Quantcast Skyway

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skyway

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skyway

With the removal of the Skyway from Fantasyland, I was wondering why the Skyway closed in the first place. It seemed to be a good idea, but I never got to experience it because it was way before my time. Did they just close it down for a refurbishment and never open it again, or was there something bigger behind its closing?
    2002 ASMo
    2004 Pop
    2005 Pop
    2006 Pop
    2008 Pop
    2010 Pop
    2011 Pop
    2013 Off Property

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on who you ask and what they believe to be true.

Internet rumor leads you to believe that they closed it almost a year after a custodial worker was killed while cleaning a platform when the ride was started up.

The explanation that seems more reasonable and believable is that the ride cost alot to operate, and had very low guest capacities. Not to mention all of the people that would throw stuff off from the cabs (or do worse than that to those below), and it just made sense that it's time had come...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I had also read somewhere it violated laws requiring it being accessible for the handicapped?
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Disney was fined for OSHA violations related to the Skyway death ... basically, the guy got pushed off the loading platform by a gondola, he hung on for a minute before falling from full height into the park.

But all the rest of it is reasonable, too ... I wouldn't want to be underneath when somebody's wooden sandal dropped on my head from on high.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btharvey View Post
    But all the rest of it is reasonable, too ... I wouldn't want to be underneath when somebody's wooden sandal dropped on my head from on high.
    I would take 10 wooden sandles to the dome rather than some of the alternatives (ignorant people spitting, throwing gum or food, etc).
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Skyway

I was lucky (and old enough) to have been able to enjoy the sights and sounds of riding OVER the crowds and roof tops of the Magic Kingdom aboard the SKYWAY from Fantasy Land to Tomorrowland or visa versa.
    It was a neat experience at night with all the twinkling lights and music playing (Peter Pans Flight and the Speedway) as you quietly moved overhead.
    I to am sorry that it is a ride from the past!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up in Florida not to far from my favorite place I got to ride the Skyway many, many times and loved that ride. Even today I will tell my kids stories about this ride, such as the ride stopping over Dumbo when the fireworks were going off and how pretty it was to ride at night. I think Walt would have loved this ride
    Sean
    So many Happy Trips!

6/30/12 through 7/10/12 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/11 through 1/4/12 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/10 thorugh 1/4/11 Fort Wilderness!

7/1/10 through 7/14/10 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/09 through 1/4/10 Fort Wilderness!

7/1/10 through 7/11/10 Fort Wilderness!

Post Thanks / Like

Although I never rode it at night, the day time experience was very nice too. I liked the feeling of riding the car up to the turning pylon and then back down again to either Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. I think the WDW ride was the only one that did that...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

i remember that this ride was a favorite, loved it at night.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I was reading about the guy who fell. I found out that the ride had been scheduled to close prior to the incident. The guy fell on February 14th, 1999, and they permanently closed the ride on November 10th, 1999. So it looks like they were planning to already before he died, but I found no reason online. Thanks for all the help!
    2002 ASMo
    2004 Pop
    2005 Pop
    2006 Pop
    2008 Pop
    2010 Pop
    2011 Pop
    2013 Off Property

Post Thanks / Like

I loved it. Rode it on my honeymoon in 1996. I wish I had taken pictures! It took less time to walk from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland than it did to stand in line and ride from one to the other, so I guess it just wasn't useful as transportation (kind of like the boat taxis in Animal Kingdom...) but it was a great experience. They used to have something similar at Six Flags in Georgia. They might still, but I haven't been there since high school.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

I was so sad on my first trip after the Skyway closed. Like TTA, it was a great way to relax and get off your feet while still being on a ride. Plus it had the added bonus of getting you across the park.

Post Thanks / Like

We got to ride it in October 1999 and thought it was so relaxing and the view was great! Was sad to see it go.

Post Thanks / Like

It was indeed a great ride, but I believe that in addition to all the problems already enumerated, it couldn't operate during any kind of inclement weather.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

i always liked the ride too, but it isn't just WDW that closed them down. they use to ahve skyways in almost every park i remember visiting as a child, but now they are no where to be seen. I am sure it had more to do w/ the fact it's not a people mover, lacked thrills, and of course things that people did once up high and out of site.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I think the overwhelming majority of us, those who frequent the boards, would always oppose the closing and removal of any WDW attraction on principle.

I have fond memories of the skyway at both WDW and DL, but I’m OK with them decommissioning it. In addition to what has been said I didn’t like being able to see the backs of the show buildings, air conditioning units, bare rooftops, etc. From ground level Disney themes decorates and controls the scenery; on the Skyway all bets were off.

Add to this most families had that one person that was afraid of heights and wouldn’t ride it. If you won’t go on space Mountain you can meet me at the exit. If you won’t go on the Skyway I’ll either have to round-trip or you’ll have to meet me at the other station, in which case, you’ll probably be there before I will.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ransam View Post
    i always liked the ride too, but it isn't just WDW that closed them down. they use to ahve skyways in almost every park i remember visiting as a child, but now they are no where to be seen. I am sure it had more to do w/ the fact it's not a people mover, lacked thrills, and of course things that people did once up high and out of site.
    There's still one at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield! It's no Disney Park but we have a skyway.

Riding the Skyway was the reason we brought umbrella strollers when my boys were little. It was the only stroller you could take with you on the Skyway. Just another memory tidbit...
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, it was a combination of things. OSHA standards, ride had to be stopped to load wheelchairs, it had to be stop operating during windy conditions, much less rain/lightning. low capacity, and too many people throwing dropping spitting, etc. It got to be more trouble than it was worth. You could walk from one station to the other, and back in less time than waiting in line to board. It was fun, and you could see behind the scenes, show buildings etc., which I though was kinda neat. I don't know if that had anything to do with the decision to close it or not. The one at Disneyland had developed some cracks in one of the towers, which led to it being shut down and removed.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney-4-Me View Post
    There's still one at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield! It's no Disney Park but we have a skyway.
    We still have one too at the Six Flags in NJ. We ride it everytime we go but it is a slow moving line.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

There was one in Kings Island when I went there years ago before we found Disney. Never again. Always Disney!
    2002 ASMo
    2004 Pop
    2005 Pop
    2006 Pop
    2008 Pop
    2010 Pop
    2011 Pop
    2013 Off Property

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: