Quantcast The Hunger Games

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Hunger Games

Did anyone get to see The Hunger Games this weekend?

I am a big fan of the books and have to say, the movie did not disappoint! Any changes that they made (in my opinion anyway) made the story translate even better into film! My only complaint is that they glossed over some pretty amazing scenes that were full of detail in the book... but if they hadn't the movie probably would have been 8 hours long! I was also pleased that my imagination for gore is a lot more graphic than how they presented the violence of the book in the movie. Now, WDW just needs to get the rights to this so they can compete with Harry Potter World

What did you think?
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lettripp View Post
    Did anyone get to see The Hunger Games this weekend?

I am a big fan of the books and have to say, the movie did not disappoint! Any changes that they made (in my opinion anyway) made the story translate even better into film! My only complaint is that they glossed over some pretty amazing scenes that were full of detail in the book... but if they hadn't the movie probably would have been 8 hours long! I was also pleased that my imagination for gore is a lot more graphic than how they presented the violence of the book in the movie. Now, WDW just needs to get the rights to this so they can compete with Harry Potter World

What did you think?
    This!!! I am hoping to see the movie this upcoming weekend. WDW should also try and get the rights to The Twilight Saga and make an attraction from it. Twilight and Hunger Games would be perfect for DHS. DHS really needs a face lift.
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belle of the Ball 051411 View Post
    Twilight and Hunger Games would be perfect for DHS. DHS really needs a face lift.
    While I would definitely like to see new items at DHS, and I thought the Hunger Games trilogy was decent, I don't think attractions focusing on children killing children would be in Disney's "family friendly" motif. As for Twilight...no. If Disney ever tried to do an attraction based on a whiny heroine and glittering vampires, I would never touch a Disney product for the rest of my life.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    While I would definitely like to see new items at DHS, and I thought the Hunger Games trilogy was decent, I don't think attractions focusing on children killing children would be in Disney's "family friendly" motif. As for Twilight...no. If Disney ever tried to do an attraction based on a whiny heroine and glittering vampires, I would never touch a Disney product for the rest of my life.
    Duh!!! I didn't really think about it in theory. (runs away in shame...)

Isn't Avatar coming to the AK?
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. The Hunger Games is based upon a violent punishment. It is suitable for pre-teens and teenagers but, I wouldn't want a young child knowing the story. They would have great difficulty understanding it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is. Avatarland is supposed to open in 2015. That should fit pretty well with DAK's ecofriendly message and James Cameron is an extremely creative guy. Hopefully he'll help the Imagineers come up with some great stuff for that land. Admittedly, I wasn't too thrilled when I first heard about Avatarland, but the more I thought about the more I can see the possibility of something really great coming out of that.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the movie this weekend
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE the Hunger Games books and I hate to be negative on anything that gets kids to read but I would if they made a Twilight themed area...
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the books and can't wait to see the movie. My daughter saw it and gave it an enthusiastic review. Most of my adult friends are raving about Lenny Kravitz. I will get to it this weekend.

As for theme park additions for this or Twilight-- no! Just not going to work.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I saw it with my 11- and 9-year old boys. There was a lot of, "That's not how it happened in the book" criticism from them, but over all, I thought it was pretty well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Duh!!! I didn't really think about it in theory. (runs away in shame...)

Until you see vertical construction, then who knows... There are some rumors spreading about the project....

As for Hunger Games, no.... does not belong in Disney....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

Great book series! I saw the movie & thought it was very well done. Of course they had to make adjustments due to time limits & to help explain things to people who didn't read the book.
    As much as I love Twilight & The Hunger Games, I don't think either of them would be a "fit" for Disney.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Yea... I probably should have thought that suggestion out more. I just meant based on the popularity... but I think you're right- Children killing children is not very Disney.
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

I knew very little about the story before seeing the film. Saw it. Liked it. Thought the first half of the movie was actually better than the games themselves.

Going to have to read the books now.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

My husband said he liked it. He doesn't read books for pleasure-just whatever the government has him read for work. He doesn't go to movies often.

he said it was a lot better than " that vampire movie we made him go to".
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the movie this past weekend.....Liked it for what it was, but was disappointed in lack of character development and some of the "scene" changes.

I fully understand some of the changes/omissions/etc. due to length and trying to keep it PG13 and think they did a pretty good job of getting all the 'major points' covered.

On the whole: B+ (or better yet )
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    Saw the movie this past weekend.....Liked it for what it was, but was disappointed in lack of character development and some of the "scene" changes.

I fully understand some of the changes/omissions/etc. due to length and trying to keep it PG13 and think they did a pretty good job of getting all the 'major points' covered.

On the whole: B+ (or better yet )
    I have heard this from a friend, who loves the books. She was disappointed in the movie because the action didn't stop long enough to really take advantage of the emotions and character development. She thinks the filmmakers trusted too much in the audience knowing the books and assuming the emotions are built in from already knowing storylines. I haven't seen it yet, but sounds like you picked up on that, too.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    She was disappointed in the movie because the action didn't stop long enough to really take advantage of the emotions and character development. She thinks the filmmakers trusted too much in the audience knowing the books and assuming the emotions are built in from already knowing storylines.
    I've read the books, not seen the movie, but this is what I understand, too. For those who have read the books they can fill in all the gaps on the movie. Those who haven't read the books will miss a lot of stuff, but, honestly, that's the issue with bringing a book to film. You just can't get it all in without making a 12 hour movie. The Harry Potter movies took a very similar approach and it mostly worked (though how they could leave out the Marauder's Map storyline in movie 3 is beyond me).
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    The Harry Potter movies took a very similar approach and it mostly worked (though how they could leave out the Marauder's Map storyline in movie 3 is beyond me).
    Oh my gosh Strmchsr don't even get me started on how TERRIBLE the 3rd HP movie was...(This is coming from a girl with the Ravenclaw crest tattooed on her back) lol
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Saw the movie today and really enjoyed it... I think it lived up to the hype... I haven't read any of the books, yet... I plan to now though!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: