Quantcast Parents sue because of Hot nacho cheese

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parents sue because of Hot nacho cheese

Jeff Weiner, Orlando Sentinel

12:05 a.m. EST, February 11, 2011
    E-mail Print Text Size os-disney-lawsuit-child-burned-cheese20110210
    San Diego parents who say their young son suffered "severe burns" at the hands of scalding hot nacho cheese served to them during a family vacation have filed suit against Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, records show.

In their suit, filed in California district court on Wednesday, parents Michael and Maria Harris said they were eating dinner at Disney World while on vacation in March when the cheese was spilled on their son's face.

"The cheese was scalding hot and resulted in severe burns" to the child, 4-year-old Isaiah Harris, the suit says. The suit alleges that Disney served the cheese "negligently and carelessly" and made "no effort" to regulate its temperature.

The suit says the child suffered "permanent scarring, pain and suffering" as a result of the burns, and his parents suffered "emotional distress" from witnessing his agony.

In their suit, the Harris family asks for the medical and legal costs incurred as well as punitive damages and "further relief as this Court deems just and proper."

Asked for comment, a Disney spokeswoman issued the following statement: "It's unfortunate when any child gets injured. We just received notice of the lawsuit and we are currently reviewing it."

Jeff Weiner can be reached at 407-420-5171, or @OSNightCops on Twitter.

Here we go again. The article says the nacho cheese was spilled on his face. Um, parents wake up and take responsibility for your own inactions. How often does one hear of nacho cheese being cold when served?

This is why the prices keep getting hiked all the time. What is next a lawsuit against Disney claiming injuries for blisters and sore feet?
    Last edited by Victor Kelly; 02-11-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Removed a link
    First trip August 1975

Honeymoon trip Sept-Oct 2010

șoș It all started with a Mouse.

Your trip is what you want it to be and it will turn out just how you want it.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow...I agree people are sue happy...

I have a coworker who was staying at a DisneyWorld resort who was curling her hair with a curling iron when there was a power surge. The severe heat burned her hair and a huge chunck of it fell out, luckily she wasn't hurt. She didn't sue, but Disney reimbursed her for her trip, paid for her to come back on another free trip and paid for her to get hair extensions. So, they are pretty good of taking care of things when it is something legitimite.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

The times we live in...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, if the Disney employee had done the spilling... perhaps I could see this. But, it sounds like it was the child/ill supervised that did the spilling. I can't even fathom how someone would sue that their nacho cheese was too hot. In fact I bet it has to be at a hot enough temperature to be food -safe. That is discouraging.
    July 2012 Western Caribbean Cruise on Fantasy!
    2011 Offsite
    2009 Offsite
    2007 POFQ
    2000 Poly
    1996 Offsite
    1992 CBR
    Many childhood trips Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

The one part of this that I would like to see more about is the permanent scarring. Without proof, I don't believe it, but I will say nacho cheese shouldn't be that hot. Again, without proof, I don't believe them, and even with photographic evidence my first though would be, how long was that cheese on his face before you got it off, mom/dad??!

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

IF, the child was burned as badly as stated, I am sure Disney would have filed an accident report. I am also sure they would have photos of the incident. Sounds like someone is trying to use their stupidity to increase their wallet size.

No one would sue Disney because of blisters on their feet!!!

BUT I am thinking of a class action lawsuit against Disney for emotional distress after leaving the park. I suffer depression, fatigue, and either weight loss or gain. Anyone want in on my suit.
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

Post Thanks / Like

According to another article, the boy spilled it on himself while eating at Cosmic Rays. The lawyer "thinks" the cheese was 160 degrees but isn't sure. The photo does show blistering above the boys mouth. The lawyer goes on to say, parents have the right at Disney to expect childrens' food to be served at a reasonable temp.

While I feel sorry for the boy IMHO there comes a point parents have to stop blaming their negligence on everyone else. I don't know about anyone else but when we ate away from home I always checked the temp of food before giving it to my kids.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BraddyB View Post
    IF, the child was burned as badly as stated, I am sure Disney would have filed an accident report. I am also sure they would have photos of the incident. Sounds like someone is trying to use their stupidity to increase their wallet size.

BUT I am thinking of a class action lawsuit against Disney for emotional distress after leaving the park. I suffer depression, fatigue, and either weight loss or gain. Anyone want in on my suit.
    Count me in

Post Thanks / Like

[While I feel sorry for the boy IMHO there comes a point parents have to stop blaming their negligence on everyone else. I don't know about anyone else but when we ate away from home I always checked the temp of food before giving it to my kids.[/QUOTE]

Exactly who gives a 4 year old food without checking it....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I'm going to have to eat at Cosmic Ray's next time! I can't remember the last time I got something HOT HOT HOT at WDW. Usually it's luke warm, not cold enough to complain, but not hot enough to my liking.

Post Thanks / Like

My son burned his chin on a cookie sheet that had just come out of a 450 degree oven.

He does not have permanent scarring...

I don't buy it. The parents should have been more careful about the food they gave to their child.

In addition, as far as I know, "hot cheese sauce" is not, technically, part of any sort of Kid's Meal at Disney. So, it's not like this item was intended for consumption by a 4 year old.

And, isn't the cheese sauce self serve? Doesn't it come in a paper cup? Can't you feel that it's hot when you're holding the cup and dispensing the sauce?

Idiot parents...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a picture of the little boy's face. I can't figure out how the sauce was spilled on his face. Who spilled it? The boy or his parents?
    Didn't they notice the sauce was molten when they dispensed it over the nachos? Or did the boy serve himself? Finally, who gives a 4-year-old child hot food without testing it themselves?

I'm sorry the little guy got burned, but Disney is not the culprit here.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Plaintiffs: Isaiah Harris , Carmen Maria Harris and Michael Jerome Harris, Jr.
    Defendants: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc.

If you do a little search you can find a civil filing against a 'Carmen Harris' recently in San Diego county for unlawful detainer. Basically what happens when a tenant has to be kicked out of an apartment for not paying rent.

Gee, she doesn't sound like the type that would be after money now does she?

Post Thanks / Like

"To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    According to another article, the boy spilled it on himself while eating at Cosmic Rays. The lawyer "thinks" the cheese was 160 degrees but isn't sure. The photo does show blistering above the boys mouth. The lawyer goes on to say, parents have the right at Disney to expect childrens' food to be served at a reasonable temp.

While I feel sorry for the boy IMHO there comes a point parents have to stop blaming their negligence on everyone else. I don't know about anyone else but when we ate away from home I always checked the temp of food before giving it to my kids.
    I agree.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the way I see it ...

If, in fact, a Disney server somehow dropped scalding hot cheese on the face of a four year old, resulting in burns to the face and scarring then these folks deserve to be compensated.

Sadly, I suspect that's not the case. First off, as far as I can remember, the nacho cheese at Cosmic Ray's is served ice cold out of a pump dispenser. Secondly, nothing at Disney World is served hot enough to leave scars. Third, there are no servers at Cosmic Ray's, ergo it's impossible that a Disney employee dumped it on him. And perhaps most importantly, if this happens I'm 100% certain that Disney would have a report on it, the parents would have raised a stink, and Disney wouldn't be just finding out about it.

I hate to speculate, but if I had to bet I'd bet the parents burned the kid themselves to try and set up a scam on Disney. Unfair? Maybe, but based on my extensive years observing human behavior that's where I'm placing my money.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

You have an excellent idea for a lawsuit and I'll join you in it! Class action lawsuit maybe?

I don't know why we never did this before!
    May all the days of your life be filled with Magic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Jill A View Post
    Didn't they notice the sauce was molten when they dispensed it over the nachos?
    "molten"

LOL!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

People are so suit happy these days. This story brings back memories of the illicit.....McDonalds coffee is too hot when the woman proceeded to drive with scolding coffee cup between her legs....now Im not even going to attempt to go there but seriously...

Ok, like everyone else has already pointed out IF the story is true, then yes they should be compensated if the employee accidentally spilled the cheese on the child. But IMHO, its a bull story.

And honestly, why did these things never happen to us as children???????????? My mom and dad would always make sure something was cool enough for me to eat or drink before giving it to me. Especially as a child not being stable enough to handle something that would be hot like adults can. Why didnt the parents, knowing nacho cheese is served hot to a certain extent, make sure it wasnt TOO hot before giving it to him!?!? These stories annoy me when its pretty apparent that some of the responsibility should lay on the parents and the lack of common sense....but again thats IMHO.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16