Quantcast Most 'out-of-place' place @ WDW?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Most 'out-of-place' place @ WDW?

I think everyone has a resort/part of a park/area that they think seems out of place in Walt Disney World.
    Mine would have to be the Hester and Chester's carnival thing at AK. I think Disney is way above cheesy carnival games and badly themed rides and coasters.
    What about you?
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is Tomorrowland Speedway in Tomorrowland. Seems weird to have a race track in the land that's about the future.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say the large dinosaur over in DHS...I think it's a ice cream shop or something?

I remember in my trip in January, my friend and I were walking by it and I was just utterly confused about why it was there. Unless, of course, it's some famous piece of Hollywood history that escapes me. That's always a possibility.

And Camp Mickey-Minnie over in AK...that entire area just really confuses me. There's gotta be a better name of a place for character meet and greets!
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

Post Thanks / Like

Dino-land is definitely mine. That whole carnival theme is horrible! Having said that I have wondered about that strange dino ice cream shop at DHS many times. too funny!!
    July 2012 Western Caribbean Cruise on Fantasy!
    2011 Offsite
    2009 Offsite
    2007 POFQ
    2000 Poly
    1996 Offsite
    1992 CBR
    Many childhood trips Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Chester & Hester actually have a back story, which I've related before. I'm not certain about this, but isn't the dino ice cream shop in DHS a replica from LA?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Rose View Post
    I'd have to say the large dinosaur over in DHS...I think it's a ice cream stop or something?

I remember in my trip in January, my friend and I were walking by it and I was just utterly confused about why it was there. Unless, of course, it's some famous piece of Hollywood history that escapes me. That's always a possibility.
    That's exactly what it is. It's Gertie from a 1914 Winsor McCay cartoon that is considered to be the first with an appealing personality and is listed as #6 on the most important cartoons of all time. All previous cartoons were considered to be trick films. As such, it is an important part of Hollywood history and definitely belongs in DHS. There is a plaque either on or near Gertie and you can read more in Wikipedia.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I think I remember hearing that 'Gertie the Dinosaur' was the first animated character ever. Still, very obscure, not well known, and I think to 99% of guests, very confusing as to why it's there! :P
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say the large dinosaur over in DHS...I think it's a ice cream stop or something?

I'm thinking that maybe this is a nod to the Le Brea Tar Pits??
    "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out you can't explain it"

Jul 84: TravelLodge (Kissimee)
    Sep 02: All-Star Sports
    Mar 06: Coronado Springs
    Sep 11: Wilderness Lodge
    Apr 15: Wilderness Lodge
    Next Trip - Sep 20: Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    Mine would have to be the Hester and Chester's carnival thing at AK. I think Disney is way above cheesy carnival games and badly themed rides and coasters.
    Here's the best write up I could find on the backstory in three minutes.
    So as the story goes, there are three very different groups of people whose presence can be found in DinoLand, which accounts for some of the confusion: The scientists, their interns, and the locals.

DinoLand (official name: Diggs County) was little more than a stretch of two-lane highway along Florida’s Route 498 (named for the date of Animal Kingdom’s grand opening, April, 1998). The whole area consisted of farmland, an old fishing lodge, and a run-down gas station owned and operated by two locals named–you guessed it–Chester and Hester.

Well back in 1947 (also the year Disney released “Fun and Fancy Free”), a few amateur fossil-hunters found some dinosaur bones in the area. This produced much scientific interest in Diggs County, and soon archeologists and researchers were flocking to the dig site. The findings were so substantial, that The Dino Institute was formed. The Institute bought out all of the surrounding land (except Chester and Hester’s, they wouldn’t sell), and set up headquarters in the old fishing lodge.

Over time, the Institute gained notoriety and funding, and added on to the lodge, albeit somewhat haphazardly. Chester and Hester, wanting in on the money being made, turned their service station into a souvenir store, erecting signs along the highway to trap the tourists heading to the Institute.

As the Dino Institute grew, it became clear that the dilapidated lodge just wasn’t feasible as a base anymore. They built a brand new building, much more modern and able to equip the machinery needed for their research. This paid off, and soon the Institute was able to announce it’s crowning discovery: Time travel. To help pay for it’s expenses, they started offering time travelling tours (you can even take this tour yourself, in the ride “Dinosaur.” Don’t worry. What could possibly go wrong?)

The old fishing lodge didn’t go to waste, either. It was converted into a cafeteria and lounge for the interns and grad students assisting at the Institute. These young interns are the pranksters responsible for adding “osaurus” at the end of all of the area’s signs (including the lodge itself, called the “Restaurantosaurus,” a counter service dining option).

With the ever-growing influx of tourists, Chester and Hester did not want to be outdone. They set up a carnival and midway area in their remaining land, across the road from the gas station. “Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama” is advertised for miles down the highway, reminiscent of the hokey roadside tourist attractions of the 1950s. It features a couple of corny-yet-highly-entertaining rides, including Primeval Whirl, Chester and Hester’s own mocking version of the Dino Institute’s time tours.
    However, I agree, it's the most out of place location in WDW IMHO. I think the backstory was created around the location, not the other way around. AK has always been the red headed step child, I can't imagine this is any different.

I imagine the conversation going something like this.

Suit A: Why are people leaving our newest theme park before noon! It costs a lot of money to feed those animals even when people aren't there you know! They aren't spending money if they aren't in the park!
    Suit B: According to exit surveys, people are done with everything a couple hours after they arrive. You're the one who cut out Beastly Kingdom, which would have been a whole new land, instead it's a character meet and greet.
    Suit A: That's not it! Stop with the lousy excuses. You better fix this immediately! I want my bonus this year!
    Suit B: OK sir, we'll see what we can come up with.
    Suit B scurries off to find an answer and read in the paper that the local carnival went belly up and hatches a plan. He visits the local university to get some cheap interns, feeds them McDonalds for a week and comes back with an idea a few days later.
    Suit A: Hey that's a great idea! The rides only cost how much? Legal won't go for the bumper car ride, too many injuries and we can't have that. Everything else sounds great, and telling people it's supposed to look cheesy on purpose is GENUIS I tell you, glad I thought of it! Stick with me kid!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I think the backstory was created around the location, not the other way around.
    I agree. When I am walking around Animal Kingdom, I frequently get the feeling of rushed attractions and a badly planned layout. I hope someday I can feel comfortable in that park, and the imagineers can fix the messier things that are evident. A closing of Dinorama and opening of Beastly Kingdom would be a great start
    AKA Courtney

Most Recent Trips:

Post Thanks / Like

i think chester and hester is more out of place because it costs money to be hokey. i think it would be super funny (with the backstory) if that stuff was free, or maybe was like a quarter. even if they didnt give out prizes or whatever.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with the Dino Land area of AK. I always have thought that part of the park was not to Disney standards.
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with Hester and Chester's carnival at AK also!!!! What were they thinking!!! I deal with it because my daughter still loves it there!!

Kim

1984 MAY- OFF PROPERTY Senior Class Trip!!
    1985-86 May- OFF PROPERTY
    2005 MARCH- OFF PROPERTY
    2007 FEBRUARY - POP
    2008 AUG.- POP
    2009 MARCH - POR
    2009 AUG.-POLY
    2010 AUG. - POP
    2011 AUG. - POP
    2012 APRIL - All STAR MOVIES
    2013 DEC.-POP
    2014 AUG.-AOA
    2015 APRIL- CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I think Soarin at the Land Pavillion is the most out of place attraction in WDW and Epcot in general since it's located in Future World and is based on hang gliding which has nothing to do with the future. The theme of flying over California has nothing to do with the other attractions in the Pavillion at all. Not to mention the bad show of not hiding the building from the views from World Showcase!
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I think Soarin at the Land Pavillion is the most out of place attraction in WDW and Epcot in general since it's located in Future World and is based on hang gliding which has nothing to do with the future. The theme of flying over California has nothing to do with the other attractions in the Pavillion at all. Not to mention the bad show of not hiding the building from the views from World Showcase!
    I think the premise of environmental responsibility that the Land represents kind of helps fit the idea of Soarin' in, but you're right about not hiding the building.

And I kind of like Chester & Hester's. Especially after eating at Restaurantosaurus and reading all the notes that the students have left on the walls.

As for me, the most out of place thing has to be the Swan and the Dolphin. So hideous and distracting.

And I suppose I have to throw a vote in for Pizza Planet being across the park from Pixar Place.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olivegirl View Post
    I have to agree with Hester and Chester's carnival at AK also!!!! What were they thinking!!! I deal with it because my daughter still loves it there!!
    Sort of like the philosophy..."Nobody goes there anymore...It's too crowded." As with the Speedway ride at MK, it's there because it has an audience....The back story connects it to the park...Better back story than other apparent disconnects in other parks...

I happen to enjoy the whole cluster...we spent more time there when Donald's Breakfastasaurus was still there, but whole family (except DW) loves the rides....

As for the speedway, it's position in Tomorrowland is appropriate...for 36 years, I have watched all those preteens and teens, and said to myself, "O My God, those are our future leaders!" Not too many years until the person with the speaking role in HOP will be a graduate of the Speedway.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Swan and Dolphin... ruins my pictures of the Boardwalk seeing those huge things peeking up behind it. Not a big fan and they seem so out of place.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"
    Upcoming trips
    March 2013 for Garden Festival
    October 2013 Food and Wine!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chester Hester Dino Land

Completely agree we walk right through this to get to dinosaur. I wish we didn't have to. Feels like we are Six Flags going through this part of the park. I can only hope this is a one time thing and they don't repeat it elswhere

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Here's the best write up I could find on the backstory in three minutes.
    So as the story goes, there are three very different groups of people whose presence can be found in DinoLand, which accounts for some of the confusion: The scientists, their interns, and the locals.

DinoLand (official name: Diggs County) was little more than a stretch of two-lane highway along Florida’s Route 498 (named for the date of Animal Kingdom’s grand opening, April, 1998). The whole area consisted of farmland, an old fishing lodge, and a run-down gas station owned and operated by two locals named–you guessed it–Chester and Hester.

Well back in 1947 (also the year Disney released “Fun and Fancy Free”), a few amateur fossil-hunters found some dinosaur bones in the area. This produced much scientific interest in Diggs County, and soon archeologists and researchers were flocking to the dig site. The findings were so substantial, that The Dino Institute was formed. The Institute bought out all of the surrounding land (except Chester and Hester’s, they wouldn’t sell), and set up headquarters in the old fishing lodge.

Over time, the Institute gained notoriety and funding, and added on to the lodge, albeit somewhat haphazardly. Chester and Hester, wanting in on the money being made, turned their service station into a souvenir store, erecting signs along the highway to trap the tourists heading to the Institute.

As the Dino Institute grew, it became clear that the dilapidated lodge just wasn’t feasible as a base anymore. They built a brand new building, much more modern and able to equip the machinery needed for their research. This paid off, and soon the Institute was able to announce it’s crowning discovery: Time travel. To help pay for it’s expenses, they started offering time travelling tours (you can even take this tour yourself, in the ride “Dinosaur.” Don’t worry. What could possibly go wrong?)

The old fishing lodge didn’t go to waste, either. It was converted into a cafeteria and lounge for the interns and grad students assisting at the Institute. These young interns are the pranksters responsible for adding “osaurus” at the end of all of the area’s signs (including the lodge itself, called the “Restaurantosaurus,” a counter service dining option).

With the ever-growing influx of tourists, Chester and Hester did not want to be outdone. They set up a carnival and midway area in their remaining land, across the road from the gas station. “Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama” is advertised for miles down the highway, reminiscent of the hokey roadside tourist attractions of the 1950s. It features a couple of corny-yet-highly-entertaining rides, including Primeval Whirl, Chester and Hester’s own mocking version of the Dino Institute’s time tours.
    However, I agree, it's the most out of place location in WDW IMHO. I think the backstory was created around the location, not the other way around. AK has always been the red headed step child, I can't imagine this is any different.

I imagine the conversation going something like this.

Suit A: Why are people leaving our newest theme park before noon! It costs a lot of money to feed those animals even when people aren't there you know! They aren't spending money if they aren't in the park!
    Suit B: According to exit surveys, people are done with everything a couple hours after they arrive. You're the one who cut out Beastly Kingdom, which would have been a whole new land, instead it's a character meet and greet.
    Suit A: That's not it! Stop with the lousy excuses. You better fix this immediately! I want my bonus this year!
    Suit B: OK sir, we'll see what we can come up with.
    Suit B scurries off to find an answer and read in the paper that the local carnival went belly up and hatches a plan. He visits the local university to get some cheap interns, feeds them McDonalds for a week and comes back with an idea a few days later.
    Suit A: Hey that's a great idea! The rides only cost how much? Legal won't go for the bumper car ride, too many injuries and we can't have that. Everything else sounds great, and telling people it's supposed to look cheesy on purpose is GENUIS I tell you, glad I thought of it! Stick with me kid!
    very informative dizneyrox !!! and yes you do rox !!! the last part was HIGHLY AMUZING..... KEEP IT UP, I LOVE IT

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why, but I've always felt that the area in World Showcase that is supposed to be Africa (?) is just really weird, and seems completely out of place in the rest of World Showcase. I mean, it' not even a whole pavilion, but every time I walk through there, I can't help but wonder why it's there. Couldn't they have just expanded the other pavilions until the transition was more seamless?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: