Quantcast While we're on the subject of bridal showers...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default While we're on the subject of bridal showers...

The other topic reminded me of something I read in the Dear Abby column a few days ago. In it a bridal shower guest commented on the practice of having guests write out self-addressed envelopes at the end of the party, supposedly to save the bride a little work in sending thank-you cards. I was incredulous. Does this really happen at bridal showers (or other parties)? I get a bit put-out at having to write out a return envelope at the doctor's or dentists office for lab results or appointment reminders, so I can't imagine how I would feel if asked to do it at a shower.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that this has been the case at every bridal or baby shower I've been at in the past 5 years or so. The envelopes have also been used for "door prize" type draws too.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to many showers and never seen this. I think if your given a gift, the least you can do is write out the thank you card and the envelope yourself. At the least, use a program and printer to do the envelopes, not your guests.

Of course, more recently, I've been to showers and had no thank you at all. So, there's that alternative..
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to several bridal/baby showers where they have done this and used it as a door prize drawing also. This seems to be the only time I receive a thank you card. I've been to a baptism and several grad parties in the past few years and thank you cards were not sent out.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to one or two showers that have done this but its something neither my mother nor myself felt comfortable doing.

Then again I was brought up to not even think about touching the gift until the thank you card had been written and mailed.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow--obviously I haven't been to a shower in a quite a while, because I had no idea this was so common-place. I'm all for efficiency, but this is the height of poor taste, IMO. Even with the door prize gimmick to help justify it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Wow--obviously I haven't been to a shower in a quite a while, because I had no idea this was so common-place. I'm all for efficiency, but this is the height of poor taste, IMO. Even with the door prize gimmick to help justify it.
    This is the first time I'm hearing of this and I agree, it's just plain rude! No one is that busy that they can't take the time to write a personal thank you and address the envelope.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Then again I was brought up to not even think about touching the gift until the thank you card had been written and mailed.
    My boys are 16 & 19 and I always tell them not to even think of cashing a holiday check until the TY has been sent.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

well since I'm still waiting for some thank you cards from some wedding gifts given YEARS ago. I guess thank you notes just aren't a priority any longer. I was always under the impression that they were supposed to be sent within 30 days from receiving the gift. I know when I got married I spent the week following my honeymoon doing thank you cards, that were both handwritten and address by myself. I wouldn't imagine having them either printed (the note) or having the guest doing half the work for me. They already did the work of shopping for the gift and wrapping it at least I could do is write out a thank you and address. Just my opinion.
    Coreen

Post Thanks / Like

I've been to many bridal and baby showers where this has happened. I was beginning to think it was standard practice, so I am glad some people have never heard of it. While it is pretty handy for the bride or parent, it does seem a bit like "I'm too busy to thank you properly without your extra assistance." But on the other hand, I am just glad people are still writing letters and notes and using the regular mail.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to many showers over the past few years where this was done. And I agree, I am not in favor but at least you get a thank you. Last shower I went to the bridesmaid bought a journal. Each guest wrote their address in it and a bit of good advice or happy wishes. Bride to be had a wonderful address book and keepsake at the end. Also, kudos to the bride to be who sent out hand written and addressed thank yous within 4 days!
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    I've been to many bridal and baby showers where this has happened. I was beginning to think it was standard practice, so I am glad some people have never heard of it. While it is pretty handy for the bride or parent, it does seem a bit like "I'm too busy to thank you properly without your extra assistance." But on the other hand, I am just glad people are still writing letters and notes and using the regular mail.
    That's kind of my take on it too. Where we live, the people invited to showers are often NOT wedding guests, so the bride would frequently not have the mailing address. My opinion is that it is giving the honoree a bit of help knowing who to send cards to. It would have been very helpful back when I got married!

What I find to be in poor taste are the showers brides or mothers to be organize themselves.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiredfigment View Post
    I have been to many showers over the past few years where this was done. And I agree, I am not in favor but at least you get a thank you.
    But isn't it kind of sad that the only way to ensure a a thank-you card is by helping to make it out to yourself? I suppose people can claim how busy the bride is and all, but still--years ago, after my bridal shower (and wedding and baby shower down the road) I worked full-time and spent many a lunch-break filling out thank-you notes after a quick bite to eat. It takes some time, but it's the right thing to do.
    Last shower I went to the bridesmaid bought a journal. Each guest wrote their address in it and a bit of good advice or happy wishes. Bride to be had a wonderful address book and keepsake at the end.
    I think that is a wonderful gesture and a much better way to get the proper addresses of guests.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I guess if the bride to be has the address to mail the invitation to the shower, she should have the address to mail a thank-you.

I think it is quite sad that proper etiquette has gone by the wayside.

As for the comment on the dental / medical cards, consultants have told us that if we have our patients write out their own appointment card reminders, they cannot say " Well I never made that appointment!" ( By the way, our office does not do this. It is computer generated to look more professional....and less tacky!)
    All Star Sports-Hurricane Jeanne & Old Key West-2004
    All Star Movie, Old Key West, Coronado Spring-2005
    Wilderness Lodge-Club Level-2007
    All-Star Movies-November 2008
    AKL-Jambo House, Club Level - Feb 2011
    Contemporary Resort-May 2014
    Grand Floridian Resort- November 2015

Post Thanks / Like

I can honestly say that I have never heard of such a thing. My bridal shower is this saturday (yay!) and I would never ask a guest to fill out their own thank you cards....I am very traditional in that I look forward to handwriting every thank you and addressing it myself and actually thinking about the person I am writing to. I must say that I am somewhat overwhelmed (in a good way) that these showers actually take place...I mean, it's so amazing to think that someone planned this for me and all the women I love will be there!! Gifts are just an unnecessary bonus! I am sooo excited for my shower that I can't comprehend that women would actually be this lazy...?
    Polynesian- 1985
    Polynesian- 1987
    Polynesian- 1989
    Polynesian- 1990
    Polynesian- 1993
    Polynesian- 1996
    Polynesian- 2001
    Polynesian- 2006
    Yacht Club- 2007 (surprise!)
    Beach Club- 2008 (august...yeah!)
    Beach Club Villas- 2009 (the whole family)
    Polynesian- 2011 (september- HONEYMOON!)

Post Thanks / Like

Next thing you know, they'll have everyone text message the bride so she can just use her cell phone to text back her thank yous.

Congratulations and best wishes, AlliMo.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The last few showers I've attended, both baby and wedding, I've been given an envelope to fill out. It doesn't quite mean the same when you get mail in your own hand writting.

I really like the address book idea too. Much more personal - then sending yourself mail.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Next thing you know, they'll have everyone text message the bride so she can just use her cell phone to text back her thank yous.

Congratulations and best wishes, AlliMo.
    haha that's funny! Thanks SBETigg!
    Polynesian- 1985
    Polynesian- 1987
    Polynesian- 1989
    Polynesian- 1990
    Polynesian- 1993
    Polynesian- 1996
    Polynesian- 2001
    Polynesian- 2006
    Yacht Club- 2007 (surprise!)
    Beach Club- 2008 (august...yeah!)
    Beach Club Villas- 2009 (the whole family)
    Polynesian- 2011 (september- HONEYMOON!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Where we live, the people invited to showers are often NOT wedding guests, so the bride would frequently not have the mailing address.
    Now that's odd in my area. That would rub me the wrong way. It seems that by being invited to the shower and not the wedding that they're not important enough to be invited to the wedding, but are expected to give a gift anyway. In our neck of the woods, if you're invited to the shower, then you are invited to the wedding.

But being asked to address Thank You envelopes to yourself is downright tacky. Like she can't be bothered. What's next, will she stamp her name so she doesn't need to actually sign the card? If the bride needs addresses, either the bridesmaids (or mother of the bride or whomever sent the invitations) should give her the addresses or she can ask for them. Then she can actually pull herself away from texting or Facebook or Twitter for a couple of hours and sign the cards and address the envelopes herself. Sheesh.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post

But being asked to address Thank You envelopes to yourself is downright tacky. Like she can't be bothered. What's next, will she stamp her name so she doesn't need to actually sign the card?
    In all fairness, whoever is hosting the shower is probably who decides to have the guests do the address thing. Maybe the bride wouldn't even mind writing out her own envelopes.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: