Quantcast Finally and officially have had it!!!! - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

For those interested, Disney used to have a three-tiered system for ages when WDW opened in 1971 -- child (3-11), junior (12-17), and adult (13 and over). It dropped the junior designation in 1984, when it made children 3-12, and then changed the child ticket only three years later, to 3-9, in 1987.

The child ticket has always been only a few dollars less per day than the adult ticket, ranging anywhere from around $2 to $9 per day. However, that amounted to a much greater percentage difference in the past.

This info was gathered from another "website which shall not be named," which has an incredibly detailed history of WDW tickets. To find it, Google search "WDW ticket history."
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

They have to draw the line somewhere and 10 seems as good as any to me for the reasons previously stated. Further there are of course, exceptions to the rule. Some 10 year olds are taller than some adults. Some adults eat less than some 6 year olds, but can you really expect Disney to charge based on appetite and number of rides you might get on? Should you complete a questionnaire regarding your eating habits, which rides you are likely to ride, etc.and then submit it to a pricing department for a personalized price for each individual?

Obviously, being charged an adult price does not mean your child is an adult legally speaking. They are simply categorizing people into a price matrix for practicality and convenience.
    Many visits as child.
    2005 WL, AK
    2006 POLY, CR
    2007 WL
    2008 POFQ
    2009 CSR
    2010 POFQ

*October 2011 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Why should Disney charge less for tickets for teens? Infants and Toddlers, OK, but the only motivation I can think of for them to offer a big price difference for kids under 18 would be to entice more families to to come visit. I know I would be more likely to plan another trip if kids under 18 were free, for instance. But, all I read about park attendance is how much more crowded the parks have been at all times of the year, and how there are no really slow months anymore. So, it seems that Disney is not having much trouble selling all the park passes they can. You can bet that if attendance was way down, all kinds of discounts would be forthcoming. But the bottom line is, they have no financial or business incentive to offer discounts for kids under 18.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle View Post
    Some 10 year olds are taller than some adults.
    Debate aside, you make a great point. My 10yo DD is 5'2", and my 40yo DW is 5'2.5".
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I am having the same issue but with Sesame Place. If your child is 2 and up they pay the "full price" ticket. Now I understand why they are doing this. You really don't go there unless you have kids under 5 but I am still having a hard time paying 50 some buck for my two year old.
    If you can dream it you can do it!!!

01,02,03,04,05 x3 (plus Disneyland),06,08,10,11,12

Been there done that going back!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Sure we could go to WDW and try to keep the cost down by staying in one of those little rat hole hotel type resorts but we hate them and we don't stay in those type accommodations elsewhere so we aren't about to do it for a week at WDW.
    Hee hee hee....I LOVE those little rat hole hotels aka value resorts!! I can stay in one of those rat holes, with free dining, for 7 days with park tickets included for $1700. (four people) All I need is a place to sleep so that I can get up and go to the parks from open to close. I LOVE IT! I also have stayed at the Contemporary and Saratoga Springs, and in all honestly, I prefer the rat hole atmosphere! Much more fun and Disney themed. Now, as far as going other places, we went to Chicago for a weekend and spent well over $1,000. I find Disney to be very reasonable actually. I guess it can be very much on the high side if you prefer it that way, or it can be very affordable on the other side!
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tazlikesrobots View Post
    Humm... How about airlines! No child ticket, you have to buy the adult fare, so guess in their eyes a 2 year old is an adult.

Then again I've seen plenty of adults that act as 2 year olds, so can see how they arrived at that conclusion
    So true!
    DL 2000 (off site)
    DW 2001 (CSR)
    DW 2008 (POP)
    DW 2009 (CSR)
    Sept 2011 POFQ
    Hoping to get back sooner vs. later. :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvtink View Post
    Hee hee hee....I LOVE those little rat hole hotels aka value resorts!! I can stay in one of those rat holes, with free dining, for 7 days with park tickets included for $1700. (four people) All I need is a place to sleep so that I can get up and go to the parks from open to close. I LOVE IT! I also have stayed at the Contemporary and Saratoga Springs, and in all honestly, I prefer the rat hole atmosphere! Much more fun and Disney themed. Now, as far as going other places, we went to Chicago for a weekend and spent well over $1,000. I find Disney to be very reasonable actually. I guess it can be very much on the high side if you prefer it that way, or it can be very affordable on the other side!
    Amen Sister!!!!!

I am OK with the 10-year old "Adult". I don't think Disney should word it as "Adult". They should put 48" and over. I have tall kids. They were able to ride Splash and Space at 4 years old. I have always bought them seats on planes, as I felt they were safer in their car seat. My 10 year old is thrilled to be getting "adult" meals! My 9 year old is already complaining that her sister is getting the better deal. CAN'T WIN!!!!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    cruises with top notch accommodations and dining for 1/3 or more less
    If you are not particular on your cruise destination, you can go on cruises for FAR LESS than WDW. My parents lived in FL about an hour from the port. They would get calls from travel agents with ridiculous deals. The last cruise they went on was from the Med back to south FL. It was like a 14 day cruise. They got it for $250 a person.

If you want to go to WDW, it is going to cost you, PERIOD.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Why is everyone so against WDW making money? IT IS A BUSINESS.

And if they make money (at least recently) they are willing to reinvest it right back into the parks (HELLO LARGEST EXPANSION IN YEARS)

Plus everyone enjoys having DHS, and DAK right? Well I'm sure ticket increases back in the day at MK and at EPCOT helped pay for those.

I never got complaing about the cost of WDW. YES it costs alot. YES you can find other vacations cheaper. But you can also find other vacations with less value and less fun for waaaay more expensive. You have a choice to go no one is twisting your arm saying GO SEE THE MOUSE NOW!!! If you can't afford it. Don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    Amen Sister!!!!!

I am OK with the 10-year old "Adult". I don't think Disney should word it as "Adult". They should put 48" and over. I have tall kids. They were able to ride Splash and Space at 4 years old. I have always bought them seats on planes, as I felt they were safer in their car seat. My 10 year old is thrilled to be getting "adult" meals! My 9 year old is already complaining that her sister is getting the better deal. CAN'T WIN!!!!
    Julie
    Ok, how are they going to police that? Will one have to submit a Dr's note with their official height?

As I said before it is an argument over semantics. The reasoning behind it does not change if you change the name. Disney had to set an age where the person had to pay full price.

I would guess Disney was able to do much research before arriving at this age and since it hasn't been changed in a very long time, I highly doubt they were off on what age a child can basically ride everything in the park.

One can quibble over the "my child could ride this at "X" age or at 11 he still didn't want to ride "Y." In the end, a majority of children will be able to ride everything and take full advantage of the parks at age 10. So, if they can easily use it all, they have to pay for it all. Nuf' said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I have no problem paying the same price for my 11 year old's ticket as I do for my own. He can ride and enjoy everything I can, why should his ticket be cheaper????
    I also have no problem paying for the tickets.
    Now wait until all your young adults become over 18 and you have to pay extra for them to stay in the same room as you. DS is now 19 and on our last visit we had to pay for a 3rd adult in the room. We still only used the 2 beds and nothing more than we did when he was 17, but that is the way it is.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The price difference between an "adult" park ticket and a child ticket is minimal. I can do what I want as far as food because I don't use the dining plan. We rarely order from the kid's menu just because the choices are so limited.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    I don't understand what all the fuss is about. The price difference between an "adult" park ticket and a child ticket is minimal. I can do what I want as far as food because I don't use the dining plan. We rarely order from the kid's menu just because the choices are so limited.
    The fuss is over meanings of words instead of the intent of the policy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default And Some Adults Eat like Kids

I’m entirely OK with paying the adult price for my family members when they turn 10 – and boy have I don’t it plenty of times but please, please don’t tell me if I spend a few thousand dollars on a WDW vacation and my wife walks into a counter service restaurant and buys a kid’s meal and eats it and goes on with the rest of her day enjoying the park and beating up her Amex card in the gift shops that she’s somehow cheating Mickey Mouse.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand being frustrated...but if you look at it this way... from 3-9 the ticket is what...6 or 7 dollars less than the 10+ ticket. So really it isnt that big of a adjustment from 9 to 10... the hard one is from 2-3 I would guess (I am about to go through that lol, DS is 2)
    I am addicted!
    9-08 Caribbean Beach Resort (Honeymoon)
    1-09 All-Star Sports
    12-09 Pop Century
    5-10 Pop Century
    3-11 All-Star Sports
    7-11 Wilderness Lodge
    3-12 Port Orleans Riverside
    5-12 Pop Century
    12-12 Saratoga Springs
    DVC Member since 2012!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    I also have no problem paying for the tickets.
    Now wait until all your young adults become over 18 and you have to pay extra for them to stay in the same room as you. DS is now 19 and on our last visit we had to pay for a 3rd adult in the room. We still only used the 2 beds and nothing more than we did when he was 17, but that is the way it is.
    Oh I know, I'm not looking forward to those days. I think the extra adult charges at all resorts, not just WDW, is ridiculous.

However, like I said in my initial post, no one is forcing us to go. If ever there comes a time I absolutely won't spend what WDW wants for any service then I'll take it upon myself to just not go!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    I've been reading all the posts and this is exactly what I've been thinking.

The difference between a child's ticket and an adult's ticket is so minimal that I can't beleive I so often hear people trying to pass their kids off for a 9 year old after they've turned 10, or even hear people complain that they now have to pay for a adult ticket. I feel as though if you can't afford a few extra bucks for that ticket, for a 10 year old who can do everything the park has to offer, then maybe you can't afford the vacation at all.

Then there is the food. When my oldest turned 10 that's when we stopped using the dining plan because it just wasn't worth it. Without having the dining plan you can pretty much order your 10 year old whatever they want. My 11 year old still orders off the kids menu most of the time, or he and my youngest share one adult entree if they don't like the offerings on the kids menu. When paying out of pocket you can order anything you want. The only time we have to pay adult prices for him is at buffets and places like Ohana's. I do cringe when the bill comes knowing he didn't eat nearly enough for the amount I am about to pay for him, but that's my choice. No one forces us to eat at Ohana's with him. If we hated it that much we just wouldn't do it.

I just don't get what all the fuss is about either.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I've been reading all the posts and this is exactly what I've been thinking.

The difference between a child's ticket and an adult's ticket is so minimal that I can't beleive I so often hear people trying to pass their kids off for a 9 year old after they've turned 10, or even hear people complain that they now have to pay for a adult ticket. I feel as though if you can't afford a few extra bucks for that ticket, for a 10 year old who can do everything the park has to offer, then maybe you can't afford the vacation at all.

Then there is the food. When my oldest turned 10 that's when we stopped using the dining plan because it just wasn't worth it. Without having the dining plan you can pretty much order your 10 year old whatever they want. My 11 year old still orders off the kids menu most of the time, or he and my youngest share one adult entree if they don't like the offerings on the kids menu. When paying out of pocket you can order anything you want. The only time we have to pay adult prices for him is at buffets and places like Ohana's. I do cringe when the bill comes knowing he didn't eat nearly enough for the amount I am about to pay for him, but that's my choice. No one forces us to eat at Ohana's with him. If we hated it that much we just wouldn't do it.

I just don't get what all the fuss is about either.
    The food issue is where the cost kills you. Our friends 11 year old son ate a hot dog kids meal at Le Cellier...that killed ME!! His parents payed for his adult dining, but he is a picky picky eater, and that's what he wanted. They are a family of 5, 4 are normal eaters, and this was back in the day when the DDP was a better deal.

Just a FYI....in regards to paying by height, I was recently at a Boardwalk type Amusement park, and they charged by various heights different prices because of ride restrictions for smaller kids, and they had a measuring stick cemented in the ground, where the cashier could see and charged appropriately....They had this at every ticket window. I think Dorney Park and Hershey Park does this as well.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDisneyDad View Post
    I can understand being frustrated...but if you look at it this way... from 3-9 the ticket is what...6 or 7 dollars less than the 10+ ticket. So really it isnt that big of a adjustment from 9 to 10... the hard one is from 2-3 I would guess (I am about to go through that lol, DS is 2)
    No kidding! I fully understand the 10-year old thing. They're big enough to do anything an adult can do. But next June my now 2-year old will be 3. She is tiny and eats like a bird. There is absolutely nothing more she'll be able to do then than now. Plus, it's still no problem for her to eat off our plates. Is that annoying? Yes! Is it going to keep us from going? No. At least it's Disney, where the great majority of rides are kid-friendly, not a coaster-heavy park where she could do nothing.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: