Quantcast What (about your kids) surprised you?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What (about your kids) surprised you?

I've been thinking about the past 3 years with our son and thought this might be an interesting thread.

What attractions were you really excited about your child/children seeing that they didn't seem all that crazy about? Or, what attraction did they really enjoy that you would never have believed that they would like?

I can't think of anything my son (now 6) doesn't like about WDW. After 3 trips there he seems like an expert and loves it all.

But, there are 2 attractions that I am surprised he really likes.

1st was Carousel of Progress. It was closed the first year he went, but he fell in love with it when he was only 4! Very Surprising to me, although that is one of my favorites since I was a pre-teen.

2nd was The Great Movie Ride last year when he was 5. We had to go right back on it (and we had to wait extra long because I asked the CM if we could do the "other" version").

So, how did your kids surprise you??

Tom

Urbs
    Cresson, PA

Off Site - 76, 79, 82, 90
    Dixie Landings - 97
    Contemporary - 03
    ASM - 9/08
    PC 10/09 & 10/10
    FQ 11/12
    BW & CB 6/13
    Off Site (Parkway International) 9/13
    Shades of Green 9/14
    DCL (Wonder) 10/14
    AK Lodge & BW 5/15
    FW 9/15
    Shades of Green 3/16

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our 2 boys are 20 & 11 years old and have had 2 trips the past 3 years. My biggest surprise is that my 20 year old son keeps asking when we are going back. I thought for sure he'd think it was just a "so so" vacation but our trips have been so wonderful that he's hooked! Gotta love it!! They both grew up with the Disney classics and to see my older son in the ship for Peter Pan with a huge grin on his face makes my heart melt! You are never too old to enjoy Disney
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I've told this story before, so I apologize for those that have heard it, but I'm still surprised how much they love Dumbo. I figured since they were 6 and 9 for our trip, that they would want to start with Space or Splash Mountain, but they insisted on starting with Dumbo.
    Now Splash Mountain is their favorite ride, and I figured that they'd want to start with that ride next year, since they'd be 8 and 11, but guess what...we're going to start with Dumbo again.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

My youngest has always loved COP. It surprised me that he sat through it so interested at just 9 months old the first time, while other kids were screaming with boredom! Now at 9 years old he still loves this attraction, and its a must do for him on every trip.

My kids are kind of "old souls" when it comes to WDW. They like the thrill rides, but there is a very special place in their hearts for all the classic Disney rides. I don't think they'll ever think they are too old for Peter Pan, POTC, HM, TTA, COP, and all the other non thrill rides WDW has. My oldest sometimes doesn't want to do some of the thrill rides, even tho he's ridden them before and liked them. He'll often as me if I want to "people watch" with him while his dad and little brother ride some of the thrill rides. I always get a kick out of that!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter loves Living With The Land. She's 28 now but has loved it since she was a little girl. This amazes me because she has always been such a girlie girl. She's never been into farming or anything "outdoorsy". Amazing!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

that my daughter fell in love with Figment way back in the day and still loves him as a college freshman.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We're taking my son for his first trip n a few days... but I've been really surprised at how much he enjoys reading the Imagineers' Guides to the parks. He loves looking at the artwork, looking at the maps, etc. I'll update with his park surprises when we get back!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

While waiting for the Great Movies ride to start the CM asked trivia stuff. My 21 year old son knew the correct names of Donald's nephews.
    I certainly did not.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

My girls were 2 & 3 the 1st time they the MK so we did a lot of Fantasyland rides and they loved them all. When we finally made it back when they were in 3rd & 4th grade they surprised me by falling in love with the COP - to this day it is a MUST ride every time we go. They LOVE it!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

When my son was younger, he really loved RnRC. A few years back he decided he didn't like it and now as a teen still refuses to go on it. I was a little surprised at that. He says it's the sudden takeoff. We'll see...
    AP Platinum/Florida resident

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryca1dreams View Post
    When my son was younger, he really loved RnRC. A few years back he decided he didn't like it and now as a teen still refuses to go on it. I was a little surprised at that. He says it's the sudden takeoff. We'll see...
    My oldest son has done the same thing. He used to love ToT, RNRC, and Everest. He now says the falling in ToT, the sudden take off and loops in RNRC and the backwards part of Everest gives him an uneasy feeling in his stomach and chest so he'll often not want to ride them. Once in a while he'll brave RNRC and Everest, and enjoys them when he does it. I think it depends on how he's feeling before he rides. However, ToT is an absolute NO GO for him now.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

My 5 year son loves Living with the Land. He loved it when he was 4 also....would talk about whenever DW came up.

Post Thanks / Like

My son really loved Winnie the Pooh, even though he doesn't watch the show or the movies. That surprised me. My daughter surprised me with her being a thrill seeker. At the age of 3, she was 40 inches and begging to go on Tower of Terror. She loved it. Weird.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gregandmel View Post
    Our 2 boys are 20 & 11 years old and have had 2 trips the past 3 years. My biggest surprise is that my 20 year old son keeps asking when we are going back. I thought for sure he'd think it was just a "so so" vacation but our trips have been so wonderful that he's hooked! Gotta love it!! They both grew up with the Disney classics and to see my older son in the ship for Peter Pan with a huge grin on his face makes my heart melt! You are never too old to enjoy Disney
    That surprised my dad as well with my sister and I. We kept doing family vacations until I was in my 20's (i'm the oldest). Now that I have my own family, we still go to WDW. Hmm, maybe I should bring the old folks in tow...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kids can be surprising

The first time my kids went to Disney was Disneyland when they were 8 and 12.

DD2 has always been very shy and sensitive, so you can imagine my surprise when she turned out to be a roller coaster demon. After going on California Screamin' her older sister declared, "you people are insane! I'm not going on there again!" Which meant that I was the designated roller coaster co-rider for the trip!

This past trip to WDW in August we all enjoyed Rock 'n Roller Coaster - several times!
    Lisaj13
    Disneyland - Four times
    Disney World - Three times

Post Thanks / Like

That my daughter would rather go to WDW than ANYWHERE else with just me (she's got 3 brothers and a father - DH) for her HS graduation trip. So my then 17 yr old and I will be at WDW in June of next year.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was 4 years old on her first trip to WDW and I kid you not, her favorite attraction was the POFQ pool! We had to literally beg and bribe her to go the parks in the morning. At one point we even had to lie to her, with the help of a Lifeguard, by telling her that the resort pools are closed in the am until lunch for cleaning...

Fast forward 6 years and 8 trips later, her most favorite ride is Test Track, then all the mountains. The Magic Carpets ride always has a soft spot for all of us as she loves having the camel spit on her Dad.

Post Thanks / Like

My kids had been going to Disneyland from the time they were babies, so they were familiar with all those rides.

But, when we first took them to WDW, and they were 5 and 4, their favorite ride was...Spaceship Earth! I couldn't believe it. We must have rode it 15 times that week. We're going back (2 years later) in December, and that's what they want to ride first. I mean, I love SSE, but I can't say that I liked it that much when I was their age.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

On my DD's second trip to WDW, she was 2 1/2 YO. I was amazed at how much she liked the dark or scary rides. She loved Haunted Mansion. She loved Hopper in It's Tough to be a Bug; Ursula in Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I thought they'd frighten her, but they didn't.

On her next trip (DD5), she took a fascination with Carousel of Progress. Since my wife can visit that attraction only once during a vacation, it was I who sat through that show MULTIPLE times.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

My son is pretty fearless so I was surprised that he isn't a big fan of Tower of Terror...

An old attraction I absolutely hated and would think my son would have hated also was Tarzan Rocks...he loved it. He also loves Living with the Land, but I like it too

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: