Quantcast Parents sue because of Hot nacho cheese - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about Cosmic Rays, but we ate at Pecos Bills last week and I noticed there were signs right in front of the cheese pumps warning that the contents is hot. I also think this family is out to try to get whatever they can. I can't imagine one of my kids getting hurt to that extent and not asking someone working there there for some ice or taking them to the first aid center. It just doesn't add up. So sad, really.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had the cheese before and it has
    never been that hot. I think parents should
    test any foof for a child before the child eats
    it or handles it in anyway. People these days
    sue for any reason. Things didn't use to be the
    way they are today.

Post Thanks / Like

We always check the kids food before they even touch it. That is the adults responsibility. A 4 year old should not be near any type of sauce without an adults help. My 3 yr. old grandson always blows on his food to make sure it isn't too hot. I feel badly for the child and hope there wasn't any fool play involved.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    And honestly, why did these things never happen to us as children????????????
    I grew up in a house that was laden with asbestos and lead paint, in the pantry was just a sink on legs with every chemical under the sun sitting there without child proof caps to keep me out, I walked to school up hill both ways in the freezing winter by myself from like the second grade and I managed to turn out just fine!

How this many people can't seem to make it through a vacation these days without hurting or killing themselves is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I grew up in a house that was laden with asbestos and lead paint, in the pantry was just a sink on legs with every chemical under the sun sitting there without child proof caps to keep me out, I walked to school up hill both ways in the freezing winter by myself from like the second grade and I managed to turn out just fine!

How this many people can't seem to make it through a vacation these days without hurting or killing themselves is beyond me.
    Exactly!! I remember vividly as a kid, going to bakery and my mom getting me a strawberry shortcake thing. I remember eating it at home and I started choking on something, I was probably about 8 years old. It ended up being the piece of the bags they squirt the cream out, the tip had fallen off. My mom got it out of my mouth. She kindly went back to the store and asked for her money back, half eaten strawberry shortcake and tip in hand, they apologized and gave her a grocery shopping trip for free. Even though she just wanted her money back (which was probably $1.50) lol. She didnt even make a scene, and i remember her telling me when I was upset that "Honey accidents happen and we have to be smart enough to not let the situation hurt us more".

Hmmm thinking about it now, I wonder if I can still sue!??!
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Hey hey hey the suing for blisters and sore feet was my idea.

When we were there this past September I remember the cheese being self serve and not really that hot.

I feel for the kid, but come on, not the parents.
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

ºoº It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellT421 View Post
    People are so suit happy these days. This story brings back memories of the illicit.....McDonalds coffee is too hot when the woman proceeded to drive with scolding coffee cup between her legs....now Im not even going to attempt to go there but seriously...
    In fairness, the McDonald's lawsuit is much maligned, but if you do some research that suit actually had merit.

Apparently, McDonald's really was serving their coffee at an unsafe temperature. They lost that suit, paid out, and reduced the temperature at which they serve their coffee as a result of that suit.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If the temperature of the nacho cheese goes any lower they'll be able to just slice it. It's not THAT hot at all.

Secondly based on the original post, this supposedly happened last March, Why is that almost a year later a suit is being filed.

Thirdly, the sauce is self serve. Cosmic Rays is a fast food restaurant, they do no have servers.

Parents, and people in general, need to start taking responsibility of their own actions. sorry that the kid got burned, but what were the parents up to? I've had that sauce many times and stuck my finger in the little cup it was dispensed into and didn't even feel warm.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    According to another article, the boy spilled it on himself while eating at Cosmic Rays. The lawyer "thinks" the cheese was 160 degrees but isn't sure. The photo does show blistering above the boys mouth. The lawyer goes on to say, parents have the right at Disney to expect childrens' food to be served at a reasonable temp.
    I work in the food service industry and can tell you the Federal guidelines for food safety to hold food is above 140 degrees or below 40 degrees and most food must be heated to above 165-180 degrees when first cooked so 160 degrees would be reasonable and expected for hot food do to FEDERAL LAW so i guess if you don't like it you should sue the government not Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Nacho cheese is too thick to spill IMHO. They won't see a dime out of Mickey. And rightfully so.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, a lawsuit where I can use science to disprove it! (Disney can send me a check at any time.)

So this poor little fella was allegedly scalded by nacho cheese hovering somewhere around 160 degrees Fahrenheit. So far, this is totally plausible—scalding can occur with liquids or semi-solids at that temperature. We've all spilled hot wax or coffee onto ourselves in the past, right? Scalding can and does happen often.

Scarring, however, is a big claim. Medically speaking, you won't really have scarification unless you have a fairly deep second degree burn, one that progresses well beyond the epidermis and past the papillary dermis. Now unfortunately, here's where I bring up thermodynamics. (Feel free to skip to the next post; this will be boring.)

If nacho cheese is at 160 degrees Fahrenheit, once it goes (presumably) airborne and lands on somebody's skin, it begins to lose heat. It's radiating heat into the air the whole time, and once it's in contact with skin, it begins losing heat a lot faster. Skin, being moisture- and lipid-laden, is a fairly efficient heat sink. Thus, whatever nacho cheese was there to burn the child will begin diffusing that heat wherever it is touching the skin. That skin will, then, transfer heat to surrounding tissue, and on and on, as heat will tend to do.

That is where the parents' story fails to hold water: nacho cheese at 160 degrees Fahrenheit will not constantly pump out 160 degrees Fahrenheit worth of heat over the same spot over time. Instead, its temperature will drop fairly quickly as the heat is conducted through the epidermis and so on. I can't accurately graph the temperature over time (I'm only a pretend doctor/lawyer/physicist), but I can say with certainty that 160 degree nacho cheese won't result in anything beyond a fairly icky first degree or borderline superficial second degree burn: maybe a blister, but no scarring.

The defense rests. And has a drink.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    If the temperature of the nacho cheese goes any lower they'll be able to just slice it. It's not THAT hot at all.
    That made me LOL. Thanks for that.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Ever since I can remember there's a sign that says "CAUTION HOT CHEESE" so yeah, this whole story is just silly IMHO. plus who lets a 4 yr old go play by themselves....
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

The cheese at the fixin's bar at Cosmic Rays is exceptionally HOT. I've experienced it more than once. HOWEVER, it is NOT extremely fluid. I don't see how the kid could have stood in place long enough for scarring damage to occur.

Nothing good will come of this and we'll probably loose the cheese from the fixin's bar again!

How do we know it was Cosmic Rays. The cheese is self serve there but it says Disney served it.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Kelly View Post
    "The cheese was scalding hot and resulted in severe burns" to the child, 4-year-old Isaiah Harris, the suit says. The suit alleges that Disney served the cheese "negligently and carelessly" and made "no effort" to regulate its temperature.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here's the way I see it ...

If, in fact, a Disney server somehow dropped scalding hot cheese on the face of a four year old, resulting in burns to the face and scarring then these folks deserve to be compensated.

Sadly, I suspect that's not the case. First off, as far as I can remember, the nacho cheese at Cosmic Ray's is served ice cold out of a pump dispenser. Secondly, nothing at Disney World is served hot enough to leave scars. Third, there are no servers at Cosmic Ray's, ergo it's impossible that a Disney employee dumped it on him. And perhaps most importantly, if this happens I'm 100% certain that Disney would have a report on it, the parents would have raised a stink, and Disney wouldn't be just finding out about it.

I hate to speculate, but if I had to bet I'd bet the parents burned the kid themselves to try and set up a scam on Disney. Unfair? Maybe, but based on my extensive years observing human behavior that's where I'm placing my money.
    Ice Cold? No... it's hot. Have had it on burgers and fries there plenty of times. Definitely isn't cold.

It's the same thing that has caused all of our coffee to have CAUTON, COFFEE IS HOT on the cups.

The dumbing down of america continues. Take responsibility for your actions and stop blaming it on others.

Amazing.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    How do we know it was Cosmic Rays. The cheese is self serve there but it says Disney served it.
    There is an article from CBS/WKMG which names Cosmic Rays as the culprit and has a photo of the boy.

Honestly, I have looked at the picture a few times and it doesn't add up to me. I hope these parents didn't hurt this child to make a quick buck but something seems amiss here.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post

Isn't that the truth
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Ice Cold? No... it's hot. Have had it on burgers and fries there plenty of times. Definitely isn't cold.
    Huh ... I've only eaten there once in the last three or four years or so and the time I did the cheese was cold. Very cold. In fact, it was hard to get out it was so semi-solid.

Maybe the little dispenser thing was broken.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The boy is 4 years old, so I'd assume he didn't fill the cup. It was a paper cup, so whoever filled it should have been able to tell it was extremely hot. In another article, the boy spilled it when he tried to grab a tray to steady himself. I'm wondering why it looks like in the pictures that he stuck the cup on his face?

It's hard to know what really happened, and Disney will probably end up settling because it will cost less in the long run. You keep hot things away from young kids (sometimes it's best to keep it away from adults, too.) I feel bad for the boy, but it's hard to believe the story at this point.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Here's the way I see it ...

If, in fact, a Disney server somehow dropped scalding hot cheese on the face of a four year old, resulting in burns to the face and scarring then these folks deserve to be compensated.

Sadly, I suspect that's not the case. First off, as far as I can remember, the nacho cheese at Cosmic Ray's is served ice cold out of a pump dispenser. Secondly, nothing at Disney World is served hot enough to leave scars. Third, there are no servers at Cosmic Ray's, ergo it's impossible that a Disney employee dumped it on him. And perhaps most importantly, if this happens I'm 100% certain that Disney would have a report on it, the parents would have raised a stink, and Disney wouldn't be just finding out about it.

I hate to speculate, but if I had to bet I'd bet the parents burned the kid themselves to try and set up a scam on Disney. Unfair? Maybe, but based on my extensive years observing human behavior that's where I'm placing my money.
    Ian, if that is the case, these parents should be arrested and charged with child abuse...

I am going to file a lawsuit agaisnt these parents for being _______________ (fill in your own word here)....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: