Quantcast Finding Nemo saved my computer!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding Nemo saved my computer!

I think this is kind of an interesting story ...

My computer fan was very noisy ... I'd use canned air and blow it out and it would still continue to make lots of grumbly noises. One day a couple of weeks ago I decided to just spray the heck out of it and then I turned it on and it was quiet. Silent actually. Everything seemed fine though at first, then about 10 minutes later it just shut itself off. I turned it back on, same routine, silence, shut off again. Daily I would go through the routine, hoping it would just stay on and be okay, but finally I had come to accept that my computer fan was probably dead and that I was going to have to get a new computer since my warranty had run out.

Then one evening, I watched Finding Nemo. I love that movie.

The next day, a scene in that movie found it's way back into my mind and I wondered ... it was the part where Nemo is in the aquarium and he gets in the filter and they get a rock in there to stop the fan ... I wondered if, when I previously used the canned air, that maybe it blew a clump of dust in a place where it stopped the fan from working? So I took the canned air and blew it in there again and turned on the computer and suddenly I heard the whirring of the fan! My computer is now working again, thanks to Nemo!

I know this is a little lengthy, but I just thought it was awesome that Nemo made me think about that and saved me from buying a new computer!
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What a funny story! Good for you!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad Finding Nemo had a real-life application for you!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

too funny!
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

That's great
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to pipe in, a bad fan is hardly a reason to get a new computer. Pretty much any fan you need is available online (I prefer newegg dot com but any PC parts place would probably do.

Most fans can be had for a couple bucks, especially if you don't need LEDs and such. I always replace fans with others that have ball bearings. They seem to last longer and are less noisy.

Just thought I mention it. Also a good cleaning is always good. Be careful around the power supply. I blew out a power supply once with what I guess was a massive dust bunny that made a connection that shouldn't have ben made.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Disney would love to hear that story! It's a lot better than the other Nemo stories I've heard
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

DizneyRox, I have a laptop and couldn't open it to look at the fan, (I don't have a tiny screwdriver! lol!) but anyway I didn't even know I could replace a fan myself, and cheaply too! Thanks for the info.

However, I did think it was just really cool how watching that movie made me wonder if that could be the issue with my computer.
    9/17 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    4/16 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/14 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    8/10 Polynesian Village Resort
    5/09 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    7/08 Animal Kingdom Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

It just goes to prove that Disney can have life-lessons in their storylines, too!

Funny what sticks in our heads to become helpful . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

That so totally rocks
    1975-2000 Family Trips, FW
    Nov 2005- FW
    June 2006- FW
    Feb 2007- FW
    Dec 2007- POFQ
    Feb 2008- POR
    July 2008- WL
    Dec 2008- FW
    Feb 2012- POFQ
    Herb
    Proud Passholder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akaDisneyDreamer View Post
    DizneyRox, I have a laptop and couldn't open it to look at the fan, (I don't have a tiny screwdriver! lol!) but anyway I didn't even know I could replace a fan myself, and cheaply too! Thanks for the info.

However, I did think it was just really cool how watching that movie made me wonder if that could be the issue with my computer.
    Yes, the tight spaces inside a laptop do make cleaning a problem. Actually, the canned air often doesn't have enough umph to really do a good job on them. I use a compressor most of the time, or good old lung power can be pretty good as well.

And yes, laptop fans sometimes are a pain to find, but google will probably help you locate them. If you're having trouble, chances are others have had problems as well.

I've taken apart a fair number of laptops, I find the directions for disassembly on the net. Some are harder than others, but really, if it's bad enough that you're looking to get a new computer, what's the harm in attempting to fix it yourself. Worst case, you get a new laptop anyway, best case you just saved yourself a few hundred dollars (or more).

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: