Quantcast DVC & AKL: Driving to parks or Busses?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question DVC & AKL: Driving to parks or Busses?

We've always stayed "close" to either MK or Epcot and thus had great access to monorails, walking to parks, etc.
    This will be our first time further from the parks. We WILL be driving this trip. I've heard that bus service to/from AKL can take an hour to get to parks and busses can be SRO! Is it a good strategy to drive to parks? Do DVC members get free parking at Resorts only - not theme parks? What's your best strategy for this? (I.e. Park at contemporary and walk over to MK? Park at BW and walk over to Epcot?) We will be going 3/31 - 4/8. Busy - I know!!
    Thanks
    Barb
    ~~Barb~~
    AKL Jambo House - 3/31/12 - 4/8/12
    BWV - 10/07
    BCV - 11/30 - 12/10/04
    BCV - 12/03 (Christmas at WDW)
    Contemp - 10/98
    Contemp - 12/97

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The bus ride can be long and busy, but it sure is doable. We stayed at the AKL in August, and were able to make use of the buses quite easily when we chose to not drive. FYI... DVC members are NOT permitted to park at the resorts and then go to the parks. You may check in at the security gate of a resort if you are going to be visiting it, or eating at a restaurant there, and you will be issued a temporary parking permit (3 hours). The resort parking is intended for that resort's guests, not as an alternative to park parking. Just a heads up.

This said, you can use your DVC card to get complimentary parking at the theme parks and the TTC. You can also park without charge by simply showing your AKL parking pass (the easiest way for sure). All resort guests may park at the theme parks without charge.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_A View Post
    Is it a good strategy to drive to parks?
    You're going to get differing opinions on this. Mine is that unless you can walk, boat, or monorail to a park, it is always better to drive. Anything to avoid the buses.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

We last stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge in May. While the drive to the parks is longer from this location than it is from other resorts, it typically fell far short of an hour for transportation!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Took us 45mins to go from AKL to AK via bus.... We drove from that point on anywhere a bus would be used. A concur with Scar!

oh this was a not so busy December 11th day....
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

We've been only using Disney transportation for our last four trips. Ocassionally there are longer than normal wait times, but never at one specific park or resort. I think the worst was waiting for a bus after Wishes at MK. 2 1/2 hours. Maybe it was just a fluke for that day?

Happy planning!
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

We were there in August and used the busses only. Didn't have any problems with the service. I have always used the busses at WDW. I would rather use the busses and not drive.... I am on vacation. The busses are part of the experience for us. Don't want to rent a car... added expense. The busses works well for us, but is not for everyone.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    We were there in August and used the busses only. Didn't have any problems with the service. I have always used the busses at WDW. I would rather use the busses and not drive.... I am on vacation. The busses are part of the experience for us. Don't want to rent a car... added expense. The busses works well for us, but is not for everyone.
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Well, here's another vote for driving. But since you are going to have your car there anyway you can decide when you want to take the buses and when you want to drive. When we stayed at AKL we used the buses a few times but usually drove to the parks.

Post Thanks / Like

We typically drive to all of the parks except MK. I hate dealing with the mob scene at ttc for monorail/ferry. If crowds are not too bad or we dont feel like driving we will take the bus.

I agree with the pp when we stayed at AKL I do not remember bus ride being an hour.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

we always stay at AKL- Kidani or Jambo and by far the longest ride was 30min. It really is personal preference but I'll give you this to think about. The buses drop you off near the front gate of each park. When you drive you have to figure the time it takes to get through the gate to pay or show your resort card then you park, then you get on a tram.

In all honesty I think you spend about the same time using both forms of transportation.

The only places I would 100% drive if I had a car is DTD and the water parks.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

We usually ride the bus to MK to avoid the TTC hassle, but drive to all of the others. Take the bus the first day, and see how it goes.
    Too numerous visits to count. Resorts stayed at include:

Bay Lake Tower
    Contemporary
    Fort WIlderness
    Beach Club Villas
    Yacht Club
    Board Walk Villas
    Swan
    Dolphin
    Polynesian
    Port Orleans Riverside
    Saratoga Springs
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Wilderness Lodge Villas
    WIlderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC & AKL: Driving to parks or Busses?

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    You're going to get differing opinions on this. Mine is that unless you can walk, boat, or monorail to a park, it is always better to drive. Anything to avoid the buses.
    Totally agree! When we stay at AKL we always drive rather than use the bus system. Just personal preference though.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: