Quantcast Is driving to parks a good idea? [merged] - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot19 View Post
    I'm on holidays....Bus driver, move that bus....right back to my resort please.

A few years ago we planned an extrememly spur of the moment trip & had to stay offsite the first few days & drive ourselves! It was wonderful when we finally got to move onto WDW property, park our van & let WDW haul us around! I guess we're lucky & haven't ever had any real issues with WDW tansportation & just prefer to let them do the "driving", whether it be bus, boat or monorail, to me that's one of the definite perks of staying at a WDW property! I truly feel like we're their guests and they take care of our needs!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a car available, I would drive it to MK or to any of the parks where you want to do the closing activity-Wishes, Illuminations, Fantasmic!, etc. When we do the evening closing fabulousness (yes, I made that word up), we actually take taxis back to the resort instead of the buses. Yes, it costs us about $15 per taxi ride, but it is a sanity-saving $15 in our books! Otherwise, I would take the buses if you aren't staying until park closing.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

We usually take WDW transportation to MK (for the reasons given earlier), and almost always drive to any of the other parks. I really prefer to drive and avoid the whole bus situation.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

The last couple of times we have been there was stayed at a MK resort and drove to the parks with the exception of MK where we took Disney Transportation.

I would never use it for anything other than MK. I like to be able to come and go as I please. Also, if we want to go to DTD or some place else when leaving the park, it is easier to do.

I think having your own car gives much more freedom and control over the trip than does relying on public transportation.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually always drive to the parks. With a stroller and backpacks it's just easier for us. Also there are times when I may leave the park early with our youngest DD and take the car back to the hotel incase I need it...and the DH and oldest DD stay and take the bus back to the room. On occassion we will take the bus once during our trip but that is usually to EPCOT or DHS. Since parking is free on property we usually take advantage of it.
    CTennant

~For you see, in the end it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, by nature, I always see the glass as at least half full. Love parking the car and just relaxing...and an occasional delay getting back to the resort offsets fighting the traffic every day. Did drive almost every day one trip, to SoG...we had two ECV's, and driving was just more convenient on that trip. Since SoG guests now must pay for parking at the parks, we have just planned around the transportation available...But with just a short walk to the Poly, SoG is essentially a monorail resort.
    Since we usually go in the summer, and get Hoppers, we finish most evenings at MK, and take the monorail/boat/ferry back to Poly and walk, or to the TTC, and catch the SoG bus. On those few occasions when we spend the evening at EPCOT, we enjoy the convenience of the monorail and SoG bus. To us, there is no advantage to driving...even for AK or DHS..especially now that we would have to pay to park there.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Never would have considered driving until we did. Now I would never ever rely on the buses. Driving is just so much easier, except at mk, it's a bit of a hassle there but still better than having to wait.

Post Thanks / Like

As was said earlier, you'll get opinions on this issue for both sides of the equation. It's really just personal preference so you can't go wrong either way.
    We always drive to WDW so we always have our own car available. That said, we usually take the buses to every park, I just like not having to drive around. We do drive when we have a pre-opening ADR, or when we expect crowds to be heavy at closing, but almost never at MK; the bus stops are just too close to the park entrance there, while the parking lot is a LONG way away, trams not withstanding. We have found that when we linger leaving MK at closing, which we like to do anyway, most of the big bus lines have dissipated by the time we get out. If you want to leave MK right after the closing fireworks, there will almost always be a wait at the value resort buses. But we are never in a hurry to leave the parks, so it's not an issue for us.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

sure it is! I always drive in. I have used the buses before, and am glad they are there, but nothing is better than driving in when you're ready to go, and leaving when you're ready to go. plus, nice a/c, and quiet/noise if you want it also.

I am big on doing things on my schedule when on vacation, so the car is a must for me.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

If I have a car, I drive. I think the bus system stinks and unless they get it right, I'll always prefer to walk, monorail, boat, or drive... in that order.

However...

If you want to hear the latest details about the new park they are building, take the bus.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

When we were in WDW in May, my son wanted to ride the monorail to Epcot. We were staying in the CR. The Epcot line was shut down and they were offering bus service. I wanted to go back to the hotel and take our car. My son, who is five, begged me to ride the bus. We ended up standing on the bus for our ride to Epcot. Boy, nothing like standing on your transportation before walking around Epcot all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to use the Disney transportation, but the recent closing of the monorail an hour after park closing really put a cramp on that plan considering we have a lot of late night dining out side of our hotel.

But when I can i have made it a point to use disney transportation this upcoming trip
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

There have been times that it has taken forever waiting for a bus while AT the resort, to go to the parks. So we've hopped in the car and driven. But we've also taken the bus a lot of times too. It's nice to have the option.
    But I'm not a fan of driving to the MK either. Then you have to take multiple forms of transportation to get to the car again, but if you've taken the bus, you can go right out and hopefully hop on it.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

The buses are fine.
    It's very simple, stay away from the peak times. Go when others aren't, if you don't want to deal with crowded buses. 60-90 minutes either way will make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Have had rental cars at WDW but we take the buses. Talking to other visitors on the bus is fun and we don't get lost going back to resort after long day at the parks. We had gotten lost a few times going " home" and have seen some crazy drivers on property.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

With my EWC we bring the van most of the time. So much easer then loading onto the bus's plus we keep a cooler with cold drinks for the ride back to the resort.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah this is a tough one.

I can see the benefit of having a car as being ultimate convenience. Coming and going, not waiting for crowded buses.

The negative is that you have to worry about driving and parking, and I think it takes you out of the magic of the world a bit. It's nice to just rely totally on Disney services. It's all also included in the price you pay for park admission and hotel stay.

I would say if you are going at a time of year when it is less crowded, take the bus. But if its super crowded and you want to get to the parks as early and quickly as possible take the car.

Post Thanks / Like

We always drive. We get the car at the airport and we alway go off Disney property a few times each trip.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it both ways, and I have to say I really prefer having a car and driving to the parks. It's just so much more convenient to me. When I'm ready to go, I just hop in the car and go! Parking is free when you stay at WDW resort.

There is the matter of parking and walking to the tram once you get there, but overall I still prefer it. The trams always seem to be there by the time i get to the loading area, or if they aren't it's never a long wait.
    Cindy

1981 Off Site WDW
    1983 Disneyland
    1997 Polynesian
    2000 Villas @ Disney Institute
    2000 Off Site
    2001 ASMusic
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2007 ASMusic
    2009 - Caribbean Beach
    October 2012 - My 40th birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW buses vs. Driving your own car to parks

We usually stay at Poly, our next trip we will be at a moderate or Swan/Dolphin. Do you think it is faster to drive your own car to parks from these resorts than take the bus? I do remember the parking lots being so huge that when we drove it was a lot of walking just to get to the entrance of parks. Obviously I know you have to stand and wait for bus to arrive, but would buses drop you off right in front and be less walking to entrance?
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: