Quantcast Bed Bugs - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bed Bugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bed Bugs

Here is a link to the bed bug registry, and the most recent guest reports on the bed bug status of the wdw resort hotels, as well as hotels elsewhere. I don't understand why they don't just check each room while cleaning,...seems to me that an extra five minutes of checking could save both disney and the guests thousands of dollars, not to mention bad feelings, ruined memories, and severe allergic reactions.

[Link removed per TOS]
    Last edited by brownie; 04-10-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Removed link per TOS

BCR 05/10
    BCR 10/09
    BCR 4/09
    PCR 9/08
    Tropical Palms (off property / RV) 4/08
    FWC 3/08
    YCR 12/06
    PCR 9/06
    PCR 5/05
    POR 9/04
    CBR 9/03
    AKL 5/01

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, bed bugs are a problem EVERYWHERE, not just Disney. You can pick up bed bugs from someone rubbing up against you in a super market. Checking the room for an extra five minutes will not cure it. Sometimes they lay dormant without being seen in the rugs, walls, curtains, etc., so even if they check this morning, they will come out of hiding at night. It is not guaranteed that if you check the spot now that they won't show up in the same spot you already checked, later.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh!
    I have read that the worst of the bed bug epidemic is in the mid states.Big cities like NYC, Detroit, and Philadelphia have been hard hit, too. It's such a shame because it seems to be a vicious cycle that never ends. Too bad WDW and other Orlando hotels won't use the dogs that are specially trained to sniff them out. Aggressively, as in whenever a guest leaves. It would be a huge public service.Also, at night, they should check the parks as well. I work in a major NYC university, and I can tell you that they had severe infestations in the library, dorms, etc. It's bad enough to pick up bed bugs from travel, but it must be a real nightmare to get bitten and bring them home from WDW. Thankfully, I've never seen a bedbug there in all my past 12 trips.

I have also read that people should bring garbage bags and flashlights to inspect the mattresses, headboards, etc., and to bag their luggage. I know I will if and when I travel again {{shudder}}.

BCR 05/10
    BCR 10/09
    BCR 4/09
    PCR 9/08
    FWC 3/08
    YCR 12/06
    PCR 9/06
    PCR 5/05
    POR 9/04
    CBR 9/03
    AKL 5/01

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyfamilyof3 posted a good resource, but as per Intercot rules you can not post links, so if anyone would like the link to the registry please send me a private message and I will be more than happy to send you the information. This is excellent resource for travel anywhere in the United States. You will NEVER want to visit New York City once you see the city map which plots every recorded bed bug event. I use it everytime before booking rooms in any hotel through out the U.S. Hope it helps you as well.
    Feb 2020 - FWC
    Jul 2019 - Poly
    2018 - WL - CL
    2017 - FWC
    2016 - WL

2012 - WL - CL
    2010 - WL
    2009 - WL
    2007 - WL
    2003 - WL
    2001 - FWC
    1974, 77, 83 & 1995 - Off site

Post Thanks / Like

Or just google bed bug registry. It's not hard to find. Personally, I've never encountered bed bugs at Disney, but for a place with so many visitors it's bound to happen on occasion. I've never bothered to do a room check, but maybe we will start.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are everywhere...our HR director just got back from a business trip to DC....she got bitten by bed bugs in a very nice hotel too...

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I sat here and read every bit of this post then called in my lunch...*gags* But this really is awesome information, I'm abit OCD and want to make sure I know what to do, so I get this Blue ultraviolet flashlight yall mentioned, take it with me in my purse, we check in and what part of the mattress do I look at? Under the sheets? Under the matress between the box springs? I'm soooo buggy phobic yalls little creeper emote was freaking me out LOL
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya Wolf,

From what I've been reading, it would be best to first inspect ANY hotel room (Disney, offsite, NYC, WDC, etc.) before bringing in any luggage. Reports vary on the best way to check: some say it's best to have the lights off, and that makes sense to me. All reports say it is best to take the sheets off each corner of the bed, and check in the mattress seams for anything that moves; can be brown, black or transparent, depending on when the bugs last fed on blood. One may also look for brown/black fecal stains on the mattress. One report mentioned stated that, while three mattress corners were clear, the fourth harbored a major bedbug infestation. Yet another report stated that the bugs were found after Disney hotel management lifted up the mattress. Yet another hotel report, in Fla. but not Disney, stated that the bugs were found when the tv was shifted.

All reports concur that it is best to keep your luggage on the metal racks in the closet,...some people favor bagging them with black garbage bags.

I know this is gross, but I'd rather everyone knows what to do rather than take some stowaways home in their luggage. From what I understand, once people's homes become infested, it can take several thousand dollars and six months or more to get rid of these pests. By then, most people have sleep disorders and PTSD. Some may laugh at the precautions, but I just think it's smart to take preventative measures. I'd even keep my luggage outside when I got home, off the plane, until I inspected them, also.

Hopefully, there is an exterminator on Intercot who may offer more professional advice, as I'm just posting what I've read from other people, and can't vouch for it from personal experience.

BCR 05/10
    BCR 10/09
    BCR 4/09
    PCR 9/08
    FWC 3/08
    YCR 12/06
    PCR 9/06
    PCR 5/05
    POR 9/04
    CBR 9/03
    AKL 5/01

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bed Bugs

This is a great thread. Never thought to look, but I will be looking from now on!
    Jen
    Massachusetts

October 1995 - Carribean Beach

November 2007 - All Star Movies

August 2016 - All Star Music/Port Orleans Riverside

August 2019 - All Star Music/Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfamilyof3 View Post
    Hiya Wolf,

From what I've been reading, it would be best to first inspect ANY hotel room (Disney, offsite, NYC, WDC, etc.) before bringing in any luggage. Reports vary on the best way to check: some say it's best to have the lights off, and that makes sense to me. All reports say it is best to take the sheets off each corner of the bed, and check in the mattress seams for anything that moves; can be brown, black or transparent, depending on when the bugs last fed on blood. One may also look for brown/black fecal stains on the mattress. One report mentioned stated that, while three mattress corners were clear, the fourth harbored a major bedbug infestation. Yet another report stated that the bugs were found after Disney hotel management lifted up the mattress. Yet another hotel report, in Fla. but not Disney, stated that the bugs were found when the tv was shifted.

All reports concur that it is best to keep your luggage on the metal racks in the closet,...some people favor bagging them with black garbage bags.

I know this is gross, but I'd rather everyone knows what to do rather than take some stowaways home in their luggage. From what I understand, once people's homes become infested, it can take several thousand dollars and six months or more to get rid of these pests. By then, most people have sleep disorders and PTSD. Some may laugh at the precautions, but I just think it's smart to take preventative measures. I'd even keep my luggage outside when I got home, off the plane, until I inspected them, also.

Hopefully, there is an exterminator on Intercot who may offer more professional advice, as I'm just posting what I've read from other people, and can't vouch for it from personal experience.
    I am an administrator for an agency that houses individuals with developmental disabilities and one of our residential sites had issues with bed bugs. You are spot on that it takes thousands of dollars to get rid of these pests and the price includes one year of coverage if the bugs return within the year. There is a one time payment of $3,000 + for the one time spraying of the home or we could have paid half that price for 6 monthly sprayings of the home which it was told to us that this method was "less effective". For a dog to come in and find the bugs it was a charge of $600 + just to see if you do in fact have bed bugs present.
    I will say that after the $3,000 service, that the bugs were termintated completely!!

This is the extent of my bed bug knowledge.
    POP 05, 06, 07, 09
    All Star Sports 08
    AKKV 10
    CBR 9/14 -25, 2011
    POR 9/9/2012 - 9/20/2012
    8/31/2013 thru 9/1/2013 All Star Sports
    9/2/2013 thru 9/13/2013 Caribbean Beach Preferred Room

Post Thanks / Like

originally posted by WOLF - Of course I sat here and read every bit of this post then called in my lunch...*gags* But this really is awesome information, I'm abit OCD and want to make sure I know what to do, so I get this Blue ultraviolet flashlight yall mentioned, take it with me in my purse, we check in and what part of the mattress do I look at? Under the sheets? Under the matress between the box springs? I'm soooo buggy phobic yalls little creeper emote was freaking me out LOL

We have encountered bedbugs twice in our travels...once (in all places) in Cedar Falls Iowa at a nearly new hotel and once at WDW, we found the ones in Iowa after doing a thorough check-in inspection of the bedding, but did not discover our problem at disney (POFQ) until we found the bites (both my wife and I had linear sets of bites on our arms and abdomen after waking up in the morning.

They sent someone up to inspect the room but could not find the location of the bugs...they ended up moving us to another room and doing a few things to kind of make up for our issues. As soon as we got moved out, they sent a crew in who stripped the bedding and when I peeked in the window I could see them lifting the mattresses and box springs of the bed frame. I talked with the workers and had them kind of show me the "best" places to look for them (turns out the headboards and artwork hung on the wall above the head of the bed are also a common sites to find them).

We asked them for heavy duty trash bags to put all of our dirty clothes in and anything else that had been on the bed and floor...we put all suitcases in sealed plastic bags to keep any potential hitchhikers from getting in the car on the drive home and then did a thorough inspection of our luggage and traveling gear before anything came into the house...everything that came back eventually either got washed and hot dried or treated with sterifab. We were nervous for a few weeks, but had no future problems.

Let me close by saying they can be an issue anywhere you go..not just hotel rooms, but lobby furniture, theaters, etc...and while its prudent to be careful (we now do VERY thorough examinations) don't let it become an obsession that messes with your mind too much.

We continue to travel (in fact we recently got back from a great stay at POR) and enjoy ourselves. Disney seems (from my non-expert perspective) to do a good job of control and in our case moved quickly to prevent what was likely some stragglers from previous visitors from becoming a bonafide infestation. So chances are you can go and visit without having any worries...in fact the honest truth of the matter is that almost every one does.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I have never checked before but after reading through this thread I will definitely be checking when we go in October.
    Lauren

AKL ('04)
    BLT ('11)
    CBR ('09, '15)
    CSR ('03, '11, '16)
    POFQ ('06, '14)
    POLY ('12 - Honeymoon)
    WL ('05, '08, '13)
    BWI ('15)
    Disney Cruise ('15)
    Disneyland Hotel ('08, '14)

Next Up: Beach Club- Oct 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Okay yall thank you so much!!!
    You can't take the sky from me

Post Thanks / Like

They are definitely everywhere. I know some NYC publishing offices that were closed down to treat infestations. So of course, anything in storage in NYC which goes anywhere else, like clothing or merchandise, can be at risk. It's important to be vigilant, but I'm also of the mind that it could happen anywhere, planes, shops, offices, not just for hotel rooms anymore. And you can't just live in fear.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poohshoneypot View Post
    The best kind of flash light to use is a blue illumination flash light, per my better half. He is an Orkin Tech.

The thought of bed bugs freaks me out. We are going in Oct....and he'll be inspecting the room, like always.
    My husband works for Orkin also...he checks throughly before we bring in any luggage. We go every year and knock on wood...no bugs!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

This thread currently has over 10,000 views. I think you've hit a nerve.

Post Thanks / Like

Do what I do.... just leave the door open when you go to the park and the lizards running around will get in there and eat the bed bugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDOG View Post
    Do what I do.... just leave the door open when you go to the park and the lizards running around will get in there and eat the bed bugs.
    LOL! Now that's "green" thinking ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dizneydeb22 View Post
    My husband works for Orkin also...he checks throughly before we bring in any luggage. We go every year and knock on wood...no bugs!
    Do you mean like an LED flashlight? What kind of 'blue light' does he mean?
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I look at it this way - they're cheap souvenirs.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: