Quantcast jobs and stress

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jobs and stress

Post Thanks / Like

Default jobs and stress

Hi.

I think my husband has one of the most stressful jobs I know. He is an attorney and on a scale of 1 - 10, he has been an average of a 9, maybe a 10 for today. I have been an inpatient, psychiatric social worker, a 5 and a Sales and Marketing Director, a 7 or 8. Also a mom, a 7 or 8.

So, on a scale of 1 - 10, what is your job and what is the stress level of that job?

When I have been so stressed I have been grateful for my love of Disney and the "escapeism" it provides.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now, I have the most perfect, wonderful job ever as a school secretary. Too bad it's temporary. On your scale, it might be a 2. I think my job as mom is a 5 or 6.

I'm so thankful because last year at this time, I was in a full-time job that was a 9+. So completely miserable and in awe that such workplace environments existed. I lasted until July, when I finally quit. No job is worth that in my book. But I am thankful I experienced it, so I now know when I've got it good.

Post Thanks / Like

I've long since figured out it's not worth stressing out over your job. I'm at maybe a 1 or 2... The rest of my co-workers are running around in the 7 or 8 range, but that's not for me to worry about, hence the 1 or 2 rating...

As stated before, I'm just trading time for money, hakuna matata

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I've long since figured out it's not worth stressing out over your job. I'm at maybe a 1 or 2... The rest of my co-workers are running around in the 7 or 8 range, but that's not for me to worry about, hence the 1 or 2 rating...
    Ditto, most of the folks in my field probably run in the 7+ category, I'm pretty low. Life's too short to spend doing a job that causes constant stress or that you need vacations to get away from. Not everyone can have a job they'd otherwise do for free, but it should at least be something they find interesting, and can look forward to doing most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Ditto, most of the folks in my field probably run in the 7+ category, I'm pretty low. Life's too short to spend doing a job that causes constant stress or that you need vacations to get away from. Not everyone can have a job they'd otherwise do for free, but it should at least be something they find interesting, and can look forward to doing most of the time.
    Totally agree with the statement about life being too short to do a job that stresses you. Now a days, jobs seem to be adding more and more stress though. I've been lucky and haven't really had that many jobs that were all that stressful. I worked in a restaurant for a while and it was definitely an 8-9 job on the weekend and busy nights though. I ended up with a nervous twitch type thing from it for a while. Thankfully my job now, while racing the clock and adrenaline, isn't stressful. The physical activity helps to burn any of the stress anyways. (I'm an airport ground worker, ticket agent, & gate agent)
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

i work for local government in Rent arrears collection and if i let the job get to me i'd be a 10 every day and dead in about a year. having a sense of humour really helps.

Its only a job afterall.
    Lifes a witch and then you fly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Same here. I work in the media, so I can be sitting around doing nothing for a couple of hours, and suddenly have someone screaming that you have 5 minutes to get something on the air. I also learned a long time ago how to stay calm and relax. I would not have made it 20 years in this business if I didn't learn how to manage the stress.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a biology graduate student. On days experiments are going well I'd put the stress at a 1. On days when things are going drastically wrong it goes way up there.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in the legal field and have learned over the years that no job is worth stressing so much over. I've been with my company for 7 years now. The last place I worked I was there for 3 years and it was the most terrible, awful 3 years of my life. When I left there, I decided that I would never work in an environment like that again. I'm at about a 4 now, but many of my co-workers are much higher than that.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

I work for local government. I commission and monitor services for people who are homeless or who need support we have just been handed our 6th budget cut in 7 years and we have to pass that on to the people who provide the services for us who (mostly) do a great job. Thats pretty stressful at the moment but I still love my job even though there are days I want to kill my managers - I just keep thinking all this stress is worth it because the money I earn lets me go to disney world and I know there are lots of people out there who have really been helped by the services we commission
    Dragongirlx (AkA Ruth)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

2004 - offsite
    2006 - Dolphin
    2007- WL
    2008 - Poly
    2009 - WL
    2010 - GF
    2012 - WL
    2013 - WL
    2014 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I work for a small ad agency and I take my job and career very seriously. While I try not to stress out too much, there's a certain level of it that I just can't avoid.

I'd probably put my level around 6 or 7.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an elementary school teacher. I've been teaching for over 15 years. My stress level can vary from day to day, minute to minute, and year to year depending on the type of students I have. Some years the students are well-behaved so the stress level is very low - 1-3 most of the time. This year my stress level stayed pretty high - 6-9 because I had a class full of students who were very difficult to manage. I went home exhausted EVERY day just from trying to keep them under control. Thankfully school is now out for the summer so I have time to relax and pray for a low stress class next year!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

As a stay at home mom to two special needs boys, mine is about a steady 8 when my husband is home. When he's deployed or in the field training, it's about a 15.

Luckily, the next few years should be easier than the past few years.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I work for a major corporation. Last year I was a supervisor and the majority of my units work was being "offshored" so stress was at a 10+.

This year (still with the corporation) I am a responsible for monitoring the offshored work who works from home and I am trying to build a career as a writer.

The stress level is usually only a 4 or so except on the days when I worry about being the out of sight, out of mind employee at home!
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an ICU nurse in a small community hospital. We don't have any specialty ICU's meaning we handle them all from Respiratory to Cardiac to Neuro. So depending on the weather and time of the year, my stress level can go from 3-10. In the summer our census can drop to almost nothing and back to full in the same day, thus the bald spots on my head. We also handle the overdoses, suicide attempts and alcoholics, and many times they can be worse than our other patients. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job (most days)...
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a resident physician in radiology --- the stress is variable. It hovers around 4 to 5. It can be 8 or 9 on Mondays when there are tons of studies from over the weekend. Overnight call is also stressful. This Tuesday will likely be horrendous (from the three-day weekend).

I do love my job.
    --- Brittany

Disneyland annual pass since 1994, but I've never been to Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

911 dispatcher. Stress can be anywhere from
    1-10 and back and forth again all shift long. People don't call the police because they are in a good mood. We deal with a range of emotions and expected to remain calm and helpful. We also always have to think of officer safety issues so everyone goes home safe at the end of the day. Constant multi tasking is expected. I've a training officer for 6 years so I have an ever greater appreciation for how hard it is to do our job well. Chronic anxiety and stress are just "normal" to me now.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I love my job! I am a microbiologist. I teach micro labs at the college level. Each semester is a new challenge. The high point is I can just tell myself I only have x amount of weeks left with these students and then I get to start all over. On average my stress is low 2 or 3.
    Next Visit: Fall 2013

Now approaching the Carousel of Progress

We have 999 happy haunts here, but there's room for a thousand. Any volunteers?? If you should decide to join us, final arrangements, may be made at the end of the tour.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I do payroll and human resources for about 700 employees, with no help, I,m usually at 9 or 10. We have a lot of hr issue. The payroll is the easy part. And if anything is wrong of course it is all my fault.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the day with my job. My job carries a lot of emotion, as I work in adoption. Working with the birthparents who are placing their newborn can be a very heart wrenching process to witness, however, it can also be very powerful to see families come together. I've been known to shed a few tears on occasion, appropriately.
    There are some high stress days too, when things aren't coming together. So all in all I give my job stress a 5. I leave at 3pm most days...and that is a good thing!
    My mom job can vary...today I give it a 8 getting too completely over-tired and sick of school girls out of bed to make the bus!!!
    Love my girls...looking forward to the summer freedom!! Enough said!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: