Quantcast lesson learned...wear your seatbelt on property!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lesson learned...wear your seatbelt on property!

Just a warning for those driving on property... we had a very early reservation at Chef Mickeys and decided to drive from our resort to Contemporary... dh forgot to buckle up since it was such a short trip. As we were passing though the gates an Orange Co police officer came out from behind the check point and told him to pull over... $114 ticket for seat belt violation. Not the best way to start the day for hubby who already complains about how much money it all costs anyway! So be warned and dont forget to buckle up!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't even put my car into drive without seatbelts fastened.

Most municipalities step up enforcement around the holidays too. There's one check point I've been going through every day for the past week. It ain't even Turkey Day yet!

Post Thanks / Like

believe me, I am too. And he usually is too,but between being tired and rushing and dealing with screaming toddler who kept trying to undo herself from her own child seat because she wanted to ride the monorail, he got flustered and either undid it or forgot in the first place...hes not even sure! I totally agree with the law, but it was a downer for sure. And that is a mighty steep fine for seatbelt...but florida is mighty steep on all traffic violations.

Post Thanks / Like

Seat belt laws were passed for safety reasons, but have become a cash cow for various levels of govt.
    Another erosion of our personal freedoms.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PETE FROM NYC View Post
    Another erosion of our personal freedoms.

Seriously?? The law is to prevent you from knocking out your windshield with your face. In my line of work I see the results of people not wearing their seatbelts. I also broke two ribs as a teenager because I was too cool/lazy to wear a seatbelt. WDW is magical, I truly believe but that doesn't mean you don't need to use care and caution. Buckle up!
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I would have more respect for a seat belt law if my own state of PA and Fl make everyone wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

Seat belts may help in an acident but I resent it as a money maker.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    I would have more respect for a seat belt law if my own state of PA and Fl make everyone wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

good point in the first paragraph...and I agree with sentiment of the second.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

While I do agree with the whole saet belt thing, I don't necessarily think it should be a law.

If someone wants to fly through their windshield in an accident, they should be more than welcome to do so. Same with helmets, if someone wants to paint the highway with gray matter, go ahead.

I buckle up, and I won't even ride a bike with someone who doesn't wear a helmet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    While I do agree with the whole saet belt thing, I don't necessarily think it should be a law.

If someone wants to fly through their windshield in an accident, they should be more than welcome to do so. Same with helmets, if someone wants to paint the highway with gray matter, go ahead.

I buckle up, and I won't even ride a bike with someone who doesn't wear a helmet.
    Actually, it's not just about the person who isn't wearing their seatbelt. Did you know that in an accident, human bodies can be projectiles and kill others in the car (or outside of the car)? Without getting too graphic, I've seen it happen. Person in the backseat wasn't wearing a seatbelt and everyone else was. In the accident, he flew through the front seat, killed the driver on the way by, out the windshield and hit someone on the sidewalk.

Wear your seatbelts, and give me a break on the civil liberties. I'd appreciate it if you don't fly into my family members on the way out of your car.

To the original poster, I'm sorry the ticket started your day off on the wrong foot. That is a hefty fine, but I'm sure your husband won't accidentally forget his seatbelt next time because of it!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

I would agree with you if you were willing to absorb all the medical costs associtated with not wearing your seatbelt.

Post Thanks / Like

From someone who works with emergency responders...its heartbreaking to see families lose loved ones over a preventable death... please wear your seatbelt, helmet, life jackets etc.... It really makes the issue of money seem insignificant when you have to tell someone their son, daughter, husband, wife isn't coming back

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

No brainer (no pun intended)--seat belts and helmets saves lives. Anyone who works in a trauma center will confirm this. To the original poster--thanks for the timely reminder!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I wear seatbelts for two reasons.

1. about 5 years ago i was watching a basketball game w/ my 15 year old brother (I am about 20 years older than he is). I got a call from a friend asking me if I knew where my brother was, i told him w/ me. He was relieved and told me that there had been a terrible accident a few blocks from me, and all the kids were ben's age driving w/ a 17 year old. it was cold, snowy, and they were just having fun, speeding, lost control and hit a car head on. All 4 boys died, 3 instantly and the other a few days later, none were wearing seatbelts. My brother actually knew 3 of them, and 1 of them had helped me move into my apartment. the guy they hit head on, walked away w/o a scratch. not one.

2. again in my hometown. A member of the Kansas City Chiefs was in an accident. they slidded on a street and went off the road. Derrick Thomas, was the footbaall player. of the 4 guys in the car, 2 died instantly, and DErrick was taken to a hospital and died a few weeks later. None of them were weaing seatbelts. the one guy who was wearing a seatbelt, had no injuries and was fine.

I did the math. 10 people in a car accident. 8 of them no seat belts, all died. 2 had seat belts and lived.
    that's all i need to know.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post

Michigan keeps trying to remove the helmet restiction.... insane!
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

If we really want to save lives from automobile accidents, we should just ban automobiles.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    No brainer (no pun intended)--seat belts and helmets saves lives. Anyone who works in a trauma center will confirm this. To the original poster--thanks for the timely reminder!
    Very true, but there are alo instances where the seatbelt or the helmet was the cause of death.

To me the bottom line is that our government should never mandate a safety item if there is even a remote chance that said safety item could actually cause an injury. I believe educate adults should be able to make this descision for themselves.

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Urbss View Post
    Very true, but there are alo instances where the seatbelt or the helmet was the cause of death. To me the bottom line is that our government should never mandate a safety item if there is even a remote chance that said safety item could actually cause an injury. I believe educate adults should be able to make this descision for themselves.
    That is like saying that sometimes people choke on food, therefore we should never eat.

I have been in law enforcement for nearly 2 decades. I have never seen a deceased occupant of a vehicle crash unbuckled from his seatbelt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    I have been in law enforcement for nearly 2 decades. I have never seen a deceased occupant of a vehicle crash unbuckled from his seatbelt.
    There was a wreck a few years ago where one car hit another in the side. Driver had his seat belt on but the force of the impact fatally snapped his head sideways . . .

In Missouri we have a seatbelt law. As it was explained to me by a State Senator, the insurance lobby wanted the law with a hefty fine, which was finally passed but with only a $10 fine, because of the opposition from the civil liberties contingent.

Paradoxically, if you have lost your front license plate, you face an $85 fine for not replacing that.

Go figure.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Not to sound holier than thou but I will not drive my car without a seat belt, nor will I allow anyone to ride with me in my car unless they buckle up! And having been a motorcycle rider myself, I would never go without a helmet either. The ones that may be injured while wearing their seat belts or helmets are usually the exception rather than the rule.

And don't even get me started on parents who don't buckle their kids in!!

To the OP, I'm sorry this happened. I can certainly understand how it could happen. Disney can be a very exhausting place and things do happen. I hope your husband was able to move past it and enjoy the rest of the vacation though.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac View Post
    There was a wreck a few years ago where one car hit another in the side. Driver had his seat belt on but the force of the impact fatally snapped his head sideways . . .
    Sounds like a tragic, freak accident, to be sure. But I have several friends who are trauma flight nurses and I guarantee you that that 90+% of the motor vehicle fatalities they see are unrestrained.

In any case, we are veering from the topic at hand. It never occurred to me that authorities enforced the seatbelt so thoroughly on Disney property. It's good to know.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: