Quantcast Savannah View Worth it at Animal Kingdom Lodge?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Savannah View Worth it at Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Hey everyone,

Thinking of booking my next trip to WDW at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Is the Savannah View worth the extra money?

We are not going to spend muchh time in the room. But I imagine that Room Service Breakfast on the balcony might be fun. And maybe some night time viewing before bed.

I'm thinking about doing something special and splitting the trip at the AKL and then the rest of the trip at our tried and true Dolphin.

Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It;s def worth it. It's the highlight of the resort. I would suggest as you are thinking- maybe do one or 2 nights there for the splurge and spend the rest at Dolphin. We did it before and it was an amazing site to see. That's a big reason to selcet that resort.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed there too. It's worth the extra money. Some people think it wasnt that big of a deal, but my kids loved it
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope so, it's on my WDW bucket list! How many places outside of Africa, can you wake up, stroll out onto your deck, and see live giraffes, zebra, and wildebeests? Probably none. Seems worth it to me! I can't wait to read your trip report!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at AKL twice, once without a Savannah view and once with a Savannah view. Without a doubt we won't be staying at AKL again without the Savannah view. We weren't in the room that often, but when we were we loved sitting out on the balcony watching the animals. My 9 year old son is an animal lover and anytime we were in the room he was out on that balcony. He's claimed AKL his favorite resort in all of WDW. When asking him if he'd stay there without the view, he says "No, if I can't see the animals from my room then we just as well stay at my other favorite resort, WL". To us the view made all the difference in our stay.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Yes!!!! It is sooooo worth it! We loved sitting outside on our balcony and seeing all the animals. It was amazing. BE AWARE.....you can not bring balloons to your room!!!! We saw some major breakdowns over this. Just some F.Y.I.

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from the World and we had a Savannah view room. TOTALLY WORTH IT! There was a Patterson't Eland that bedded down right below our balcony every day (the kids named him Joe he was there so often) and giraffes, zebras, antelope.....FANTASTIC! Your not in the room very often, but being 20 feet from a giraffe...WORTH IT. You won't regret it! Watch for my trip report...Coming soon - just finishing up the details but there is a section on the Lodge and the View!
    Michael
    You ain't never had a friend like me!

DVC Owner - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge several times - only one of those trips was without a Savannah view.

I would say that most of the time, the Savannah view room is worthwhile. Why most? Two years ago, we stayed on a Savannah that we had not previously visited and the lack of animals on that Savannah was rather astounding to me. Most recently, we stayed in a Savannah DVC room and we had many animal sightings but, then again, we were placed in the same area where we had previously had good sighting experinces.

Being in a non-Savannah view room is not a real problem as there are many spots where you can see the animals. There are a number of balconies that are sparsely used where you can enjoy viewing the animals without having the view from your room.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

yes...in my opinion without the savannah view a room at the AKL becomes a room at the wilderness lodge (not a bad thing, since we LOVE the WL). But the WL has a much better location and transportation options at the same price.

So I would either spend the extra money for the view at the AKL, or do a room at the WL and spend an evening at the AKL enjoying the animals after dining at either Boma or Jikos.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely worth it.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Default Savannah View Worth it at Animal Kingdom Lodge?

Yes I highly recommend. Even though you may not be in the room all that much the time you will spend on the balcony viewing the animals will be so worth it. We have done this as a split stay and it worked out perfectly for us. We usually plan AKL as a 2 night stay and then move on to another resort. Sounds like a good plan AKL and then Dolphin but I would go for the savannah view.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Savannah View

My DW and I spent a long week end at the Jambo House last month. We were right on the main savannah behind the hotel and it was great. Room service for breakfast each morning watching giraffe's and zebra's outside the room. Its well worth the extra. We are DVC and had the 5th floor. It was our 4th time there and it never gets old.
    Trips planned for 2016......

January..... Offfsite... Golf outing

Post Thanks / Like

I love hearing this! We're headed to stay at AKL next Tuesday and we have a room with a Savannah view! My DD is 5 and she is going to flip when she can walk out on the balcony and see giraffe's, zebras, etc! I can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

Watching all the animals from your room is definitely worth it.

One of our favorite memories of AKL was watching the CM's trying to get some small animals into the shelter. I can't remember what they were but they were about the size of chickens. We were on the Zebra wing and they were trying to get them into the shelter for the night. It was in January so they couldn't be left on the savannah overnight. It was very much like "herding cats." They would get 2 inside and try to get the 3rd one in and while they were doing that 1 of the others would run. It went on for almost 15 minutes. Even the CM's trying to get them in started laughing.
    74 Off Site
    98 Contemporary & DCL inaugural cruise
    99 Dixie Landings
    00 Dixie Landings
    01 POR & DCL
    02 AKL & DCL
    03 VB
    04 DL GC
    05 ASSp, VWL, GF
    06 POFQ, CSR, OKW
    07 ASMo & VWL
    08 Pop VWL
    09 BW, POR, VWL, CSR
    10 WL
    12 VWL, AKL Club
    13 VWL, WL Club

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely worth it. Waking up to giraffes having breakfast outside your window is an experience not to be missed.
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely worth the additional expense. I recommend the Arusha savannah if you would like to see the zebras from your balcony.

Post Thanks / Like

I totally would stay at AKL Savannah view. Since we have only stayed with a AKL view and are going to be there again in a few days, I may be biased. But, my parents had a room with a "bus stop" view right across the hall from us last year. They kept coming into our room to sit on the balcony.

Everytime we were in our room - no matter how short that time - we were outside on the balcony. My kids would say hello/goodbye/goodnight to the animals everytime we came in or left the room.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
    Absolutely worth it. Waking up to giraffes having breakfast outside your window is an experience not to be missed.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at AKL Aug 2010 for 5 nights. We were at Arushka savanna and we saw very few animals. From my experience it is not worth it, but maybe that was the exception.
    May 2007 - CBR 6 nights
    Dec 2008 - CSR 8 nights
    Aug 2010 - AKL 5 nights /Sports 3 nights
    Aug 2011 - Pop 9 nights

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: