Quantcast OKW or SSR for Kids?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default OKW or SSR for Kids?

Hi,
    I'm kind of new here and sooo glad I found this board!! There is tons of great information here. We're going to Disney for the first time since I was a teen. It's been 25 years! We have booked a 2 bedroom villa at OKW. However, I think I love the look of SSR! So, I guess the deciding factor will be-is either resort more kid friendly? Specifically, I have a little girl who will be 4 years old when we go. I'm sure she will have a blast either way but just thought I'd get some opinions from the experts here. Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't stayed at either of these resorts, so can't really give you an opinion about which resort, but just thought I would say
    to Intercot!!
    But be very careful, it can be addicting!
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at both, but not a 2br at both. OKW has slightly larger rooms, but we had a studio there. It was fine, but our room was very "dated" at the time. They are however refurbing the rooms. Where they are in that process, I don't really know. Someone else may be able to advise you on that. My biggest problem with OKW was bugs. We left the light on by the door when we left one evening and when we returned, the door was COVERED with bugs. I've never seen that many on a door before. They have a great pool area and the kids enjoyed it, but we found it difficult to find a chair in a position allowing us to watch the boys well.

SSR we have stayed in the studios and 2br. Many don't like it there because it is such a large resort, but we have no problems with the resort itself. There has always been plenty of space for me, DH, and 2 teenage boys. They have a nice pool area that is actually a zero entry pool which is nice. And depending on when you're going, SSR is constructing a new feature pool so that will give them 2 nice pools and a quite pool.

Wherever you stay, enjoy.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

OKW!! It has a lot of day programs at the resort for kids and people of all ages. The pool has a sand tower and a swirling slide inside that you empty into the large pool. There is also a kiddie pool and play area. There is shuffleboard, ping pong, nighttime campfires (with smores) along with indoor activities at the community center throughout the day. There is a new fitness room. But the OKW staff is the best. They are very "disney". Very upbeat and nice and helpful. If you decide OKW, you should definitely request to be near the hospitality center when making your reservations. Good Luck and have a wonderful trip

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at OKW in a 2 bdrm a couple times. We love the layout of the rooms. They are bigger and more comfortable than the 2 bdrm at the other villa's we have stayed in (BC & BW). I believe all the villa's after OKW have the samy layout. As mentioned previously, the staff is great and there are a lot of activities. My then 3 1/2 yr old loved the dance party at night! No matter where you stay enjoy all Disney has to offer.
    2002 Apr - AKL
    2002 Apr - DVC Member
    2003 Nov - DCL Magic
    2005 Feb - BCV
    2005 Aug - Pop Century
    2006 Aug - OKW, POP, BWV (2 weeks)
    2010 Aug - BCV & OKW (2 weeks)
    2011 July - Fort Wilderness Cabin (12 days)
    2012 July - ASMovies (5 days)
    2013 Oct - BCV & AKL (14 days)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Another vote for OKW. My kids just love the main Conch Flats area, where they can swim, play in the sand, spend time at the playground, plus basketball, tennis, shuffle board, ping pong, and the activities at Community Hall. SSR is very nice, but my kids would vote OKW.

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVE Old Key West! We stayed in a 2BR on our last trip and loved it. The rooms were very large with a separate laundry room, not just a laundry closet. the kids has tons of room to spread out. We have four children and it was wonderful. The resort was just amazing PP listed some of the best amenities. The only things I can think of that weren't mentioned was the fabulous boat ride to DTD (although SSR has it too) and the bus service was hands down the best service I have ever had in my entire life at WDW. I've got to be somewhere near the 30+ trip mark and thought this bus service was the best.

P.S. - We never had any trouble with bugs that might have been a fluke.

P.P.S. - to Intercot!!! I think you are going to like it here!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: