Quantcast Too Old?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Old?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too Old?

A lady sitting next to me on the airplane home this week said her kids - 12 & 9, are too old for DisneyWorld. She said this was her first trip, and she's never going back. She said some rides were good one time, but now that they've done it everything is boring. I'm not joking.

So, are the kids to old, or just bringing the wrong attitude? Seemed to me it started with the mom, and the kids followed. It was all kinda sad to listen to.

We had a great time! Kids 6 & 7 enjoying every minute of Pooh, Small World, Dumbo and Peter Pan. Couldn't get my 7 yr old on Splash, Space, Kali or Everest among others. Just keeps us interested for the next trip with new things to do!
    Feb 1990 - FW
    Oct 2000 - YC
    Sept 2001 - MK
    May 2002 - DL
    Sept 2004 - BW
    Dec 2004 - WL
    Feb 2005 - POFQ
    Oct 2007 - FW CABIN
    Dec 2008 - ASMov
    Oct 2009 - DVC Member!
    Jan 2010 - SSR
    Aug 2011 - BLT, Universal, BCV
    April 2012 - WL Villas
    Feb 2013 - Disneyland!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been going to WDW since 1984. I never get tired or bored

I think some people just aren't into WDW and that's fine. Perhaps the mom isn't that into rides, maybe she was hot & miserable, maybe it ended up costing more than she really wanted to spend, maybe the lines were to long? Who knows.

I just know I'll be at WDW as long as I can afford it and I have my health

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

Banish them to six flags..

Post Thanks / Like

MMMM, definitely mom's attitude. Too many people go to DW and only go for the rides. Wrong attitude. You have to enjoy the street shows, parades, characters, FOOD, attractions, resorts, etc. I love going just to hear, "welcome home".
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

It's obviously their (bad) attitude. I'll outgrow WDW when I'm DEAD!

Our kids were a perfect 6 and 9 for our first trip as a family of four, and next trip they should be 8 and 11, which may be even better because they'll be even more mobile. To me, the older you are, the more you should appreciate it.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    Banish them to six flags..
    Shorter lines for the rest of us!!!
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    It's obviously their (bad) attitude. I'll NEVER outgrow WDw, and I'm 40 and counting.

Our kids were a perfect 6 and 9 for our first trip as a family of four, and next trip they should be 8 and 11, which may be even better because they'll be even more mobile. To me, the older you are, the more you should appreciate it.
    here here my sentiments exactly..... my sons first trip he was still inside me. my first trip was 12 years ago and i love going every single year. going this oct for our first ever 10 day stay. very excited to have the extra time. explained to my hubby that we needed the extra time there because we havent had enough time in the parks the past 2 years with our son taking naps. he would not sleep unless we left the park. also trying the fast service this year since getting him to sit down for any length of time was almost impossible. I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF WDW. I STILL HAVE NOT DONE IT ALL YET.

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I agree that WDW isn't for everybody. As to age ~ NEVER TOO OLD!!

We started going as adults in our 30s. My parents LOVE going and their first trip was in their 70's.

From the flip side, I can't do the all inclusive trips where all you can do is drink and sit by the pool.

You may only be young once, but you can be immature FOREVER.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hearing the opposite from a friend - her husband says their daughter (age 7) is too young for Disney! She is at the perfect age IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AllDisney View Post
    We have been going to WDW since 1984. I never get tired or bored

I think some people just aren't into WDW and that's fine. Perhaps the mom isn't that into rides, maybe she was hot & miserable, maybe it ended up costing more than she really wanted to spend, maybe the lines were to long? Who knows.

I just know I'll be at WDW as long as I can afford it and I have my health
    I totally agree. We had friends say the same thing after their one and only trip. But after talking to them about it, the complaints were mostly about long lines, high temps, and the cost. Also, they could never get in to eat at any of the table service restaurants and they were so sick of the fast food. Of course we know you need to plan ahead to get reservations these days. And I must admit, we enjoy it more during cooler and less crowded times.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people just aren't theme park people, let alone Disney people. I think some of these people take their families to WDW because they are constantly being told that they NEED to go and then they don't enjoy their vacation because they are so far out of the realm of things that they enjoy.

For the record, I think this is okay. There are certain vacations that I would rather not go on, too :-)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Some people just love to complain. This woman is one of them!
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I know what her problem was....she didn't have planners like us here at Intercot to help her with the vacation.

But seriously, it does sound like her attitude rubbed off on her kids. People sometimes just don't realize, you need to look at it as though you're a kid yourself when entering the parks and going through them. Let your imagination explode and run free. Outside of WDW and the other Disney parks, you will rarely find another place that puts so much into the theming. And the kind of vacation each person SHOULD have takes careful planning as well as finding out strategies and tips for going through the parks. I've always told my friends, if they ever decide to take a vacation to WDW, they better come to me first so I can help them with getting the most out of their time there.
    28 times to WDW and still going since 1984!! Most recent visit: November/December 2011...Far too long since my last visit! :'(

Personally, I believe it didn't start with a mouse. It started with a man that had one of the greatest imaginations in this world.

Post Thanks / Like

No one, and I mean NO ONE, is ever too chronilogically (sp?) too old for Disney World. Some people may be mentally too old (sounds like this may be her case) or have the wrong attitude or have misconceptions (I truly feel sorry for the folks in this category) or just don't get the magic. I'm thrilled that my almost 20 year old daughter enjoys it more each and every time we go, and very happy my family gets the magic and has the right attitude. As for the people like that lady and her kids, so be it, less people in line in front of me!
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Mom has issues... My DH and I are in our 50's our children in their 30's and grandchildren 2,4,8 and none of us can get enough Disney... Heading there in 11 days and we all cannot wait to make more memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, just a bad attitude, IMO. I think some people aren't affected by the atmosphere, so WDW might as well be any other theme park to them. Or they're in the, "check this off my list" mindset and don't take time to enjoy it--they just want to do it to get it over and move on to the next thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it has anything to do with age, for me its all in your state of mind. I'll never be too old for DisneyWorldmjump:

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

To old?? NEVER!!! My daughter and I are planning a June trip for next year. Her HS graduation gift and a birthday trip for me. It has been almost 8 years since she went last and over 2 since I went last. We are both looking forward to it. She wants to get a Hidden Mickey book to have fun with and a Passporter book to journal the trip.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent_vf View Post
    I'm hearing the opposite from a friend - her husband says their daughter (age 7) is too young for Disney! She is at the perfect age IMHO.
    7 is an awesome age!! We leave in 13 days for our next trip and this will be my 6 year old's 4th trip! How old does she want her kids to be?

As for the disney is boring thing my nephews said the same thing. They went once during a crowded time on a school band trip and hated it. They never got to ride any of the really good rides and it was very planned out. So they do not want anything to do with disney. That first trip is so important when it comes to one's opinion of disney world. Like everyone else is saying shorter lines for us.
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Well we all know, there are people that "get it" and those that don't! It seems to me, so many people that I know that have taken that first trip, ill prepared, having done no homework & nary a plan, especially those that go during the heat & humidty of summer with no plan, do not enjoy WDW & vow to never return! Which is really a shame, but understandable that they might feel that way! I know people that don't even roll into the parks until noon & then comlain about the long lines & miss half of the attractions!

My DS's, 14 & 15 asked to go back to WDW this year rather than the beach trip we had planned! I'm thinking/hoping that they'll never outgrow the magic at WDW! Even my 68 DM loves WDW! But I agree 100 % that the parents attitude definitely spills over to the childs experience! I personally know alot of people that aren't Disney people! , I get alot of grief from those friends! I just tell them that I'm in touch with my inner child & still love the magic that we experience in WDW! Everything isn't for everybody, but I think that we WDW fanactics have a hard time sometimes understanding how anyone could not "get it"!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: