Quantcast Refillable Mug Price Increase

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Refillable Mug Price Increase

I saw today that the refillable mugs are now $14.90 plus tax. The price increase started on 8/25. Sure glad I got mine at the lower price
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

With the RFID tags rolling out, people will not be able to "steal" drinks anymore.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    With the RFID tags rolling out, people will not be able to "steal" drinks anymore.
    It's about time! Did this start already?
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

All of the details can be found in this thread.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Terrible! but i guess it is a souvenier so I will pay for it of course. Still have my last one from 2005! They last and makes me think of Disney all the time.

That said, 4 of them at $15 a pop is a lot of $$$..
    GO CARDINALS GO RAMS
    OFFSITE 1983
    OFFSITE 2001
    POR 2005 -- 9/28-10/4
    CBR 2011 -- 10/7-10/12

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Big Brother have better things to do than be the soda police?

For every bottled Coke product they sell for $2.50, they are making 100% profit. It's all donated by Coca-Cola. I'd say that more than makes up for people "stealing" from the soda fountain.

Sure, it could be purely based on the principle of "following the rules", but with Disney, it always comes down to money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ValenciaCalling View Post
    Doesn't Big Brother have better things to do than be the soda police?

For every bottled Coke product they sell for $2.50, they are making 100% profit. It's all donated by Coca-Cola. I'd say that more than makes up for people "stealing" from the soda fountain.

Sure, it could be purely based on the principle of "following the rules", but with Disney, it always comes down to money.
    What you have to keep in mind is it doesn't matter about how little it cost them if a small percentage of guests "steal" soda or don't exactly follow the soda rules.....it is about how much profit they would make if even a small percentage of those people opted to pay for that soda vs getting water if they had no other choice. Those profits can go toward things like improving the parks and yes of course to paying the higher-ups more money as well. However, I believe they would be better off selling the mugs or sodas at a more affordable price to get even more people to pay for the mugs; maybe $10 for mugs and back to $2.00 for bottled soda and $1.99 and $2.29 for regular and large fountain sodas. But then again if people, including me, are already paying those prices then why decrease them?

Post Thanks / Like

NO IT IS NOT DONATED TO DISNEY!! Really aplace that large and Coke would just give it to them..
    My son in law works in the offices at Pepsi it is not free It cost them85.00 per box. It comes in a box now mixed with carbonated water after the dispense. It cost 10 cents a cup for most convenience stores so the ice their water bill for mixing the carbonation and the ice cost them something . No it need not be that expensive. But it probably based on most people do refill more than once while eating. So if you get 3 refills for 2.29. Thats a bargain for you. Less for them. The only time soda is donated is usually to a little league, school type things and then not very often. I just wish they had Pepsi at the world. Coke taste like cigarettes smell yuckyyyyyyyy
    Connie
    Dec 8-15 2007 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 5-14 2008 All Star Music Suites
    Dec 7-16 2009 POP
    Last trip for a long while JAN 20-28

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to argue with you, but I know for a fact that it is donated. I was told this by one of my managers while I was working there. He said it smuggly, and bragged about how much of a profit they make from it.

I understand their reasoning, but the id tags just creep me out. The fact that they are now sewing them into cast member costumes too is just as disturbing.

Post Thanks / Like

The Coca-Cola products aren't donated to Disney Parks, they are provided in lieu of a monetary sponsorship fee to be the sole beverage provider in the Disney Parks. They get presence in the parks (advertising) in exchange for providing the drinks at "no cost" and Disney gets to keep 100% of the profits from sale. It's a "win win" for both sides.

The other companies that "sponsor" either specific attractions or exhibits within the Disney parks pay a HUGE fee to do so. It's in the tens of thousands of dollars (and up) per year. For example, GM's sponsorship of Test Track cost $100 MILLION for 10 years...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I posted just to let everyone know the prices went up. The machines are still the same as before at this time.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I am aware of how the process works. Next time, I'll be sure not to use the word "donate" when talking about "providing something free of charge"...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    I posted just to let everyone know the prices went up. The machines are still the same as before at this time.

Thanks for the info!
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I have to add that Coca-Cola typically leases out the new Freestyle machines, even if they provide the syrup for free. So Disney most likely will be paying out for that. But I do not argue that the new system will ensure higher profits for Disney, more so in mug sales rather than soda waste/loss. But in all fairness, they are a business and a higher profit margin is a goal for all businesses and their share-holders. As long as we the consumer are willing to pay for it, they have no reason to do otherwise.

To the OP, thanks for the information about the mug price increase.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be possible for Disney to lower the cost for drinks back a bit once the profits from soda sales are good enough to make up for 'lost profits' due to those not paying what Disney wants them to for drinks?
    There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually stay out of the mug discussions. But, I have to admit that whenever someone uses the argument that the Coke is "free" for Disney in some way in response to complaints about people stealing it, I'm absolutely puzzled. If Disney gave someone a free VIP FastPass would that make it ok for someone else to steal it from them?

I do get the frustration over increasing costs. We're feeling it everywhere, the grocery store, the gas station, etc. It would be wonderful if Disney reduced the price on something to make it more affordable. However, it doesn't matter what they pay for a product, they're not obligated to give it away themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point in my life where I'm pretty much over souvenirs, I'm thankful we're close enough to drive to WDW and therefore bring our own drinks with us. Like someone mentioned before, 4 mugs is a lot of $$$$, and for essentially what we would spend for 1 1/2 mugs, we can bring enough drinks for the week - 2 12 packs of soda, 6 pack of Gatorade and a case of water, and then use the coffee provided in the rooms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lighteningqueen View Post
    . . . Pepsi it is not free It cost them85.00 per box . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by ValenciaCalling View Post
    . . . they are making 100% profit. It's all donated by Coca-Cola . . .

1) Weeding through the hype and rumor . . .
    2) Coke provides the soda free to Disney.
    3) This is a promotional and marketing expense.
    4) Coke has been with Disney since 1950.
    5) Pepsi had a shot at the Disney franchise once.
    6) But, Coke underbid Pepsi
    . . . free soda syrup
    . . . reduced costs for advertising and displays
    . . . reduced costs for signage, equip, cups
    7) Pepsi would not match the price.

8) Disney does pay for
    . . . cups
    . . . ice
    . . . dispensing equip, manpower, other costs
    . . . disposal
    . . . storage and retrieval

NOTE: Pepsi sponsored "it's a small world" for the
    World's Fair. In 1998, Pepsi got a contract for all
    non-park ESPN Zone restaurants. Pepsi was also
    sold at the Disney-owned Angels games.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    At this point in my life where I'm pretty much over souvenirs...
    Agreed, our budget for Disney trips included only the following:

Food - Highest expense in recent years
    Tickets - Usually an AP
    Accommodations - paid for by DVC dues
    Travel - This doesn't go to Disney, but still an expense...

There isn't a line for souvenirs, it's all junk, so Disney made this decision easy for us.

We're working on the food part, DVC allows in room food preparation and we're learning to actually enjoy it. With the menu changes, etc, I'm preferring home cooked meals over park food these days.

We also found less need for APs via more resort time.

As far as soda goes, we stay away from it, it doesn't really hydrate as well as good old water. I can't even remember the last time we got a refillable mug.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Weeding through the hype and rumor . . .
    2) Coke provides the soda free to Disney.
    3) This is a promotional and marketing expense.
    4) Coke has been with Disney since 1950.
    5) Pepsi had a shot at the Disney franchise once.
    6) But, Coke underbid Pepsi
    . . . free soda syrup
    . . . reduced costs for advertising and displays
    . . . reduced costs for signage, equip, cups
    7) Pepsi would not match the price.

8) Disney does pay for
    . . . cups
    . . . ice
    . . . dispensing equip, manpower, other costs
    . . . disposal
    . . . storage and retrieval

NOTE: Pepsi sponsored "it's a small world" for the
    World's Fair. In 1998, Pepsi got a contract for all
    non-park ESPN Zone restaurants. Pepsi was also
    sold at the Disney-owned Angels games.
    All good points. I think that there can be a middle ground. It seems that there are a lot of inconsistencies with the Disney Pricing Gods and this is the area I choose to put my 2 cents. Some things there are very comparable to most normal places you would go back home and other things are like, Man is THAT pricey! I realize that restaurants prob cost more bc if they didnt they would just be overrun with people wanting to eat at them. I also understand that tickets are increasing bc they are always renovating and adding and I think their tickets are very affordable. I think their drinks, on the other hand, are very expensive and I think it is only human nature, when handed something free of charge to want to get the most use out of this area bc you figure I better take advantage of this bc it is our ticket to ride. Having said that, I dont think the mugs are a bad deal at all. I mean, its unlimited refills. So if you stay 2 weeks you paid $14.00 for soda for that time period and that is insanely cheap for you considering the prices in the parks for a soda. We arent big soda drinkers and have almost completely eliminated it from our household so I am not sure this is even an issue for us in the future. I think we will be more likely to get smoothies and milkshakes, carry a water into the park and refill it at the drinking fountains, and juice for the tykes. Soda is def. cheaper than these other options but it isnt as healthy either. It is so funny that us humans get so bent out of shape about injesting something that could possibly be a significant health issue for them someday.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD