Quantcast How inconvenient is Animal Kingdom Lodge's location?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How inconvenient is Animal Kingdom Lodge's location?

Hey everyone,

I am being very indecisive about where to book our next stay this December. I REALLY want to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, and the prices are great right now. But I am so used to staying at the Dolphin/Swan and enjoying the convenience of the location for transportation, walking distance to Epcot and a wide selection of grown-up entertainment on the Boardwalk. It would just be my GF and I.

Do you feel isolated at AKL?

So far I booked the Beach Club but have never stayed and I'm nervous.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed there but people I know that have said it quite far away from everything. I believe it is the furthest resort away from the parks. For me, I'd rather be closer than spending time on the buses getting to and from everywhere. Try the WL (my new favorite). I found their prices comparable to AK and the transportation to parks, etc. is very easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't find it terribly inconvenient when I stayed there. Of course you are closest to AK, but since you are in the corner of the World at AKL you do have longer times to the other parks and such. If you have your own car it's barely noticeable though.

So on the whole - slightly longer times to get to the non-AK parks, but not isolated. I think it's worth it, AKL is a great property.
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

Post Thanks / Like

Not an issue.
    The bus service is awesome. I can't count the number of times we walked up to the bus stop, both going to and returning from the parks, and a bus pulled up right away. Especially in the evenings at the parks, it seemed like the lines at the other resort stops were really long and the AKL group got picked up and line completely emptied first.
    Enjoy. It is paradise.
    Nell

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to stay at AKL and nightlife is a big thing for you, I would make sure I had a car. It's hard to get from the Boardwalk or any other resort to AKL relying on the bus system. If you have a car, the AKL location is a non-issue. We stayed at BLT last time and drove to the Boardwalk for a couple of hours; it took us 15 minutes to get there.

Beach Club is fantastic and is the closest resort to the International Gateway entrance at Epcot. You also get a great view of the Boardwalk from there. If you like a lot of things within walking distance, you can't go wrong with the Beach Club.

Good luck on your decision!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at both AKL and Beach Club. I like them both, but they are very different.

We always have a car. I am not sure if I would want to the stay at AKL without one. The travel time is a little longer, but not horrible. I love the theming at AKL and the animals. We always have a good time there. I think everyone should try it at least once.

I love the whole Beach Club area and can't imagine you would be disappointed.

I think it comes down to if you want to try something different. If you love the Boardwalk area and will feel like your vacation is missing something if you are not there, I would do Beach Club.

If you want to experience something different and a bit more relaxing atmosphere, I would try AKL.

You really can't go wrong with either.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons we like AKL is because it's away from the hustle and bustle. When we walk into the lobby after a day at the parks it's very relaxing. It just seems quieter than the other resorts we've stayed at.

That being said I don't feel isolated. We've always had really good bus service, but if you are into the nightlife it may not be for you.

Maybe you could just stay for 2 nights and then move to the other hotel. That way you'll get to stay there and see if you like it.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even notice! It is such an amazing place to stay. I can't waite to get back there! I didn't notice any longer than usual lines for buses at the parks or at the hotel itself. Everything was fast and convient!

Post Thanks / Like

Our favorite resort is AKL. Depending on what our needs are is which resort we choose. The F&WF is a definate Epcot resort. But any other time is best deal and we do try to get AKL. If you don't mind bussing there is no better resort. If you plan to spend time at the resort and even in the winter months (35 deg at nite) we love AKL. The hot tubs are amazing at Jambo , like no other resort. We hope to book early 2012.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

It's not.

The Boardwalk resorts are great for Epcot and DHS. Walking to 2 parks is a huge advantage.

The MK resorts are the farthest away from the other parks, other than MK.

Transportation time between AKL and Epcot and DHS is short.

The longest bus ride seems to be from WL to AK. Part of the delay is the shared bus with the GF.

Post Thanks / Like

We love AKL! You will be hard pressed to find theming like it elsewhere in the world IMO....

We have found that the buses are actually quicker to arrive and depart to AKL. It felt like we never waited more than a few minutes... just enough to breakdown the stroller and get situated on a bench.. then the bus is magically there!

We have stayed at others and it has taken much longer... especially when we stayed at WL. That was by far the resort with the longest wait for us.

We love AKL because it is away from it all but, still in the world. Hope that makes sense! Even though I'm having an affair with Mickey, sometimes, you just want to "get away".

We love Kidani and it always seems like a ghost town at the pool and hot tub. Love it!
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

AKL is not that far away from everything. People are exagerating when they say that. It takes just about as long to get to MK from Pop Century as it does from AKL to MK. Pop is only 2 minutes closer to MK than AKL is.
    And AKL is less than 15 minutes to the other 3 parks. All resorts have good and not so good points when it comes to transportation options.
    I wouldn't rule out AKL, it's a great place to stay.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at AKL Kidani in August. Loved it. I would not hesitate to stay there again. I didn't feel that far out compared to the other resorts. AKL is just incredible. The pool was so nice at Kidani and I loved the water play area... yeah, I am a big kid.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a tough one, especially since you're going during the holiday season. If you're into enjoying the holiday spirit and decorations that Disney offers, I would recommend staying at the Beach Club as it is in the middle of the Holiday beauty. All the deluxe reults in the area are decked out, plus you're so close to going to Osbourne Lights and Epcot's Christmas Around the World, etc.

With all that said, AKL is our favorite WDW resort, simply for it's unique theming, and the fact that you don't feel like you're at WDW when you're at the resort. Like other posters stated, WDW lovers should stay there at least once to experience its uniqueness. We find that on our AKL trips, we end up spending more time at the resort than we would on non-AKL trips. We find the resort invites you to relax, if you let yourself. Last year, we stayed at AKL in Dec. and the resort was beautifully, uniquely decorated for the holidays. It was special, but not that convient to enjoying the Epcot Resort beauty as we had to plan it into one of our Epcot or HS days.

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed there once and would love to stay there again. We had a car though. If you do stay, make sure you check out the night vision goggles, that was great.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddie View Post
    AKL is not that far away from everything. People are exagerating when they say that. It takes just about as long to get to MK from Pop Century as it does from AKL to MK. Pop is only 2 minutes closer to MK than AKL is.
    And AKL is less than 15 minutes to the other 3 parks. All resorts have good and not so good points when it comes to transportation options.
    I wouldn't rule out AKL, it's a great place to stay.
    I agree. We stayed there two summers ago and didn't find it to be too inconvenient as far as travel. Our buses were rarely crowded (with the exception of a few evening trips back from Epcot), and they seemed to come quickly.

I loved my stay at AKL. The theming was incredible and I felt totally comfortable there. It was very nice to walk through those doors at the end of a long day.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't find it too far out of the way either. No more so than Caribbean Beach or POP. Actually, it's kinda nice feeling a bit spread out and open.

We always have our car as well, but for whatever reason, when we stayed there we utilized the busses a lot and found them convenient.

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to visiting the theme parks the AKl seems to us to be no more inconvenient than OKW, SSR, the mods, or values. A ride on a bus is a ride on a bus...plus or minus ten to fifteen minutes going and coming makes very little difference over the course of a whole day.

Sometimes in planning for a WDW vacation we can get so caught up in the minute details of the pros and cons that we overlook big picture things...like the fact that the AKL is a completely unique experience unlike anything else that Disney (or anyone else) offers.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    If you really want to stay at AKL and nightlife is a big thing for you, I would make sure I had a car.
    just a thought...but one of the great things about doing night life at Disney is you don't have to worry about driving the car when the night is over
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to stay at AKL, you should. We were just there last week and had been there before and still loved it. It is so beautifully unique and has a nice polished look to it. Seeing the animals from the resort are a treat. Never ever felt isolated at AKL, as it is as much about Disney as the other resorts. The bus rides were not an issue. What was nice though, was when you come out of MK, theirs is the first stop. LOL. We did both DTD and BW area and for us the ride was not an issue. And I also like the fact that they have great restaurants right at the Lodge.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: