Quantcast Parents sue because of Hot nacho cheese - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it when people make up things to get money, if that is the case here...but we don't know.

I was thinking about how a CM could have gotten it on the child....and here's my scenario, for what it's worth....the nacho cheese sauce was running low....the CM went into the kitchen and microwaved a new bag of nacho cheese...then carried it out into Cosmic Rays to "dump"it into the Nacho Cheese dispenser and as fate would have it, the little boy and the CM were too close to each other and a splash went on the child's face. Parent's coulda been standing right there and the little one scurried by and "ouch"!!!

It coulda happened that way and it woulda been plenty hot.....just saying it is plausible.

With that said, I do think that parents should be a little more aware of where their 4 - 6 year child is. If there was time for the "splash", there was time for just about anything bad happening to the poor child.
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post

I was thinking about how a CM could have gotten it on the child....and here's my scenario, for what it's worth....the nacho cheese sauce was running low....the CM went into the kitchen and microwaved a new bag of nacho cheese...then carried it out into Cosmic Rays to "dump"it into the Nacho Cheese dispenser and as fate would have it, the little boy and the CM were too close to each other and a splash went on the child's face. Parent's coulda been standing right there and the little one scurried by and "ouch"!!!
    But that's not what happened. There is really no need to speculate; the parents laid out the scenario, and by their account, it was an accident, and 100% the child's fault. Kid lost his balance, reached out for the tray of food to steady himself, and flung the nacho cheese sauce cup up in the air and it landed on his face. Supposedly. What they are arguing is that the cheese was TOO hot, and that Disney "didn't care" about their son's injuries (which I highly doubt is true; I bet Disney didn't even KNOW about this until the lawsuit was filed).

In your scenario, that would have been 100% the fault of the CM, and a lawsuit would probably have been merited.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    Count me in
    u were watching your kids right.... im a little skeptical
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    I had an accident at work while inspecting a fire system in a restaurant 10 years ago where both my legs fell into the vat fryer and 375 degree cooking oil. I have MINIMAL scarring from that.

Unless Disney's serving nacho cheese at white hot temps, this is a bogus lawsuit.

How in gawds green earth did you get in a position to fall in a fryer?!?!?!?

I am gobsmacked . . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post

How in gawds green earth did you get in a position to fall in a fryer?!?!?!?

I am gobsmacked . . . . .
    Working in the fire alarm occupation as well...its very easy...there are devices that need to be tested above fryers. Our state makes it mandated to do quarterly testing of fire alarm systems/devices. And while Im not a technician in the field, I work in the office, but know a lot of what the testing involves its surprisingly easy. Alot of times there are detectors that are required to be installed about fryers so this way here if the fryer gets to hot are starts to create a fire or smoke as its not supposed to it will activate the fire alarm system. So if he was testing or installing a device above it its very easy. My technicians have horror stories on a daily basis when it comes to jobs lol
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Thanks, TinkerbellT421!

I guess I'm naive thinking that those sorts of things would be installed/tested when the fryers are emptied, off or being cleaned.

Count me out of that kind of environment
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

How did the child lose balance? Was he leaning back in the chair or did someone knock into him?

With the suit as laid out, it really sounds fishy.
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    Thanks, TinkerbellT421!

I guess I'm naive thinking that those sorts of things would be installed/tested when the fryers are emptied, off or being cleaned.

Count me out of that kind of environment
    Your not naive hun In a perfect world (I do inspection scheduling for fire alarms) We try to do that. But usually the only times those systems are off, are after normal business hours, which means customers having to pay after hours rates, and obviously with these economic times, alot of customers wont do it. And you cant force them to either. So the next thing is having to work around them. So its a great thought but unfortunately not always possible. I feel so bad for my techs most of them time. Just the things they have to deal with is outrageous. But they chose that career and job and I give them a lot of credit.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to add in my feelings....ok first of all yes, the cheese sauce at Cosmic Rays is hot and sometimes VERY hot. However, there is a sign right underneath it that warns guests of this fact. So regardless of how the sauce or if the sauce caused this child to get burned as badly as claimed, Disney is not responsible.....the parents should have been more careful about allowing their child to eat it. And I for one know some parents seem to forget their roles as parents once they enter WDW. Can't tell you how many times I have been amazed at the lack of supervision and parenting just because they are on vacation. When I was a CP one thing they told us during training was that we must never agree to watching someone's child even if the parent says it is for a moment. It must happen a lot if they tell new CMs this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honeebee86 View Post
    .....the parents should have been more careful about allowing their child to eat it. And I for one know some parents seem to forget their roles as parents once they enter WDW. Can't tell you how many times I have been amazed at the lack of supervision and parenting just because they are on vacation. When I was a CP one thing they told us during training was that we must never agree to watching someone's child even if the parent says it is for a moment. It must happen a lot if they tell new CMs this.
    That is so true. So many kids are unsupervised, being allowed to act whatever way they want, just because they are on "vacation". Some parents take this as a vacation from parenting.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honeebee86 View Post
    Just wanted to add in my feelings....ok first of all yes, the cheese sauce at Cosmic Rays is hot and sometimes VERY hot. However, there is a sign right underneath it that warns guests of this fact. So regardless of how the sauce or if the sauce caused this child to get burned as badly as claimed, Disney is not responsible.....the parents should have been more careful about allowing their child to eat it. And I for one know some parents seem to forget their roles as parents once they enter WDW. Can't tell you how many times I have been amazed at the lack of supervision and parenting just because they are on vacation. When I was a CP one thing they told us during training was that we must never agree to watching someone's child even if the parent says it is for a moment. It must happen a lot if they tell new CMs this.
    It's true at a lot of tourist attractions. I work in a museum that's family-friendly, although not specifically geared towards children. Parents constantly allow their kids to run around, hop into roped-off areas to touch exhibits, and try to leave children alone with employees. The wort part is not knowing how parents are going to react. Some parents have kids running around and look at me, the employee, like "Why aren't you stopping them?", while others get angry at employees for telling their children in the most polite tone to please stop running. I imagine at Disney it's that much worse for CMs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Narawen View Post
    Parents constantly allow their kids to run around, hop into roped-off areas to touch exhibits, and try to leave children alone with employees. The wort part is not knowing how parents are going to react. Some parents have kids running around and look at me, the employee, like "Why aren't you stopping them?", while others get angry at employees for telling their children in the most polite tone to please stop running. I imagine at Disney it's that much worse for CMs.
    It makes me crazy to see kids running around in places like that when they shouldn't be. I don't blame the kids, they are....well....kids! Parents of those kids are to blame. I know, I know, there are exceptions, the kid slips away and it takes a little bit to wrangle them back, that's not what I'm talking about. My example is at a restaurant. People are eating, servers are serving (hopefully hot food) and a child is runing through the restaurant being ignored by the parent. I am amazed not to have seen a server tripped by a kid and the tray land on the kid. I am sure in that situation the irresponsible parent would be blaming the server and the restaurant. We seem to be in a world where there are more safety precautions, but not enough personal responsiblity. I do repeat though, I don't think it's the majority. As always the bad minority ruin it for everyone else.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just the nurse coming out in me or does anyone else feel like ordering nachos for a four year old is a poor nutritional choice?
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    Is it just the nurse coming out in me or does anyone else feel like ordering nachos for a four year old is a poor nutritional choice?
    I don't feel that way while at Disney.

I believe it's sauce and not nachos that are served. They use the sauce for chili cheese fries, chili dog and general dipping sauce.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I think its just the nurse in you ...(but that is not necessarily a bad thing)...however, i think most of us kind of put nutrition on the back burner on vacation (especially one where we burn as many calories as we do during a day in WDW).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    I think its just the nurse in you ...(but that is not necessarily a bad thing)....
    Yes, I need to be reminded of reality every once in a while.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel terrible for the child. Every time I hear about a child getting hurt, and I don't think any of the reports deny that the child was hurt, I think of my son, and how I feel when he gets hurt.

BUT, it's up to the parents to turn every bad experience into a positive one. If my son was burned by hot nacho cheese sauce, we'd seek medical attention, do everything we could to make him feel better and get that smile back on his face... and probably buy him a ridiculously expensive toy.

These parents turned a negative into a really big negative. Now their entire vacation has this cloud over it, and the child was denied happiness because the parents reacted the wrong way.
    Steve

Ohana means family....
    Schultzy means crazy family!

Last Trip: November 2015 At POP

Next Trip: May 2017 at POP...again. Unless the FP+ thing isn't worked out. Then we'll go to Dollywood. Or just stay home and look at pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    Your not naive hun In a perfect world (I do inspection scheduling for fire alarms) We try to do that. But usually the only times those systems are off, are after normal business hours, which means customers having to pay after hours rates, and obviously with these economic times, alot of customers wont do it. And you cant force them to either. So the next thing is having to work around them. So its a great thought but unfortunately not always possible. I feel so bad for my techs most of them time. Just the things they have to deal with is outrageous. But they chose that career and job and I give them a lot of credit.
    They do have covers that can be put over them, assuming they haven't been lost, misplaced, or absconded with.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, lots of posts representing lots of opinions. FWIW, some thoughts on what I can remember from all the various posts.

First, I don't believe the parents. Not for one second. It sounds to me like yet another of the myriad legal-lottery players hoping for a big payday for no reason.

Second, even assuming there was an actual accident, and assuming there was actual injuries, and assuming the injuries were serious, you would still need to prove negligence on Disney's part. This is the infuriating part for me. It's like the McD's coffee lawsuit, which brings me to...

Third, the lawsuit for McD's coffee only worked because there were people on the jury who had dollar signs in their eyes down the road for themselves. Yes, I know the coffee was actually hotter than it was supposed to be...by a whopping 25 degrees. It was served at around 185 degrees and was supposed to be around 160. I am still waiting for anyone to convince me that if the coffee had been 160, she would have been fine, but that extra 25 degrees was worth $4 Million. Oh, and let's completely absolve the woman of driving with coffee between her legs, too.

Fourth, while there are some lawyers who are ethical, there are also those who are not. It's just like every other profession in history. There are ambulance chasers who will bring a lawsuit for any reason hoping for the big payday of a settlement.

Lastly, I hope against hope that these people are embarrassed and the suit is tossed. I would love to see a loser pays system in addition to some other types of tort reform, but it will likely not happen in my lifetime.
    DD is headed back this summer for a 2nd tour as a CP Intern!
    Time to renew our annual passes.

Last trip was Mar 2015
    Next trip is Aug 2015
    Began with day trips in 70's
    Too many trips to count

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    They do have covers that can be put over them, assuming they haven't been lost, misplaced, or absconded with.
    Except many places will not use them a) because they are using the fryers/cookers/grills, etc or b) the fyers/cookers/grills etc were too recently used to be covered. But in some cases they are used but in most they are not.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16