Quantcast Parents sue because of Hot nacho cheese - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So now, on the basis of a small paragraph in a news report, we have convicted the parents of child abuse.
    Maybe we should wait for all the evidence and then convict them of child abuse.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It is awful a child was injured.

I'd like to know if the parents reported the incident when it happened. Did they let anyone at Disney know at the time? Did they go to first-aid? When was the picture taken? Why did it take so long to file suit?

Post Thanks / Like

My husband is an attorney. He actually had a Mcdonalds law suit in the late 80's early 90's where a child was significantly and permantly scarred from coffee and it was one of the things that helped make the caution signs more prominant. I find it hard to believe that an attorney would take a case like this without providing merit and then the court has to agree that the merit is there. Nonsense, frilvilous suits usually get weeded out of the court system. I chose to wait until I hear the outcome of that hearing before making any judgments on anyone.

I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable with the level this thread has taken. Not all law suits are bad and most attorneys are very ethical.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by disney obsessed View Post
    My husband is an attorney. He actually had a Mcdonalds law suit in the late 80's early 90's where a child was significantly and permantly scarred from coffee and it was one of the things that helped make the caution signs more prominant. I find it hard to believe that an attorney would take a case like this without providing merit and then the court has to agree that the merit is there. Nonsense, frilvilous suits usually get weeded out of the court system. I chose to wait until I hear the outcome of that hearing before making any judgments on anyone.

I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable with the level this thread has taken. Not all law suits are bad and most attorneys are very ethical.
    I don't agree. Altough your Husband is probably a stand up guy, not all lawyers are. With the "Deep pockets" theory practiced by so many ambulance chasing lawyers, often, there is absolutely ZERO expectation of winning the case. Rather, they rely on the belief that large corporations or municipalities will "settle out of court." The corporations or municipaliyes see it as a way to save money because if they have to defend themselves in court, costs are incurred. They can actually shell out a few grand, end the suit, and save money in the end..

I deal with this type of thing regularly. Whether in court, or taking reports for "Civil Matters" which are obviously frivilous.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.
    I guess the public opinion of the current legal system is as jaded as I hoped it was not.
    Sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BraddyB View Post
    IF, the child was burned as badly as stated, I am sure Disney would have filed an accident report. I am also sure they would have photos of the incident. Sounds like someone is trying to use their stupidity to increase their wallet size.

No one would sue Disney because of blisters on their feet!!!

BUT I am thinking of a class action lawsuit against Disney for emotional distress after leaving the park. I suffer depression, fatigue, and either weight loss or gain. Anyone want in on my suit.
    Count my in
    Three years in Connecticut and loving it
    Next trip in Jan 2017 I hope!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.
    I guess the public opinion of the current legal system is as jaded as I hoped it was not.
    Sad.
    Not to get off the subject, but, the American people and the lawyers made things this way...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Also think about what I am about to ask and say.

Does anyone ever wonder why so many companies invest heavily in camera systems, and recording hardware and software? It is to protect themselves.

However, it is impossible for any human to constantly observe a video screen. Many of us would be suprised how many cameras there probably are in Disney. Perhaps it is time for Disney to start putting cameras everywhere just in case. As I see it there is no expectation of privacy in a public places except restrooms, therefore they can be placed.

I suggest this as only one possible way for Disney to ever be able to prove no wrong doing on their part. But I feel there will always be somebody out there looking for a quick way to make a buck.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

şoş It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.
    Sad.
    Sad, indeed. But it is a reputation that is well deserved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Kelly View Post
    Many of us would be suprised how many cameras there probably are in Disney.
    My guess is the ONLY time you're NOT on camera at WDW is in the bathroom. And if I'm that far off from the reality, I'd be floored.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have several things to add about this situation...

I ate at Cosmic Rays my last trip, about a month ago, on said nacho cheese sauce there is a warning sign, clear as day, saying "HOT." It is a requirement by the law that all self serve equipment be marked if it is a warming tool. Also, the cheese can not possible be 160 degrees as the lawyer stated. Cheese sauces and other foods that are served warm have to held at 130 degrees to be food safe. If the food was 160 degrees of higher, it'd be runny and that cheese sauce is not runny, in fact, it's barely even hot. At my job we just had a problem like this. My employees cooked a pizza the proper way, put the pizza on a serving pan, which is different than the pan used for cooking, and was served to the customer. Apparently this customer tripped on the wet floor (the floor is carpet by the way, wet carpet doesn't make ya trip) and got 3rd degrees burns on her arm because she fell into the pizza and was burnt by the pizza cheese. This customer had someone get her a bag of ice, but the other customers refused to tell us what the ice was for. We had no idea she had been burned until her father called later that night cursing me out. This sounds like the same thing.

People just get more ignorant, greedy, and flat out stupid all the time. It's pathetic. Disney should not lose this one, if they do, I will have officially lost all hope in our judicial system.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Wow.
    Sad.
    Its the best system around, but that doesn't mean it's without fault. Unfortunately, it only seems to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    Sad, indeed. But it is a reputation that is well deserved.

Aint it the truth. Not only are people suit happy, the criminal justice system is insane. The same violent offenders offered probabtion, over and over.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, so this family is also being brought to court because they failed to pay their rent? Is this true? Hm. Let's see. Let's sue Disney so Disney can pay our rent. Yep.

Now, playing Devil's Advocate. Was the cheese ovr the legal limit? Just like the one McDonald's case where the woman sued for spilling hot coffee on herself. She didn't win because the legal system in the US stinks (it does), but she won because the coffee was HOTTER than legally allowed. I know this case is usually the subject of a lot of jokes, but the people cracking the jokes don't know the facts behind it. Maybe this case is the same situation. While the parents should have been watching their 4 year old, if Disney had set the cheese to be heated at a temperature higher than legally allowed, then Disney has a problem and the family has a case.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets keep this on topic....
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bird Street View Post
    Finally, a lawsuit where I can use science to disprove it! (Disney can send me a check at any time.)

So this poor little fella was allegedly scalded by nacho cheese hovering somewhere around 160 degrees Fahrenheit. So far, this is totally plausible—scalding can occur with liquids or semi-solids at that temperature. We've all spilled hot wax or coffee onto ourselves in the past, right? Scalding can and does happen often.

Scarring, however, is a big claim. Medically speaking, you won't really have scarification unless you have a fairly deep second degree burn, one that progresses well beyond the epidermis and past the papillary dermis. Now unfortunately, here's where I bring up thermodynamics. (Feel free to skip to the next post; this will be boring.)

If nacho cheese is at 160 degrees Fahrenheit, once it goes (presumably) airborne and lands on somebody's skin, it begins to lose heat. It's radiating heat into the air the whole time, and once it's in contact with skin, it begins losing heat a lot faster. Skin, being moisture- and lipid-laden, is a fairly efficient heat sink. Thus, whatever nacho cheese was there to burn the child will begin diffusing that heat wherever it is touching the skin. That skin will, then, transfer heat to surrounding tissue, and on and on, as heat will tend to do.

That is where the parents' story fails to hold water: nacho cheese at 160 degrees Fahrenheit will not constantly pump out 160 degrees Fahrenheit worth of heat over the same spot over time. Instead, its temperature will drop fairly quickly as the heat is conducted through the epidermis and so on. I can't accurately graph the temperature over time (I'm only a pretend doctor/lawyer/physicist), but I can say with certainty that 160 degree nacho cheese won't result in anything beyond a fairly icky first degree or borderline superficial second degree burn: maybe a blister, but no scarring.

The defense rests. And has a drink.
    Hey, you sound just like Carl Sagan. I thank you for the easy-to-follow explanation about hot cheese sauce. I've burned my mouth on cheese pizza, and even raised a blister (it stuck to my lip). But I survived with no scars; just a healthy respect for hot, cheesy pizza.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

I had an accident at work while inspecting a fire system in a restaurant 10 years ago where both my legs fell into the vat fryer and 375 degree cooking oil. I have MINIMAL scarring from that.

Unless Disney's serving nacho cheese at white hot temps, this is a bogus lawsuit.

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree that I have seen the "hot" sign by the cheese. Our family eats the cheese at the Starlight every visit and I have always found it on the cool side. Who knows what temperature it was this day.

That said, burn damage to children can be far worse than an adult. Several years ago I was visting my aunt and a neighbor stopped by with their toddler aged child. I literially thought the child was in a fire. The amount of their body that was burned and the severity of the DEEP scarring I thought could be caused by nothing else but a fire. The neighbor seeing my reaction told me she made coffee, left the coffee on the table, and the child pulled the cup on top of themselves. She said it was her fault for not paying attention and the child needs multiple painful surgeries. What a lot of guilt to carry around.

To this day I am astonished at how much damage one cup of coffee on a small child could cause. I wouldn't be surprised hot cheese could damage a child worse than an adult.

I know when I get hot cheese it's hot. Soup is hot. Coffee is hot and so is hot chocolate. I don't blame others for burning my tounge or my lip on my hot food. If my child was burned by any of these things that I had in front of me, I would blame myself for not being careful. I wouldn't blame someone else for making things I expect to be hot too hot.

Gusgus

Post Thanks / Like

No one will ever know how hot the cheese was on that day, at that point in time. I can say, with certainty, that this incident has affected cheese Disney-wide. I ordered nachos at Whispering Canyon yesterday, knowing about this thread. I grabbed a chip covered with cheese as soon as the plate hit the table, and the cheese was slightly warmer than ice. Needless to say, it ruined the nachos.
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    Hey, you sound just like Carl Sagan. I thank you for the easy-to-follow explanation about hot cheese sauce. I've burned my mouth on cheese pizza, and even raised a blister (it stuck to my lip). But I survived with no scars; just a healthy respect for hot, cheesy pizza.
    After being at work for 8 hours, doped up on dayquil and halls cough drops, I thought you said "thank you for your cheesy-to-follow explanation"
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous. Thanks now we get to pay more! >:/

It's time to remember the magic!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: