Quantcast Driving through the night?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving through the night?

For those of you that make the long trip to WDW by driving through the night, what kinds of things do you do to prepare yourself (and DH) for the ride? We plan on doing this for the 1st time in a few weeks, and I am afraid we won't make it and will have to stop for sleep!

Also, recommend any offsite hotels you have stayed at, we only need 1 night since we will be arriving in Orlando area Sat and we check in to WDW on Sunday. Thanks sooo much!!
    Next trip...
    1/16~AKL/AS Mo

Past trips...
    10/2015~Long Overdue Honeymoon @ the Disneyland Hotel! 1st visit to DL!!
    11/14~AS Mu
    3/14~Off Site
    11/13~AS Sp
    8/11~POR
    2/11~AS Mo
    4/09~Pop
    8/07-9/07~AS Sp
    GOT ENGAGED BY CASTLE!!
    12/06-1/07~AS Mo/AS Sp
    05/05~AS Mu
    08/00~Off Site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

There are advantages and disadvantages to driving at night. If you are not use to it, I do not recommend it. It only takes a split second of accidentally dozing off. At 70-80MPH, this becomes a tragedy. Now, if you are able to manage it is not too big of a deal. Have an iPod or something with headphones. Switch off frequently. Only drive 2-3 hours at a time while the others sleep.

For me, I can sleep 2 hours at night and be fine for the next 20. I do know exactly when I am too tired and that is it as well. When we went to Orlando in June, I slept 2 horrible hours in a hard bed. Threw my DW and DD in the car and hit the road again.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

When the kids were younger I did the drive all night thing. Left around 11 pm and arrived at WDW by 7 am. I like the peace and quiet and no traffic. However, I usually got in bed around 8 and slept for 2, 2.5 hours before doing the drive. If I got that, I was fine, but no way would I attempt it without sleep. Not worth the risk. As for the off-site hotel, I would suggest doing Priceline for that. I've gotten some good deals for that 1 night stay before the vacation starts the next day.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

i have done it twice... I use lots of 6 hour energy's

plus I usually work a 1/2 day then sleep for about 3 hours before the trip starts.... then we would take off... leave at 10pm and then arrive at 5pm the next day
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

We've always been too nervous to drive through the night, just too much risk of one of us falling asleep, even with two drivers.

What we do, is leave super early in the AM (like 4am or 5am) and drive until we drop (usually around 8pm). We stop for the night, and drive the rest of the way to Disney, and check in right after lunch.

Since you're arriving a day earlier anyways, this might be an option.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We leave from south Jersey at about 6 am and stop in St. Augustine around 8-9 pm. There is a great Hampton Inn right off I95. We stop for gas and dinner and pack lunch. It is not a bad drive and you would be at the World before noon.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    Have an iPod or something with headphones.
    CAUTION -- In many states, it is illegal to drive with headphones on. Makes it difficult to hear sirens and such.

When we lived in Maryland, we often did the straight-through drive to WDW. When we had the young'uns with us, we'd leave around 9pm or so; the kids would sleep most of the night. We'd stop somewhere for breakfast, then trudge on. Never had a problem.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I recently read that after 3 hours of nighttime driving the sleepiness and fatigue you experience compares to driving impaired. Breaks help battle the fatigue, but not the need for sleep, especiallly if you aren't used to late nights/lost sleep. We leave really early in the morning and drive until after dinner. That gets us most of the way the first day (from Michigan), we stay overnight somewhere, then are usually in WDW by early afternoon the next day.

Post Thanks / Like

We drive from Detroit down to WDW and we have learned that we are better as early morning drivers than overnight drivers. We leave at about 5 am and stop in Atlanta. We usually get there about dinner time. We then leave about 7am the next morning and are in WDW by 4pm checkin time.

And that is with a caravan of cars.

We have tried to drive overnight but, have had to stop at a hotel. Finally called it quits about 11pm or so and ironically, we left around 5 am. So while we were only there for a few hours, we really needed the shut eye.

If you are used to being up all night, say you work the 3rd shift, then go for it. But, know your limits and don't trade a safe trip for a fast one.
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

We do the straight-thru drive quite a bit also. From Toledo we find it works well for us to leave around noonish (bypassing most major cities outside of their respective rush hours) and we arrive sometime in the next morning. I usually get a good nap after dinner and take most of the early night driving, then we switch off frequently as we hit middle of the night (very important). We still almost always have about an hour when no one can continue on and we all nap at a rest area, that usually happens a little before sunrise.

It's getting a little tougher as we get older, but our daughter is now able to help as she's older and drives some too.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Ed;2192608]CAUTION -- In many states, it is illegal to drive with headphones on. Makes it difficult to hear sirens and such.

AND, the reason it is illegal in most states b/c it is dangerous and risky. Very bad advice for the driver to use headphones IMO whether it is legal or not.

I am considering driving through the night as well. I am looking at arriving to our resort between 2PM-4PM, which would require us to leave our area around 1AM-2AM our time. There will be a 1 hour time forward change once we get to the Orlando area. Fortunately, we will have three drivers to rotate the 12-hour drive. Last time we went, we did the drive during a regular time frame and we stayed at a cheap motel outside just for one night upon arriving, we then pre-checked into our resort the next morning. Afterwards, we stayed at the same cheap motel on the back end. It saved a little money, but I didn’t like the hassle of checking in and out so much. On our upcoming trip, we will pay the extra 2 nights at POPS for the convenience, plus we get the extra meals on the meal plan. I estimate the extra cost to be only about $100 or so. I thought it was a big savings doing it the other way and it really isn’t from what I have researched. Being that the POPS during the time frame we will be there we cost about $105 w/ tax and the cheap motel will run about $50 w/ tax, then we'd have to purchase meals anyway. Also, we have a BBB appointment at 9AM or so on the first day of our park days, so by staying on property after a long drive will be convenient.

So, what we plan to do is arrive to POPS, get checked in, enjoy the resort amenities (pool) and just relax before our parks kick off.

SMSP

Post Thanks / Like

We have always driven at night.

From where I am, Disney is about 12-13 hours away. We leave around 2AM central time and arrive outside the park around 3-4 PM WDW time. My father was/is the one who always drives first (but he is VERY used to it). He goes to bed super-early (around 7 PM) so he can get us going. My mom shortly follows. When driving, my mom will sleep while he's driving, and vice versa. Now that I am old enough, I will also take the wheel, mostly in FL.

We arrive the day before our check-in date, and stay off site. There's a very nice Comfort Suites outside the Main Gate that we like--also a couple of Ramada's that we approved of (esp. the pink one...I can't remember which one it is, lol). The drive may be tough, but we find it to be completely reward to get there mid-afternoon the day before and just relax in a hotel room before our busy start to WDW!

I will also mention that my father has been doing this for YEARS...close to 20, at least. And he commuites on a weekly basis. Just be sure you feel well-rested enough to take the trip before you get going (perhaps a nap in the early afternoon?)
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to KNOW how YOU are going to be on an overnight road trip!! HONESTLY...

IF you sit down at night, and can fall asleep easily in your chair, maybe an all-night road trip is NOT for you. This is ME!!! I'm tired at night. 11pm, and I want to sleep.

My husband has worked the night shift for 19 years. He can do and prefers a night road trip, and gets tired around 7am. We make a good team in this respect.

I can't drive all night. I'd fall asleep. My mother-in-law passed away a few years ago. She lived in South Carolina, and it was a 12 hour drive. My husband drove out the night she passed (planned on taking an old hand me down car from my mother for his nephew to use) and I said I'm not driving at night, I will leave with the kids at 5am, and I stuck to my guns. So easy to nod off into a tragic disaster.

Do what is right for YOU!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

We drove through the night once when our kids were younger. We had my brother in law & my sister in law so we had 4 drivers.

The one thing bad about driving straight thru was the time we arrived. We ended up getting to the resort around 10am and the room was not ready (didn't really expect it to be though) and we were DEAD TIRED!!!! I swear it felt like it should have been 10 at night not 10 in the morning, that's how tired we were! We were zombies the entire first day (the kids were fine though.......go figure!)

When we go next year we will have 4 drivers again but we are going to plan on leaving Michigan probably around 1 or 2 in the afternnon so we get to the resort at bedtime! Should take around 20 hours straight thru but we will definitely stop every now and then!
    77-85:Day Trips at Easter
    88:Fort Wilderness
    91:Swan(Honeymoon)
    99:Wilderness Lodge
    00:Caribbean Beach
    02:POR
    03:Coronado Springs/Polynesian
    04:POR/Polynesian
    06:POR
    07:POR
    08:POR
    09:Polynesian

12:POR
    14:POR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your advice!! DH is a firefighter & snow plower, so he is used to long nights of no sleep. I am figuring he can nap before we leave, and I will nap the first leg of the trip. Then we can switch on and off/sleep etc. We plan on leaving about 9pm and that should have us arriving about 3-5 pm. If it really gets to the point that we can't do it, then we just pull off and get a hotel on the way!
    Next trip...
    1/16~AKL/AS Mo

Past trips...
    11/14~AS Mu
    3/14~Off Site
    11/13~AS Sp
    8/11~POR
    2/11~AS Mo
    4/09~Pop
    8/07-9/07~AS Sp
    GOT ENGAGED BY CASTLE!!
    12/06-1/07~AS Mo/AS Sp
    05/05~AS Mu
    08/00~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't take offense at the following, but I'm a little confused. If you drive at night, and get there a day early and have to get a hotel for the first night, I don't understand why you would bother to drive through the night. If you need a hotel anyway, why not split the trip in half and do the hotel then, and arrive the day you are supposed to check into DW? We've driven from Ontario, Canada, it's about 23-24 hours We leave very early the first morning, drive until 9-10 at night, which is usually past Atlanta, GA and more than half the trip, and then do the rest the next day, we get to DW about 2-3 pm. Works out great, we're not so worn out that we have to go to bed when we get there and waste the first night. Just my two cents.
    șOș Dianne șOș

You must make a Choice to take a Chance or your life will never Change

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divinedi View Post
    Please don't take offense at the following, but I'm a little confused. If you drive at night, and get there a day early and have to get a hotel for the first night, I don't understand why you would bother to drive through the night. If you need a hotel anyway, why not split the trip in half and do the hotel then, and arrive the day you are supposed to check into DW? We've driven from Ontario, Canada, it's about 23-24 hours We leave very early the first morning, drive until 9-10 at night, which is usually past Atlanta, GA and more than half the trip, and then do the rest the next day, we get to DW about 2-3 pm. Works out great, we're not so worn out that we have to go to bed when we get there and waste the first night. Just my two cents.
    No offense taken! We thought driving with 3 kids, it would be easier to make the bulk of the trip with them sleeping. Less whining, bathroom breaks etc. Also, with making it to Orlando on Sat and staying locally Sat night, we will get a full nights sleep and then get up rested on Sunday, head to our hotel to check in and to the parks. We will have a full day that day as opposed to having to drive part of the day and check in later etc. That Sunday is our DS's bday, so we would rather spend all day in the MK then driving in our Explorer! lol
    Next trip...
    1/16~AKL/AS Mo

Past trips...
    11/14~AS Mu
    3/14~Off Site
    11/13~AS Sp
    8/11~POR
    2/11~AS Mo
    4/09~Pop
    8/07-9/07~AS Sp
    GOT ENGAGED BY CASTLE!!
    12/06-1/07~AS Mo/AS Sp
    05/05~AS Mu
    08/00~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I like to leave early, 3AM is a good time for us. I wake up bright and bushy tailed when it's time to go to Walt Disney World so I take the first shift. It was hard on our baby that last hour in the car when we drove straight through (16 hours or so) last year so even though we know we can do it (drive straight through, we've done it several times now) we are going to stop in the afternoon the first day and stay in a hotel so DS who will be 2 by then will be able to run around and play and not be cooped up in the car for too long during his awake hours. Once he's a bit older I hope to be able to drive straight through again though, it's so amazing to wake up in our own bed and eat dinner in Disney World. It feels so cool!

Happy travels!
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I drove straight through once, left NYC around 7:00 and arrived in Disney around 9:00 the next morning. I did not have trouble keeping awake, what did scare me was the thought of a deer or some other animal running into the road or the car breaking down, it is pretty dark and deserted on I-95 down south. Plus we felt pretty wiped out that first day, I would not do it again.
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Just to caveat my statement about headphones. Yes, it is probably illegal. However, you will see sirens at night LONG before you would hear them. Second, there are so few police on the highway over night to begin with. If you did see an officer, they definitely cannot see you inside your car to be able to tell if you have headphones.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: