Quantcast Tenting in July

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenting in July

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tenting in July

We went to the Hoop De Doo for the first time in YEARS two weeks ago, and my boys were totally enthralled with the whole campground concept.
    Our next trip is the Disney Dream in July, and I was thinking that it might be fun to do a night of camping before heading onto the ship. Heck, it'll make them REALLY appreciate the comforts, right?
    BUT, I've been to Florida in July and August. Would we be completely insane to think about tent camping at this time of year? It'd just be one night (I think)....

Any summer camping experience out there?
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'd probably not do it in July. First you have to set up camp in the heat and humidity. Then, you need to sleep in it. Then, you have to break camp in the heat and humidity.

Make the camping trip during a cooler time of year!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

No way would I ever camp in Florida in July.

It's easy to break a sweat just waiting for the busses, never mind doing all the "camping" stuff... For just one night, I'd just as well stay at the airport.

Post Thanks / Like

You could not pay me to tent camp in WDW in July.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Tent camping at WDW in July? Tent camping ANYWHERE in Florida in July - Nope no way, no how.

Its not even fun to do here in Eastern NC in July!
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I would think insane.It is HOT down here and we have the sea breeze, unlike Orlando.

However if you already have your mind set on it and have worked out the logistics of it. Then I say sure go ahead and expirience it. So that you can then decide wether or not you want to do it again.
    But, if you want to really expirience camping,and give it a fair chance I would do it (again, if you do it in July) in the cooler months or cooler location.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I attempted to camp with my mother around Pensacola (note:near ocean) mid-August. Well, I noticed that the campground was full of nothing but RVs and that didn't tip me off well enough. It wasn't until I had to keep going back and forth to my car in the middle of the night to turn on the A/C as I could not sleep in the heat. Now, I've tent-camped many times prior to this and I've never been so uncomfortable before. Bad idea-won't ever make that mistake again!

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are going on a cruise, I'm assuming you won't be traveling with any camping equipment. So you'll have the hassle of renting what you need and then the set-up and take down, which is a lot of work for only a one-night stay, regardless of the heat and humidity, which as others have pointed out is just about unbearable in July. But you're right about one thing, all of you would really appreciate the comforts of even the smallest cabin on the Dream after trying to sleep in a tent in July in Central Fla.

I'd suggest trying to rent a cabin in Fort Wilderness for one night instead. That way your family will get the flavor and fun of the campground without the hassle of setting up camp for only one night. You can always go back in cooler, more enjoyable months and stay for a week at the Fort. We love camping there, but not in a tent in July.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

One night of tent camping - any time of year - is probably not worth the trouble. Tent camping when you're going to be in the tent several nights is one thing but doing all that set up for one night isn't my cup of tea. I'm not minimalist enough.

(I have tent camped in summer, but in much dryer climates.)

Probably the single biggest reason we got into RVing - way easier to do one night as there isn't as much set up. And then there is that nice air conditioner.

You can rent an RV from an outside vendor and use it at Fort Wilderness, but then your boys wouldn't know what roughing it is.

Btw, you'd have to provide your tenting gear. If you're coming from Chicago ?, that might be difficult.

You can also reserve a Wilderness Home at Fort Wilderness, if there is one available. And that's even less like roughing it.

But . . . what kid doesn't absolutely love a campground? Maybe you should plan a few days just in the campground. Just not in a tent.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Hee hee.... somehow these responses do not surprise me!
    Maybe we'll just get a cabin and call it a campsite!
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisnIse View Post
    Hee hee.... somehow these responses do not surprise me!
    Maybe we'll just get a cabin and call it a campsite!
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone here that one day of camping is simply not worth the work. However we have camped in July in the Florida Keys and though the days were hot the nights were really decent, of course we were right on the water which may have made it cooler. But what Im saying is if your going to be busy during the day and only at the site to sleep then it may not be bad. But Florida is ridiculously hot during most of the year and July is one of the worst, mostly humidity being the problem...It would definitely make anyone appreciate the creature comforts lol. Personally Im with everyone here and I wouldnt do it.
    Married my prince charming Nov 10, 2013!!
    Nov '13 honeymoon trip at AoA
    Sept '14 Upcoming trip at AoA

Many trips since '85
    Addicted to Pixie Dust since Birth!
    Tomorrow Is Just a Dream Away

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up In defense of WDW camping in July...

Now hold on. Let's think this through. I agree..camping in July sounds like a horrible idea. However, my father and I have managed to pull it off with a little extra planning! In fact, we did it for a whole week!

Many moons ago my father and I camped at Disney (in real tents!) at the campground in JULY!!!! It was my 13th birthday present.

During the day we went to the water parks or participated in some kind of non-park activity that would keep us cool and away from the crowds. We rented the little speed boats (being on the water and getting splashed was nice), horseback riding (covered by the shade of the trees), or went swimming! The best part of these activities is that they weren't very crowded. Crowds make the heat SO MUCH worse.

We also made HEAVY use of the waterparks. I don't know if the trip would have been possible without them.

When afternoon storms were on the radar we went to the movies at Downtown Disney or a meal we knew would take a while. Everyone was waiting out the rain in walkways and we were feeling refreshed in the cool theater!

You can also take advantage of the in door theme park in Downtown Disney. We didn't do this but it was an option.

This was also the trip where we discovered the ESPN bar on the boardwalk. We were still able to relax for a while, eat something, dad had a few drinks, and we stayed connected to baseball standings in the days before smart phones. If you're not into sports, its still an okay option. If not, I'm sure there is another place in the World where you can sit for a while and just enjoy the day.

In the evenings we went to the parks and they were cooler and less crowded. This was during the days of the E Nights (best idea EVER) so we had plenty of MK time. Take advantage of early morning or late night extra magic hours so you won't be crowded OR under the blazing Florida sun at "high noon."

I kept a little battery powered fan in my tent at night and that helped too. I also seem to remember taking an extra shower or two here and there during the day.

To make a long story short, it can be done!

You just have to navigate to locations that will be shaded or on the water and away from the crowds. The extra activities cost more, but we saved so much money camping as compared to staying in a room.

We also spent a week in the World so we weren't in a rush to get everything accomplished in one weekend. We had time to putt around.

Also, we had been going to Disney our whole lives (Florida family!) and never done anything except the parks. It gave us an excuse to explore some shadded trails, try new dining, and to rent those little silly racer boats. That was great fun.

Then agian, I'm a Florida girl. We were both born and raised Floridians (living in Miami at the time), so maybe the heat didn't bother us as much. That's just something you'll have to consider. You can always abaondon ship if it gets too rough.

You just have to take into account your tolerance for heat and flexabilty in planning.

Honestly, it was the best trip I ever had at WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisnIse View Post
    We went to the Hoop De Doo for the first time in YEARS two weeks ago, and my boys were totally enthralled with the whole campground concept.
    Our next trip is the Disney Dream in July, and I was thinking that it might be fun to do a night of camping before heading onto the ship. Heck, it'll make them REALLY appreciate the comforts, right?
    BUT, I've been to Florida in July and August. Would we be completely insane to think about tent camping at this time of year? It'd just be one night (I think)....

Any summer camping experience out there?
    HOTTTTTTTTTTTT! Other than that, not bad.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been to WDW in the heat of summer several times. I can deal with the heat and humidity during the day, with focusing on attractions and finding air conditioned places to eat, and then swimming/water parks it's certainly tolerable. It's sweating all night in a tent that would make me most miserable. It's the central Florida humidity, not the heat. I grew up in the south in the 50's and 60's in a house with no air conditioning, and I can't remember for the life of me how I managed to sleep through the hot/humid summer nights (we did have fans). I can't do it now: I guess I've been spoiled by A/C.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I know that July is also, on the average, the month with the most rain. No fun in a tent.
    Disney Institute December 1999
    Ft. Wilderness June 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006-December 2007
    Caribbean Beach January 2008
    Port Orleans Riverside - January 2009
    Pop Century January 2007, December 2009, November 2010
    Pop CenturyOctober 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    You could not pay me to tent camp in WDW in July.
    I 2nd this! I went in April and it was a sauna. You will have to be up at 5am to get out of there before it gets hot and not come back til 1-2am for it to be manageable. We only camp between oct-feb and even then Mid-day, it is hot!!!!! It is warm enough that halfway through the trip we always throw out lunch schedules and go out to eat. It is miserably hot and your tent becomes a sauna. If you attempt this, I would create a make air conditioner out of a cooler- there are some how-tos online and I would plan on eating out the whole time and only using the campround as a place to lay your head but good luck getting much sleep. That is RV-time to camp, imo. If you want to camp in July, go to Estes Park, CO.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

If the kids want to rough it stay at a value resort

First trip 1986 ...
    Not enough since then!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Camp Minnie - Mickey

It has to be cooler in Chicago than Florida in July, how about setting up camp/tent in the back yard for a couple nights before vacation?
    At least they can bail-out to their rooms if the wilderness gets too wild!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat willy View Post
    It has to be cooler in Chicago than Florida in July,
    I wouldn't count on that!

However, trying out the tent in hot weather in the backyard is not a bad idea.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: