Quantcast Shorts at Dinner

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shorts at Dinner

I was looking on the Disney Cruise Line site for the Disney Dream and for a lot of the restaurants it says that shorts are requested to not be worn at dinner. I was just wondering how strict they are with this? Do more men wear pants than shorts at dinner?
    PGM

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Somewhat unfortunately, they're not very strict about it. Personally, I prefer not seeing hairy sunburned legs at the table next to me while I'm dining. Fortunately, the majority of the men I've seen wear slacks in the restaurants.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I wish they were more strict than they are. Shorts, cut-offs and tank tops have their place... but does it have to be at the table next to mine?
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Some cruise lines actually enforce their dress codes, some do not. Disney doesn't seem to enforce, and RCCL is fairly lax as well.

I do know people who have been turned away from the main dining room for not having a jacket on formal night (wearing pants, etc), but I forget the line, maybe it was Princess. It depends on the cruise line.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a matter of respect to your fellow diners. I'm one of those who thinks that a little more formality and respect would be a good thing in the world at large. There's a reason for it, aside from lubricating the civilization around you.

First of all, you get to hide the nasty rubber flip-flops that seem to have become the standard footwear of most American adults, large and small, young and old.

Second of all, you get to hide the lavishly-inked and oddly-haired legs of men (and some women) who just got in from the sweaty sun.

Third, you get to show that you, too, can dress up -- even if it is only "business casual" -- for dinner and "look nice." Looking nice is not a bad thing. It's a good thing. Pride, and all that. No looking nice, no pride.

Lastly ... why such an effort to be contrary? We are paying a good deal of money for the honor of traveling on the Disney Cruise Lines -- and they tend to charge more than the others do. Nixon and the 60s are over. Time to rebel is done at age 21. Or at least 30. Time for everyone to start acting their ages.

... not that I have any opinion on this ...

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. guys. I do usually like to dress up more for dinner and I would want to show respect to the ship by dressing in better clothing. I just didn't want to show up at dinner wearing a button-down shirt, blazer, and long pants if I were dining with a bunch of people wearing tank tops, shorts, and crocs - then I would feel really out of place and overdressed.
    PGM

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

So often I see folks that look like ... well ... like that guy in the bleachers in the more recent Angels in the Outfield movie (the one with the mouth) ... that seems to typify so many "casual" Americans.

I, too, prefer a tad more formality where possible. But I think I would dress to the level that I would expect, rather than stoop to the level of those around me.

Of course, a cutaway would probably be considered inappropriate on the Kali River Rapids. Unless made of rubber.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am a "casual" american going on a cruise in 14 days. I did not plan to wear shorts to dinner but my DH did. He bought nice docker shorts to wear to dinner. I don't see a problem with these as they are accepted on golf courses everywhere and country clubs. I personally like it better than jeans. After reading the post he will wear jeans and a polo every night then go back to the cabin to change.

I will probably also wear jeans now. I had planned to wear a skirt but now feel I will be over dressed next to him.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

I won't stoop to those around me either. I rather like dressing up a bit for a nice dinner aboard a lovely cruise ship.

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    Well I am a "casual" american going on a cruise in 14 days. I did not plan to wear shorts to dinner but my DH did. He bought nice docker shorts to wear to dinner. I don't see a problem with these as they are accepted on golf courses everywhere and country clubs. I personally like it better than jeans. After reading the post he will wear jeans and a polo every night then go back to the cabin to change.

I will probably also wear jeans now. I had planned to wear a skirt but now feel I will be over dressed next to him.
    Maybe your husband could wear trousers instead of jeans, then you won't feel over dressed in a skirt.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

When we went on our first cruise last summer, DH realized that he took his long pants out of the closet, laid them on the bed to pack, and left them there.

He did have his suit for formal night, and his "formal" shorts (long with cuffs), and he felt horrible about it. He didn't want to wear his suit pants every night, but felt strange in shorts in the dining room.

He decided on the shorts, with a golf shirt, and no one said a word. He did (of course) wear his suite on the formal night, and we all dressed up for Pirate night. I don't think I'd go the jeans route, even though they are longer, they seem less formal to me.

But, Disney isn't going to kick you out, so don't panic too much about it.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another vote for getting dressed up. And by dressed up only mean khakis and a polo for the guys and a skirt or sun dress for the gals. Not asking too much. Even the kids had fun getting dressed up. It made the nights special.
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dressing for dinner

We just got back from a 5 night trip on the Disney Dream. I may upset people on this forum (which is not my intention) but I will tell you anyway. The people sitting around us were all dressed differently and no one seemed out of place. Some were wearing nice khaki shorts and clean tshirts, some were wearing jeans and polos, some were wearing button down shirts and dress pants or skirts. Personally, I think you should dress however you feel comfortable, it's your vacation.
    Last edited by Melanie; 08-15-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We just got back and people wore shorts, jeans, suits and ties. We dressed up every night except the last night which we did all wear shorts. Nice shorts and nice shirts.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneygnome View Post
    We just got back from a 5 night trip on the Disney Dream. I may upset people on this forum (which is not my intention) but I will tell you anyway. The people sitting around us were all dressed differently and no one seemed out of place. Some were wearing nice khaki shorts and clean tshirts, some were wearing jeans and polos, some were wearing button down shirts and dress pants or skirts. Personally, I think you should dress however you feel comfortable, it's your vacation.
    I agree with this 100%. I don't understand why people get so upset over this issue. On our last cruise, which was a 4 day on the Dream, I wore a pair of nice shorts and a collared shirt to dinner each night. I had nice pants with me but in the end I figured that it was my vacation that I paid (no pun intended) a boatload (ok, maybe it was intended) of money for (we sailed concierge) and it was really warm. I wasn't going to wear a tank top or colorful shorts or swim trunks. They were dress shorts. I didn't do it out of a lack of respect, I did it because it was my vacation. BTW, my wife dressed up each night.
    How dare you open a space rangers helmet on an uncharted planet!
    DisneyWorldPics

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: