Quantcast A little help, please.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default A little help, please.

Mom knows her time is short. Her body may live another 30 years but her mind will not. She wants to see and do all that she can now. Heck, I would feel the same way.

I want to be able to give her all of the experiences that I can. Otherwise, I would not be taking her to WDW and all of the other places. When I took her to WDW after the Doctors first released her to go last October. I thought that would be the one and only trip I would be able to take her on. Boy, was I wrong. I have had an amazing year with her. Now we are set to go again in just a month.

The problem is that she is asking to do things that I am not entirely comfortable with. She wants to ride "everything" this trip. That is the exact word she said to me today. After talking with her she feels that I am too protective. That is so odd. The child protecting the parent. But, that is what I have to do now.

She suffered a brain injury in an automobile accident and has dementia and Alzheimers. The Aricept has worked wonders and she has more good days and moments than bad now. Such a blessing! As I grow older she grows younger. She can walk, only she shuffles her feet along the ground because she has very little balance. If she picks a foot up off of the ground she will fall. Even sitting down she will lose her balance. She has a terrible time going up or down a step or curb. We use the wheelchair because it is not safe to the innocent people around her if she drives an ECV. Just ask the people she has run into at Wally World.

The question is where do I draw the line on the rides? She wants to ride them all. I know she can not climb in or out of the PoTC boats. So that is an easy "no." But she wants me to help her on the moving platforms so she can ride Peter Pan and the People mover. Well that scares me. I think I can get her on them safely, but would feel terrible if she stumbles. Should I try a moving platform? And if so which one would be the easiest one to try first? HM will stop the platform for her to load. But most others will not. I know the obvious rides to say "no" to, like Space mountain. But what about BTMRR? She wants to ride that. She rode Dinosaur last year and it scared her. If I was in her situation, I would not want anyone holding me back. But, I am torn with being the one to think rationally for her and being the one to let her enjoy all that she can.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Disney is a wonderful place to be for folks with disabilities as they are so accommodating.

Does POTC not have a wheelchair boat where you don't have to transfer? You might check on that. I know small world does. I thought I had seen one at POTC.

On the moving platforms, they slow it way down for a guest who needs it. I've seen that at both Peter Pan and HM. Just let the CM know you have a transfer issue.

You know best what your Mom can do, but I think you'll be able to do most everything she wants with no worries.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ! I say go for it.Most rides if not all at Disney accomadate wheelchairs.Especially at Magic Kingdom.Now I would definitely draw the line at rides such as Aerosmith Rockn'roller coaster,Tower of Terror,Expedition Everest,etc. Lol Those are too intense for me.I hope you and your mother have a magical time at Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know this is really is a dilemma...I think I would call WDW guest relations line and see if there is someone you can talk to about it. I know that some of the rides state whether they are transferable or not, but there may be other alternatives that you are not aware of...If I was at all uncertain I just think I would err on the side of caution...safety first.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Disney is a wonderful place to be for folks with disabilities as they are so accommodating.

Does POTC not have a wheelchair boat where you don't have to transfer? You might check on that. I know small world does. I thought I had seen one at POTC.

On the moving platforms, they slow it way down for a guest who needs it. I've seen that at both Peter Pan and HM. Just let the CM know you have a transfer issue.

You know best what your Mom can do, but I think you'll be able to do most everything she wants with no worries.
    Thanks, Chris
    I asked about the boats for PoTC last December and was told that they do not have a wheelchair boat and they probably would never have one due to the "drop."

Quote Originally Posted by cajundisneyfreak View Post
    Hi ! I say go for it.Most rides if not all at Disney accomadate wheelchairs.Especially at Magic Kingdom.Now I would definitely draw the line at rides such as Aerosmith Rockn'roller coaster,Tower of Terror,Expedition Everest,etc. Lol Those are too intense for me.I hope you and your mother have a magical time at Disney.
    Hi!!
    Mom wanted to go on MS last year. I talked to the CM at the queue. They said she could handle it. We got a green ticket and off we went. Well, mom did not like it at all and was very disoriented afterwards and it took me and a CM about 5 minutes to get her out of the ride vehicle. (sorry to all of those waiting to board) She is very excited about the new Star Tours. I was telling my sister about it because she is going down this Sunday. Mom was listening and wants to try that one. I'm worried about that one being too much like the MS one was.

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    I don't know this is really is a dilemma...I think I would call WDW guest relations line and see if there is someone you can talk to about it. I know that some of the rides state whether they are transferable or not, but there may be other alternatives that you are not aware of...If I was at all uncertain I just think I would err on the side of caution...safety first.
    The parks have a "guest with disabilities" guide map that shows which rides have to transfer and so forth. I found the actual CM's at the ride queues to be much more helpful than the maps. And I agree, "Safety First"
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    She is very excited about the new Star Tours...I'm worried about that one being too much like the MS one was.
    If your Mom had a rough go with Green MS, which doesn't move at all, she'd REALLY have a rough time with ST which moves all over the place. I have inner ear issues. MS doesn't bother me at all, but it always takes me a little while after ST to get my balance again (though I ride it anyway because I love it )
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have any additional advice but I just wanted to say that I hope you all have an amazing trip. I know it can be stressful on you (I have a mother with mobility issues) but you are making memories that will bring you comfort in the times ahead and are making your mothers time so enjoyable. Have a wonderful time!
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, what about trying some new things other than rides? Instead of riding things she's never riden, maybe you can explore some areas outside of the parks. Have you ever been to the Boardwalk? What about resort hopping and/or trying a new restaurant? Stay over a little late at one of the resorts to watch the Electric Light Boat Parade. Or Cirque de Solei at DTD? Just some ideas

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Harrisonburg, VA--too far from the magic!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, what about trying some new things other than rides? Instead of riding things she's never riden, maybe you can explore some areas outside of the parks. Have you ever been to the Boardwalk? What about resort hopping and/or trying a new restaurant? Stay over a little late at one of the resorts to watch the Electric Light Boat Parade. Or Cirque de Solei at DTD? Just some ideas
    Those are some great ideas. Another idea is one of the tours. We did the backstage magic tour of the MK last January and Mom loved it. She uses an ECV and they were great to make sure that she could get on and off of everything and even let us use a backstage elevator so she could go upstairs to eat with the rest of the group.
    șoș Tiffany șoș

Many trips offsite growing up
    2/08 CBR
    10/09 Pop/POFQ
    12/09-1/10 POR/CR
    10/10 POLY
    12/11 POFQ

Next Up:
    POFQ 10/14 - 11/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    If your Mom had a rough go with Green MS, which doesn't move at all, she'd REALLY have a rough time with ST which moves all over the place. I have inner ear issues. MS doesn't bother me at all, but it always takes me a little while after ST to get my balance again (though I ride it anyway because I love it )
    Thank you so much for that info, Chris. Very helpful indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by beksy View Post
    I don't really have any additional advice but I just wanted to say that I hope you all have an amazing trip. I know it can be stressful on you (I have a mother with mobility issues) but you are making memories that will bring you comfort in the times ahead and are making your mothers time so enjoyable. Have a wonderful time!
    Thanks!

Thanks,
    Boardwalk, yes. Resort hopped the Christmas deco's. I am taking her to several new restaurants. Now the water parade we have not done and I think that would be awesome! Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by beksy View Post
    Those are some great ideas. Another idea is one of the tours. We did the backstage magic tour of the MK last January and Mom loved it. She uses an ECV and they were great to make sure that she could get on and off of everything and even let us use a backstage elevator so she could go upstairs to eat with the rest of the group.
    I was thinking of doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour one morning. Was afraid of how we would get her upstairs at CHH to eat with the group. Thank you so much for that info!!
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

This is not unlike when my sister went with her daughter who was about 7 months pregnant. What to do?

One thing they did was to visit the monorail resorts and visit the lounges. My niece had non-alcoholic drinks of course. And they looked around in the shops at each resort. They had a good time doing that.

Also, there is the chose a pearl at Japan. That was a great experience for my niece. And she got a nice pearl.

Perhaps you could do dessert or snack around the world at Epcot also. Or maybe the Kim Possible Adventure. Has she got her Epcot Passport all stamped and signed?

Stop by the Harmony Barbershop at MK and get her hair trimmed. With pixie dust.

Are there sidewalk artists in DHS? Maybe she'd like to have a drawing of herself - or you - done to look at when she's back at home.

I've heard of the KidSpots at AK but don't know what they involve. Maybe she'd like that too.

Does redirection work with your mom? When she thinks she'd like to do PotC (or whatever) can you redirect her, saying you know, we have never done this, let's try this instead.

Of course you'll have to have some alternatives. Has she been on Aladdin's Magic Carpet? My niece takes her daughter on that every trip - first thing. I read somewhere just recently that the front controls go up and down, while the back seat controls tip forward or backward. Not sure if that's correct (or anything your mom would be needing to do) but that could certainly make for an interesting ride. AMC is easier to get in and out of than is Dumbo, altho they're basically the same. And early in the morning, it's not busy at all.

At MK, one trip we did the shooting gallery (exercise in futility) and another trip the little remote control boats, over by Jungle Cruise. This takes extra money, but your mom might never have done either and might really get a kick out of the experiences.

Instead of Space Mountain, perhaps she'd like to try one of the arcade games in the shop in the exit area for Space Mountain. Here again, more money but perhaps a completely different - new? - experience.

Am so glad to hear that the Aricept is helping. Good to know info, as some of our older family members seem poised to enter some new lands. (sigh)

Good luck and hope the next few trips are more fun than frustrating.

Jan

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: