Quantcast Drive-In Theaters

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drive-In Theaters

I was just reading a Sci-Fi Diner thread in Dining, and it got me thinking about Drive-In theaters.

Wondering if anyone knows how many drive-ins are still in operation across the US, and even in Canada? Do you still have one near you that you go to?

What are your drive-in memories as a kid? I think we only went to one or two drive-in movies, and I distinctly remember one being Jaws.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I think we only went to one or two drive-in movies, and I distinctly remember one being Jaws.
    I SAW JAWS AT THE DRIVE IN TOO!!!! (and wouldn't use the toilet for a week afterwards, but that's another story!). Growing up we would often go to the Drive In, because it was pay by the car, and my parents had 4 children. It was very cost efficient.

Once upon a time, there were quite a few in our area, now there might be 3 in the whole Greater Toronto Area (serving some 4 Million potential customers) There is a Drive In just north of us here, that I can not convince my husband to go to. He has no desire to sit in a muggy car for 2 hours, and less desire to sit on lawn chairs surrounded by bugs in front of said muggy car for 2 hours. One day perhaps, but he's pretty stubborn!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

One left in northern MI, near Traverse City. Keep meaning to try it :-)
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

I remember going to a few drive-in movies as a kid, with my older brother doing the driving and chaperoning his little sisters. After watching one scary movie, during a quiet moment on the way home he grabbed my leg and yelled "boo!" I shrieked and jumped so in my seat that my head hit the top of the car, lol!

There is a drive-in theater less than 10 miles from us here in Houston, but we have never been there. Last drive-in we went to was in Blue Ridge, GA, called the Swan Theater. We watched "Shark Tale"--well, that is, until Dave (DH) and fell asleep. Son Jake was the only one who stayed awake and saw the whole movie.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    There is a Drive In just north of us here, that I can not convince my husband to go to. He has no desire to sit in a muggy car for 2 hours, and less desire to sit on lawn chairs surrounded by bugs in front of said muggy car for 2 hours. One day perhaps, but he's pretty stubborn!
    Uh Jen, remember he frequents ICOT?

Post Thanks / Like

We have one a few miles from us. Same as I remember except no more speaker on the window just through the radio. People grilling food, kids in pj's under blankets if it's cool, families playing catch or Frisbee in the open area by the screen while waiting for the movies to start. Still can't make it through all 3 movies but can usually make it through 2. We try to go a few times a year since it's still cheaper then going to a theater, if you bring your own food, treats, and drinks and you can watch up to 3 movies.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

We have one also. New release movies at a good price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    We have one a few miles from us. Same as I remember except no more speaker on the window just through the radio. People grilling food, kids in pj's under blankets if it's cool, families playing catch or Frisbee in the open area by the screen while waiting for the movies to start. Still can't make it through all 3 movies but can usually make it through 2. We try to go a few times a year since it's still cheaper then going to a theater, if you bring your own food, treats, and drinks and you can watch up to 3 movies.
    Is that the Vali-Hi Drive-in, by chance? I remember going to see a couple of movies there years ago when camping with friends at Willow River campground in Wisconsin. I wasn't sure if it was still open.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

It's the Cherry Bowl by Traverse City! Really fun, double features and lots of fun for the kids!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been to one. There is one in South Jersey called the Delsea Drive in. We've been meaning to go for about two years. They play double features every weekend during the warmer months. I signed up for their email too, but we just haven't gotten around to going. Maybe by the end of this summer!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in college, we had one minutes away, in Mansfield CT. Saw The Dark Night for the midnight showing when it came out. Also brought our own Chinese food :-) It was GREAT to have it so close in college... Going to have to look for one closer to where we live now!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

We took our kids to one this past summer. It's about 1.5 hours away in Greenwood, SC, but it was worth the drive. We had so much fun! They have great food, and the price is awesome for the movies - $20 for a car full for 3 movies! Since we were so far away we left after the 1st one, but I still felt like we got our money's worth. We'll probably go back this summer.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Default There is one near Mentor, Ohio

What makes this place different IS if you bring in food, even a candy bar, you are charged an additional $ 5.00,,, but I don't know if they have food patrol police, and how do they know if you have any food ??
    ASmu SEPT. 1996
    ASmu SEPT. 2003
    POP DEC. 2004
    ASmu SEPT. 2005
    ASmu SEPT. 2006 40TH WEDDING ANNIV.
    MNSSHP SEPT. 22
    ILLUMINATIONS CRUISE SEPT. 23
    SEPT. 25 CALIFORNIA GRILL
    ANNIVERSARY DINNER
    ASmu FEB. 2011 RETIREMENT CELEBRATION
    ASmu April 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I can't thik of a drivein anywhere in my area at this point. I can still point to malls and even an indoor theater that sit on what used to be drive-in property.

When I was a kid, we'd go to the drivein several times a year. My dad would put a couple of wooden milk crates (anyone remember those) on the floor of the car in the back seat and pile blankets and pillows on top. This allowed my brother and me to go to sleep on a sort-of bed.

Later, when my husband and I were dating, we'd go to the drive-in frequently. We were poor and it was cheap! There was one drive-in that would frequently show scary movies - and, yes, we saw Jaws at the drive-in! I think the other novie that night was The Exorcist!!

Even after our daughter was born, there were still drive-ins around and I remember going with her a few times. As she got older, there were fewer and fewer and no more opportunities to go.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Food permit needed

New Outside Food Policy for The Midway Twin &
    Mayfield Road Drive-ins

"OUTSIDE FOOD AND BEVERAGES RESTRICTED"

Bringing outside food and beverages onto the property requires the purchase of a food permit upon admission. Permit is $5.00 per car, per visit, and is not transferable.

Exceptions:
    (1) Bottled water.
    (2) Food for those required to follow a medical diet.

Without the concession sales the drive-in could not exist. Income generated by concession sales operate and maintain the drive-in. We appreciate your understanding and hope to keep this drive-in open for many years to come.

Please be aware that our concession areas stand ready to offer great food, treats, snacks, and beverages.

Thank You !

Site Map | Home Page | Contact Us
    ASmu SEPT. 1996
    ASmu SEPT. 2003
    POP DEC. 2004
    ASmu SEPT. 2005
    MNSSHP SEPT. 22
    ANNIVERSARY DINNER
    ASmu April 2014

Post Thanks / Like

The largest drive-in theater in patron capacity was the All-Weather Drive-In of Copiague, New York. All-Weather had parking space for 2,500 cars, an indoor 1,200 seat viewing area, kid's playground, a full service restaurant and a shuttle train that took customers from their cars and around the 28-acre theater lot.

The two smallest drive-ins were the Harmony Drive-In of Harmony Pennsylvania and the Highway Drive-In of Bamberg, South Carolina. Both drive-ins could hold no more than 50 cars.
    ASmu SEPT. 1996
    ASmu SEPT. 2003
    POP DEC. 2004
    ASmu SEPT. 2005
    MNSSHP SEPT. 22
    ANNIVERSARY DINNER
    ASmu April 2014

Post Thanks / Like

There's one located in Maryland! It's called Bengies and it's located in Baltimore near Eastern Blvd! I've only been once, the summer after my senior year of high school, but it was fantastic. Saw three movies for dirt cheap (even though the one was absolutely horrid) and my friend, who's dad owned a pick-up truck, drove. We parked the car so the bed was facing the screen and put out all sorts of blankets and stuff to lie down and watch the movie.

It was great! Highly recommend going. They do charge $7 for permits for outside food and beverage, but I understand why. I plan on hopefully going again this summer and introducing my friends from college to it!
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

Post Thanks / Like

Jaws was also the first movie I remember seeing at a Drive-In. As a kid it was always fun to go to the drive-in, and watch a movie. I really wish there were more still around.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I loved going to drive-in movies as a kid. So sad to see them turned into office parks and shopping malls through the years.

My nephew has told me that there's one in the Richmond, VA area.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    Hi fellow MN'er! The one on 94 and manning? I think it is opening again soon. I haven't been in a long time (mainly because I couldn't stay up that late on a work night, but also because many of my weekends are spent up at the cabin!). The drive in will always remind me of college. That was always the place we would go in the summer for pretty cheap entertainment.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: