Quantcast Pre-Trip Nightmare WDW Misleading!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Do you think this ad was misleading?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 8.16%
  • No

39 79.59%
  • Not Sure

6 12.24%

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Pre-Trip Nightmare WDW Misleading!

My husband and I decided we wanted to take our 7 & 9 yr. olds to WDW. This will actually be the first planned trip we've taken as a family. Back in January 2011 we started browsing the WDW site and came across a special offer called "kids stay and play free" when you book a 4 night 4 day magic your way vacation package. Sounded like a plan! I clicked on the offer and was asked what day we wanted to check in. I put in May 9, 2011 and the system automatically filled in May 12, 2011. I continued with my information, booked the trip, and paid for it.
    Now, here we are, a month before our trip and we begin the planning when I get to planning the dates out and realize it's actually only 3 nights. So, I call WDW cust. serv. where I get transferred from one person to another only to have their final stand as "I changed the date to 3 nights". I argued that I did not change anything, the system automatically filled in the check out date. Then, after being transferred to another person, she tells me ,"well that package was for the value resorts" and I chose a moderate. Then why does my confirmation say "kids stay and play for free offer"? It's a complete cop out. They offered a package and now won't stand behind it. Of course now my husband is completely livid because here we are making plans around a 4 night vacation and we're minus 1 night of accommodations and meals, which we included with purchase.
    One of the agents I talked to recommended that I send an email explaining what happened to WDW guest communications. Well, I did that and I got an immediate response saying that they've received my email and they would be in contact with me within 10 days. So, I will post an update later with the results of whether they plan to honor the advertisement or not.
    I just wanted to write this post to help anyone that may be planning a trip to WDW and want to take advantage of any special offers. You really need to double check that you are getting what is advertised. What's worse is I'm becoming less and less excited about this trip and it should be a happy occasion. My sister and sister-in-law have both been with their families within the last couple of months and they both came back complaining about the crowds and portions of the parks being under construction. Of course, they both went during spring break which would understandably be crowded. Hopefully we'll miss some of that being as we're going in May. In closing, just make sure you're getting what they're advertising!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you... it sounds like quite a bit of miscommunication, and I hope you receive a positive e-mail back from Disney!

Here is what I found on the offer from Disney:

Kids 3-9 Stay & Play Free!
    Purchase a Magic Your Way Vacation Package that includes room and theme park tickets, and children age 3-9 can stay and get a theme park admission ticket FREE. Offer is available for stays most nights 2/17/11-4/16/11, 4/28/11-6/14/11 and 8/14/11-10/1/11.

The free children's tickets are Base Tickets (admission to one theme park per day, with no park hopping) valid for the same number of days as any adult tickets purchased as part of the package. Note that kids 17 and under always stay free in a room with parents at Disney, so the actual value of this package is from the free tickets for the kids.

Ticket upgrades such as the Park Hopper Option and/or Water Park Fun & More Option can be added to the Base Tickets, but you will pay the full cost of upgrading ($57.51 per ticket, per option, tax included).

Book by 2/13/11 for stays 2/17/11-4/16/11; book by 3/27/11 for stays 4/28/11-6/14/11 and 8/14/11-10/1/11. 3-night minimum stay required. The number of packages available at this rate is limited. Child must stay in room with adult. Base Tickets are for one theme park per day and must be used within 14 days of first use. Maximum of four Guests per room.

It doesn't mention it being for value resorts, but it does say a 3-night minimum stay is required. So maybe that is why the booking site automatically put in May 12th... if you wanted the 4-night offer, maybe you had to change it -- but that certainly doesn't seem clear. I know when the offer first came out, it was a 4 night/4 day offer for Visa cardholders... this offer for the general public that came out a few days later was a bit different.

I really hope Disney can work the bugs out for you and bring the magic back -- and I hope that once you get there, no matter what, you have a GREAT time!!

(oh, and I think you'll find the crowds MUCH different than what your family has experienced... we've been in May, and the crowds were very low and manageable. I do believe there are still some scrims up on Main St in MK, but other than that, I think you'll find most everything "normal". )
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you didn't get what you thought you were getting. Did you get a confirmation? Typically, your confirmation would have all your vacation information on it including your check in date and the number of nights you were going to stay.

It won't help you for this trip but, for any future trips, I'd suggest working with Magical Journeys. They'd make sure you got what you expected without any hassles on your part.

I know I've had a few experiences with an online resource automatically plugging in information it thinks I want so I always try to be doubly careful in doing things like booking airline tickets and hotel rooms.

I truly hope you are able to resolve this to your satisfaction. This is certainly not the way to begin your first trip!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the ad was misleading at all. The ad offered "kids stay free" and that's what you got.

When I book a hotel room anywhere, not just Disney, the check out date is automatically put in for me. If there is no minimum night stay then the check out date is automatically the next day, if there is a minimum night stay then the check out date automatically goes to that number of nights. As the person booking and paying for the trip, its my responsibility to make sure the dates are indeed what I want before booking. It looks like you may have overlooked changing the check out date to include your 4th night. Since there was a 3 night minimum, and that's what you ended up with, it looks like the system did an automatic check out date based upon their ad and you didn't catch it until now.

I'm sorry that your first trip is starting off on a bad note. I do hope you can find a way to make that extra night happen, and that when its all said and done you can have a fabulous trip!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Their system is automated...it does that all of the time and I just have to make sure to change the dates. I never have actually booked on line though. I always call Disney directly and have one of their Cast Members do it....I just like to price it myself online first.
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of your comments and I understand what you're saying about the dates, but what I'm upset about is the fact that I'm no professional at booking trips.When I see an advertisement that says "4 nights/4 days" and I click on it, that's what I expect to get. Not the "fine printed", "minimum" number of days of which it does not mention once you're into the booking. If there was a minimum of 3 nights, that should have been printed right after the headline of "4 nights/ 4 days" so there's no confusion.