Quantcast Fantasyland Skyway Finally Coming Down

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasyland Skyway Finally Coming Down

Message updated by Figment! on 03-21-2011 at 11:06 PM:

The public documents for this project can be found linked below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message originally posted by GothMickey on 03-07-2011 at 04:01 PM:

Plans have been leaked online. The permits have been filed. The Fantasyland Skyway will be torn down. Restrooms will be built in the area. Along with the new restrooms, Peter Pan's queue will be extended and made interactive, as part of the Next Gen project. The queue will swallow up the bathrooms next to Pan and Columbia Harbour House. Also, Yankee Trader will survive the redo of the area, new paths to Liberty Square will be constructed, which will eleviate crowd flow problems. The blue prints so what appears to be a waterfall in the area. I am assuming the hill currently there will be built up, with more trees being added, to block the HM and Small World warehouse show buildings.

I think, personally, this will really help with some of the congestion in the area. The transition from Fantasyland to Liberty Square does not appear to be affected at all. The area should transition nicely.

Discuss.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me. I like the idea of the waterfall and Peter Pan could use a better queue given the 45+ minute wait (not that I would ever wait that long, we always use fastpass).
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I'm clueless. What is the skyway and where is it located (in refernce to what exists now)?

Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

It is the area for stroller parking in Fantasyland near Liberty Square. It used to be one end of the Skyway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I like the new ideas! Although I am not a big fan of the new queues. I think they will cause trouble between guests who want to "play" in line and those who just want to ride the ride. The Pooh one is fun but I find it annoying.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post
    I'm clueless. What is the skyway and where is it located (in refernce to what exists now)?
    The remaining skyway station is located to the left of It's A Small World (if you are looking at it from Peter Pan). It's actually a cool looking building. Too bad they couldn't incorporate it into some of these plans, but I get it.

If this is accurate, sounds like some nice improvements. But again with the interactive queues......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

But again with the interactive queues......
    I'm thinking this too. What's the obsession over interactive queues over at WDW all of a sudden? They haven't incorporated this idea at all over at Disneyland...

You know what the kids would REALLY like? Hand every one of them an ipod touch when they get in line preloaded with Disney apps, movies, and games. THAT would be the sort of interactive queue my kids would be in favor of.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

There are other sites where people posted pictures of their own photoshop renderings based on the blue prints... If the final product looks anything like the doctored pictures, this will be fantastic!!! Much needed... However, I rather Peter Pan get the northern portion of Storybook Circus Land... Make Never Land back there.... Build the Skull Mountain and create a state of the art, brand new Peter Pan attraction... Tink can get Pixie Hollow.. She can do her Meet and Greets there.. Pan and Wendy can do Meet and Greets there as well... I think this would have been a better use of the land than keeping those darn circus tents... AGH!!!!
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything that would spread out the guests in that bottleneck is welcome news to me. I've been through there during a semi-light crowd day when it's been a nightmare trying to get through.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Sounds good to me. I agree with everyone that this is a bad spot for crowds, so whatever they can do to move people through there more smoothly is a good thing.

Gonna miss the old skyway building, though, but if the interactive queue for Peter Pan is anything like Pooh's new queue it'll be cool. I really like what they did with Pooh.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I see the artist renderings? Thanks!
    Sean
    So many Happy Trips!

6/30/12 through 7/10/12 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/11 through 1/4/12 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/10 thorugh 1/4/11 Fort Wilderness!

7/1/10 through 7/14/10 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/09 through 1/4/10 Fort Wilderness!

7/1/10 through 7/11/10 Fort Wilderness!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4TheWorld View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    The remaining skyway station is located to the left of It's A Small World (if you are looking at it from Peter Pan). It's actually a cool looking building. Too bad they couldn't incorporate it into some of these plans, but I get it.

If this is accurate, sounds like some nice improvements. But again with the interactive queues......
    The area is also used as stroller parking.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

It's about time. The attraction has been permanently closed for over 11 years.
    They also need to replace or do something really innovative with the Tomorrowland Skyway station building.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    There are other sites where people posted pictures of their own photoshop renderings based on the blue prints... If the final product looks anything like the doctored pictures, this will be fantastic!!! Much needed... However, I rather Peter Pan get the northern portion of Storybook Circus Land... Make Never Land back there.... Build the Skull Mountain and create a state of the art, brand new Peter Pan attraction... Tink can get Pixie Hollow.. She can do her Meet and Greets there.. Pan and Wendy can do Meet and Greets there as well... I think this would have been a better use of the land than keeping those darn circus tents... AGH!!!!
    Love that idea! Much better than a circus theme, which makes me want to go "AGH!!" too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slegrant View Post
    Where can I see the artist renderings? Thanks!
    I doubt we will see artist renderings of the area as it really isn't big news... Maybe once they do finally annouce Pan's queue, we MAY see something.. But I highly doubt they will release concept art for bathrooms...

And if you want to see what other people have done using photoshop, the pictures are out there... Not sure if Google will help, but try it out... The pictures have been done by fans on other fan sites...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

the interactive queues are nice, but..... often times the kids play with them too much and make the lines way too long
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

McKinney, TX (1173 miles from DisneyWorld)
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember hearing some time ago that the reason that the Skyway station remained there is because it hides part of the ride building of the Haunted Mansion.
    "Gawrsh....I can't wait till my next trip to Disney World"

First Trip: 1982 Off Site

Last Trip: July 1st - July 11th 2019, Windsor Hills Resort

Next Trip: Disney has given me no incentive to return at this time, they've become the big money grab.

KUNGALOOSH!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just heard about this on a pod cast. I think it will be a good addition, but I really was hoping for more than just bathrooms to replace the old Skyway building
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

sounds nice but I really feel the interactive cues are a bit much. What happened to paying attention to your child in line.? My DD and I made up so many games while waiting in line, hand games, guessing games, rock paper sissors. Now I have to watch parents drag their screaming child away. Kind of ruins things a bit. Down time is precious, just talking with your children is priceless.

Maybe I am just old....
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    sounds nice but I really feel the interactive cues are a bit much. What happened to paying attention to your child in line.? My DD and I made up so many games while waiting in line, hand games, guessing games, rock paper sissors. Now I have to watch parents drag their screaming child away. Kind of ruins things a bit. Down time is precious, just talking with your children is priceless.

Maybe I am just old....
    Just remember that "old" and "wise" frequently go hand in hand.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: