mods are on the larger more spread out side, with POR FQ being the smallest/most intimate.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We love all the moderates. They all have their own unique appeal. If you like DTD, then the Port Orleans resorts make for a nice option because of the boatride. (It is our favorite mode of transportation.)

The Riverside is an immense resort, while the French Quarter is quaint. There are many more options at Riverside, including a fishing hole, and carriage rides. Plus its swimming pool is nicer.

FQ is more charming. Both are great!
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed POR in 2010, and if you like spending time at DTD, you can take the boat there. Boatwright's is a very underrated restaurant in my opinion, and Riverside Mill, while sometimes hectic, was a great home base for meals. Also consider taking the horse and buggy ride if you're willing to spend the $$, because it was a nice evening activity at the resort.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Another for POR.

Besides all that's been mentioned, you have the River Roost lounge with Yeeha Bob for entertainment. Better food court then POFQ in my opinion, but can't go wrong either way.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: