Quantcast Are Magic Kingdom Deluxe hotes worth the $$$$?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are Magic Kingdom Deluxe hotes worth the $$$$?

I have never stayed at a MK Deluxe hotel before. I am contemplating a trip this Spring with my husband and 2-year-old daughter. I thought the proximity to MK would be great given the age of my DD. It is quite a bit more expensive though! Like an additional $700-$1000. Would people say the expense is worth it? It would be a pretty significant expense for us. Thanks!

March 2017 - Pop Century
    November 2015 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
    November 2013 - POR
    May 2009 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    October 2007 - Disneyland
    January 2005 - Riverside
    December 2004 - Riverside
    August 2000 - Coronado Springs
    December 1996 - Caribbean Beach

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Have stayed at a couple deluxe resorts and love them. If they offer me a nice discount we do stay at a deluxe. However, we don't stay in the room or hang around any resort to justify our staying at a deluxe. You have a very young child & you may be taking breaks throughout your stay and what a deluxe has to offer may be worth it to you.

Hope this helps

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really personal decision. What's worth it to me might not be for you. To us, it makes all the difference in the world and we wouldn't stay anywhere else. We've tried, and have been slightly disappointed and missing the monorail resorts every time. They are well worth it to us. Being that close to the MK sets the tone and makes the trip for us, not to mention the resorts in that area are our favorites and we love to have some days just in the resorts without even needing park time.

For you, it might be different. I do think it's worth a try, unless the cost will force you to give up other things that make the trip for you or will create a budgetary strain.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's worth it but we only do it for special occasions. I've stayed at the Polynesian and the Contemporary and our favorite was the Poly by far!

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

It really is a personal decision. Would you rather have that extra money for dining, shopping, or other expenses? Or will you spend a considerable amount of time at your resort making the expense worthwhile for you? You're the only one who can determine the value for the cost.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, except for the WL, no.
    Been to WDW thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

As other's have stated, it is a personal decision. IMO, if you can afford it, do it, at least once. Especially with your little one. Do prepare to be hooked. Well, I was. Several trips spoiled me to Contemporary and Poly. Love, love being so close to MK. That's just me, but would I stay somewhere else in order to aford a WDW trip. ABSOLUTELY!!! afterall, it's Disney and that's just pure Hope you have a wonderful trip. Enjoy!!
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

To us, it was worth it...but as the family grew, we needed to find more economical options...having the SoG eligibility has allowed us to share the trips with the rest of the family.
    Once, we skipped a year to provide for the extra cost...and felt that the wait was worth it. Especially with younger children, the convenience of the Monorail, or the short walk between MK and the CR has a value all its own...Make a decision, and do not get buyer's remorse! If you choose to make the sacrifice, do not second guess yourself! Just relax....and prove to yourselves it was worth it. I sit here and replay in my mind almost 40 years of wonderful memories! In fact, DW and I sometimes do the "Remember when" discussions at the strangest of times...and particularly when our kids are around, we start laughing at the silliest of things. Nothing we have ever done with our money has generated the warm memories of our stays at the CR and our single trip to Poly.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how much $$$ you are willing to spend. But for the cost of one week at a deluxe, you could stay about a month at a value resort. It's a big difference in cost. Only you can decide. If you can afford it, you should try it at least once.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

On a pure value play in my opinion they are only worth it if you are actually going to truly utilize the advantages they offer...such as returning to the resort for an afternoon/nap or swim or to have a rest day away from the parks.

If you are park commandos who run from dawn till the last park closes it makes little sense (to me) to pay big money for a bed to collapse in each night before you awaken to repeat the process.

One way to kind of mitigate the costs a bit is to stay in the garden wing of the contemporary...it adds a little extra walking, but the rooms are big and some of the water views are fab (and come at a considerable discount from the tower rooms).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

In the beginning, we stayed off site for economic reasons. Then one year, DW got a big bonus from work, so we tried staying in WDW, at CRB when that was the lowest price, as in the pre-value days. Then a couple trips we went offsite again because we were not travelling alone. DW and I both missed staying on site. We have stayed at the values many times with no complaints. We do the commando route, opening and closing our park du jour. Now we are DVC members at BLT, and still spend almost no time at the resort. If we did not join, it would still be the values for us.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the price at the WL....it's a deluxe and is much cheaper than GF, Poly and CR for because it's not on the monorail. You take a boat to MK and from there, you can hop on the monorail to Epcot. You need to take the bus to the other parks though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    Check out the price at the WL....it's a deluxe and is much cheaper than GF, Poly and CR for because it's not on the monorail. You take a boat to MK and from there, you can hop on the monorail to Epcot. You need to take the bus to the other parks though.
    Just to clarify. You could take the boat to MK then the monorail to the TTC and then another monorail to Epcot. Personally, I would just take the bus.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I will be the 1st person to say it is definately worth the extra $$ to stay in a deluxe, especially one that is on the monorail. This is even more worth it when you have young children. The convenience of being able to zip back to your hotel on the monorail in the afternoon for naps or a break is so worth it!! The post above about the WL is def. an option you may want to look into, they are an awesome "deluxe" resort without the super high rate's of GF and Poly. The Wilderness Lodge does not offer monorail service but the boats are very convenient in place of the monorail and offer a nice relaxing trip to and from the MK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Just to clarify. You could take the boat to MK then the monorail to the TTC and then another monorail to Epcot.
    Unless someone really, really, wants to ride the monorail, that method will take forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaO View Post
    The convenience of being able to zip back to your hotel on the monorail in the afternoon for naps or a break is so worth it!
    If convenience and speed in getting to and from a resort are factors in deciding which MK resort to choose, the WL will win just about every time. The WL/MK bus beats the MR. It's a five minute ride and due to an operational necessity, don't ask, it's complicated, they run more frequently than any other resort to park bus on property.

Quote Originally Posted by BeccaO View Post
    The Wilderness Lodge does not offer monorail service but the boats are very convenient in place of the monorail and offer a nice relaxing trip to and from the MK.
    See response above.

Quote Originally Posted by mydisneygirls View Post
    Check out the price at the WL....it's a deluxe and is much cheaper than GF, Poly and CR for because it's not on the monorail.
    While it's true that the WL room rates are lower than the other resorts in the MK Resort Area, it's not necessarily due to the fact that it doesn't have monorail service. Not all monorail resorts are more expensive than all non-monorail resorts. You can pay more elsewhere at a few Disney resorts and still not have monorail service.
    IMO, having monorail service is not all what it's cracked up to be. Recent history shows that the odds are pretty good that it will either break down while you're on it, or it will go down for a number of hours.
    Been to WDW thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, no. They cost 3-5 times more than a moderate or deluxe and while there are some advantages to the deluxe, they are not worth that to me and my family. I liked being able to walk to the MK from the Contemporary and the monorail is convenient (but not necessarily faster than the buses). And if you like the hotel's TS restaurant then there is that too. But the rooms, grounds, service and theming are not really all that different to me. I'd rather stay at a Mod (my favorite is FQ) and take two vacations rather than have the small advantages of the deluxe. To each his own though. I guess some people really want to to feel pampered on vacation and take advantage of the spas, etc. while at the deluxe, but I'm all about having fun in the pools and parks and eating good food while at the World.
    Many visits as child.
    2005 WL, AK
    2006 POLY, CR
    2007 WL
    2008 POFQ
    2009 CSR
    2010 POFQ

*October 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I really think it depends on how your spend your days in WDW. When we first started going there is no way I would have paid for a deluxe monorail resort, simply because we stayed in the parks from open till close. We never spent any quality time at the resort, so it would have been foolish to spend that kind of money just to sleep and shower there. Now that we've been so many times we find ourselves spending more and more time at our resort on each trip. We now feel that it's well worth the cost to be at a resort we enjoy since we tend to spend so much more time at our resort. If its a summer trip we typically spend half of our days at our resort pool so we want one that we can really enjoy, and for us that's worth the price tag.

I would say if you plan to spend all your time in the parks, then save that money for something else (or put it towards a future trip) and stay at one of the value or moderate resorts. Or at least at one of the less expensive deluxe resorts. Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful resort, close to MK and will cost much less than one of the monorail resorts.

On the other hand since you have a little one, if you plan to spend a lot of time in MK, and plan to take daily breaks, then a monorail resort might be well worth the money.

Like others have already stated, only you can decide what is right for you. Good luck finding a place that meets all your needs, and have a wonderful trip.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

On our last trip, staying at BLT made a huge difference in our vacation, since we only had three park days. We went back to our room in the afternoon every day.

With a 2-year-old (and, I'm assuming, a stroller and the usual gear that accompanies a toddler), it is so much easier to roll on and off the monorail, especially if your DD falls asleep. When taking the bus or boats, you have to fold up the stroller, but you don't have to do this on the monorail.

Plus, if you do stay at the Contemporary, it's the first monorail stop from the MK, so it literally takes 10 minutes to get from the park to your room.

Also, the deluxe rooms are a bit larger than moderates, and the Poly has the largest rooms on property.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

if it fits in your budget it is absolutely priceless to be able to take your little one back to the room to rest and get back from the parks as quickly as possible. It's a great way to prevent in-park meltdowns.
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer View Post
    if it fits in your budget it is absolutely priceless to be able to take your little one back to the room to rest and get back from the parks as quickly as possible. It's a great way to prevent in-park meltdowns.
    First I want to say that I somewhat agree with this statement, and similar statments made by others, myself included.

However, I want the OP to realize that this is only true if you are at MK. If you are at any of the other 3 parks you won't have this quick "escape" back to the room. Epcot would be a bit easier than the other two parks, but still not a very quick way back to the monorail resorts. Of course with such a young one MK might be the park visited most often, but a meltdown can happen at any of the parks and being on the monorail line has no added convenience when leaving any of the other parks.

Same with the comment about the monorail being an easy on, easy off with a stroller. Unless you have your own car, or plan on only visiting MK and Epcot you'll still have to deal with a stroller and gear on a bus at some point. Great that you don't have to deal with it every day, but your not eliminating any of that completely just by staying on the monorail if you plan to visit all parks.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: