Quantcast Could I Do This?: Encouragement Needed

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Could I Do This?: Encouragement Needed

Hey everyone!

I just got back from a great vacation at WDW and celebrated my 24th birthday while we were there. I've decided, though, since I'm turning 25 next year, I sort of want to do something to mark the occasion. All of my friends from college are going to come down in January of 2013 and we're going to do a 10 day extravaganza of sorts to celebrate my 25th birthday. In order to celebrate, I've decided I really want to run the Half Marathon next January. My only issue? I weight 240 lbs (at 5ft, 2in) and I've never run a day in my life.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I figure I need about a year to train and I do want to lose some weight this year. I figure running the marathon would give me a concrete goal to work towards losing the weight. I also have a gym membership, so I have access to tread mills and some equipment.

Basically, I'm looking for some encouragement and some advice on how to begin training. Two of my friends are runners and are also interested in running the half marathon with me next year and have offered to help me. Does anybody else have any tips?

Thanks so much!
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't have any tips, but did want to provide encouragement. Good for you! You should be proud that you've decided to set a goal like that!

Remember that you can do anything you put your mind to. Don't over do it at first and you'll get there!

Keep us posted as to how you're doing or if you just need some extra encouragement!

Good luck!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are otherwise healthy and your doctor clears you, of course you can do it.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely. With upwards of 50,000 runners involved in Marathon weekend, there are always people with stories like yours who have successfully made the commitment to get in better shape and complete a half or full marathon.

Start small, walking 30 mins each day for a few weeks, then start adding jogging/running for parts of those 30 mins. As you get in better shape add more time and make a greater percentage of that jogging/running. You eventually need to be able to maintain 16 minute miles (really just a steady paced walk) for 13.1 miles.

You've just gotta make the commitment to do it and there's no time like now to start. As I saw on a motivational poster, 'Later is not a day of the week.' I've seen soldiers and marines with no legs complete it (some in chairs, some with prosthetics), so you'll have it easy compared to them. Best of luck and keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like

Do it! Do it!! You can do it!

I had never run and I did the Disneyland half Marathon in 2008.

My story, for anyone interested:

My training was marred by a constant stitch (in my side) I would get after running only a couple of miles. I finally saw a Doctor about 3 weeks before the race and was told I may have a Spigelian hernia. He then went on to tell me I wouldn't be able to do the run. He said I would be unable to finish because of pain and that my training wasn't sufficient enough at this time. Balh, blah, blah.

I told him that the entire trip was planned around my run and I would attempt it anyway if my hernia was not life threatening. He said "Ok, but don't be disappointed if you don't finish." Thanks, Doc.

So, at the Marathon Expo I was chatting up the girls at the Clif booth and telling them my Doctor didn't think I'd finish. They asked my expected finish time and I said I had been hoping to finish under 2.5 hours. They suggested I change that to 3 hours and join their 3 hour pace team, the leader assured me I'd finish with her..it would be a walk/run group and we'd finish at exactly 3 hours.

Getting into the proper corral was another issue. Having never had a time to submit I was placed in the last corral but my Pace team was in "C". The lady checking the Corral numbers wouldn't let me in, she said I'd have to ask a different guy, who told me to go on in and find the group! Woot.

The pace leaders were so entertaining and helpful that I forgot I was running a race.. there was entertainment around every bend, all the park cast members were up early to see us off and encourage us... there were photo opps with all the characters and their parade floats throughout the parks.

As much as I loved my pace leaders, I wanted to finish in less than 3 hours. I thanked them with 1.5 miles left to go and ran it in. Once you are that close the observers start to shout your name and encourage you to keep running. It was so exhilarating and fun I was able to tune out the pain in my side.. Mickey was there to give me a high five as I crossed the finish line.

My time, 2:55.34
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Encouragement - you CAN do this. The year of preparation will help you lose the weight you said you wanted to lose. You can set your own pace or figure out what your pace should be and then run that marathon.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

BelleBeauty Guest

ENCOURAGEMENT - you should definitely do this. What better than to reward yourself with a run around the best place on Earth! Look into runners groups or something like that near you for moral support. There are lots of website that help you plan a training program and help you track your running/ training. I find tracking things helps me and helps me see how far I've come. Do it!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with everyone else, GO FOR IT! Try to keep track of your times and distance. They can really be encouraging, they tend to help push you to do just alittle bit more. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Go to coolrunning and check out the "couch to 5K" program. 5k is 3 miles and a good start.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

You should look into Couch to 5K. It's a great workout program that's meant to get folks who fell off the exercise wagon (like me! ) up off the couch and, in a safe and manageable way, get them ready to run a 5K.

A half marathon may be a big step to tackle in just a year, but hey ... setting a stretch goal is great!
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You can do this! I don't think I could ever set the lofty goal of a half marathon (I have something up with my hip), but I did just run/walk my first 5K during Marathon weekend and it was a complete blast. RunDisney events are incredible and perfect for first time runners. I'm now signed up for another local 5K and am doing the Expedition Everest Challenge in May. Never, ever, ever would I have imagined running to the corner, much less miles. Plus, you're half my age and the sky is the limit for you. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You should look into Couch to 5K. It's a great workout program that's meant to get folks who fell off the exercise wagon (like me! ) up off the couch and, in a safe and manageable way, get them ready to run a 5K.

A half marathon may be a big step to tackle in just a year, but hey ... setting a stretch goal is great!
    I agree with Ian! Definitely give the C25K a try! I had never run a day in my life and started the program, did it at my own pace, and in 5 months, I ran my 1st 5K. I was in the same weight range that you are and this program was fantastic! It's rough, I won't lie! But you can do it! And when I crossed the finish line of that 5K, there is no other feeling like it in the world! And to be able to do that in WDW, I can't think of anything much cooler than that!

Good for you! You can do it!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I will also say the Couch to 5K program is great, and I was following it quite well until my hip just couldn't handle it anymore. I also see a lot of folk associated with Disney events talking about Jeff Galloway and his training program. Seems lots have had success with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no advice as I am a COUCH potato! lol

But certainly want to send encouraging words! It may sound cliche' but you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to! You will do great! Keep us up to date with your progress!!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

YOU CAN DO IT!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely you can do this!! It sounds like you've got great, knowledgeable friends supporting you and wonderful advice from members here. Check in with your doctor so he/she knows your plans and go for it!!

Post Thanks / Like

You can do this! You can do anything you set your mind to. I ran most of my life (track in MS and HS and then after I ran for "fun"). I agree about getting a physical and talking to your dr. before you start. I have switched over to walking as my knees finally told me to stop beating them up. Set realistic goals and stick to them. Also, don't forget strength training too. This will help build up your muscle for endurance. Best of luck and can't wait to hear about your progress! Also, get some great music or audio books so you don't get bored.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for all the encouragement everyone! This is so great to hear. I have looked at the Couch to 5K program and I'm glad to hear it gets such rave reviews. I'm planning on starting next week and I will be sure to keep everyone posted. It's also good to hear I don't have to run the ENTIRE half marathon--that's it's okay to walk too. I'm super nervous about going to the gym because I don't want people laughing at me since I'm a bit bigger and I'll be huffing and puffing on the tread mill and other machines!
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Rose View Post
    I'm super nervous about going to the gym because I don't want people laughing at me since I'm a bit bigger and I'll be huffing and puffing on the tread mill and other machines!
    Don't let this stop you from going! Find a gym you're comfortable in. Check out a few.I've found most gyms that I've been a part of are far more supportive then you'd imagine.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

You can do it! Probably. It's a lofty goal, but if you see your doctor, have a complete physical (this is imperative if this is the first time you've embarked on any serious exercise plan), and are cleared to go for it, you can do it! Probably. I don't mean to sound negative, but not everyone is cut out for distance running, and it's a lot harder for women to be successful at it without suffering from hip and knee problems. I am a very fit person. I have been active my entire life. I run at least 3 miles, 5-6 times a week. However, I cannot run a foot over 5 miles at once, without suffering excruciating knee/hip pain. It's just my anatomy, I guess (I have wide hips...not good for running). So, while it's definitely a goal worth going for, my recommendation would be to set a 5K race as your first goal. Once you complete that, and you know how your body reacts to distance running, you can set further goals. My younger sister used to be a marathon runner, until she blew out her knee completely at age 28. She can no longer do distance runs. Honestly, it's not worth it to push your body beyond its natural limits, so always remember to listen to its signals!

Where do you live? Can you possibly do the majority of your training outdoors? Using a treadmill is a lot easier than walking/running on pavement, so you should try to alternate treadmill workouts with actual outdoor walks/runs. I own a treadmill, but every few workouts, I take it outside. I am always wiped out after an outdoor run! At the very least, put the treadmill incline on 1% to simulate running outdoors.

In any event, congratulations for wanting to make a change and get active! That is something to be proud of in itself.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: