Quantcast Healthy Living Club 2011 - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

During 2009 I started losing weight and I was doing really well at it. Even during our trip to the world I lost weight. Then the day before my 30th birthday in April 2010we lost my brother in a coal mining accident. It rocked my world to say the least and 2010 was not my best year, all the weight I lost I gained and it found friends. I'm ready to stop greiving and get back to what's right, I know he wouldn't want me to be sad and hurting myself.

So my short term goal is to lose 25lbs by my 31st b-day (april 24,2011)

My larger goal is to lose 75lbs by our Disney trip in Nov.

My weekly goals are to get 30 mins of cardio in 5 days a week and at least 3 day of strenght training.

PS Thanks for starting the thread again. It helped back in 2009.
    ~Beth~
    1st trip Nov. 24, 2006-ASmovies (4nights)
    Nov. 25, 2007-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Sept. 6, 2008-ASMovies (6 nights)
    Nov. 28, 2009 ASMovies (7nights)
    Nov 28, 2015 AOA (7 nights)
    December 10, 2016 AKL/Pop (7nights)
    Nov. 25, 2017 AsMusic (8 Nights)
    Next Trip March 4 AsSports (4 nights)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

11 pounds lost since Jan 2 and I am now stuck.

Curse you Plateau! Don't get too comfortable, you will not be here for long!!!!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    11 pounds lost since Jan 2 and I am now stuck.

Curse you Plateau! Don't get too comfortable, you will not be here for long!!!!
    Good results and nice attitude, Carrie!

Take a rest week and change your routines around and that cursed plateau will disappear soon.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Recipe

I am making it though the other side of the blizzard, the upshot is I was able to sneak extra work outs in, since school was cancelled.

I thougt I would share a stew I make on the weekends and eat for lunch the rest of the week. It's good for a few veggie servings, too. (It's a Weight Watchers recipe.)

Senegalese Peanut Stew with Spinach and Sweet Potatoes
    Preparation Time: 23 min
    Cooking Time: 48 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

This African stew pairs cayenne with peanut butter to make a comforting winter warmer.

Ingredients
    1 spray(s) Cooking spray
    2 medium Onion(s), uncooked, roughly chopped
    1 medium Pepper, green, cored and roughly chopped
    ½ pound(s) Potato(es), sweet, raw, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
    2 medium Carrots, uncooked, peeled and thinly sliced
    2 clove(s) Garlic, fresh, minced
    2 Tbsp Ginger root, raw, fresh, minced
    ½ tsp Cloves, ground
    ½ tsp Salt, table
    ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
    4 cup(s) Broth, vegetable, reduced-sodium
    6 Tbsp Peanut butter, natural, creamy-variety
    8 cup(s) Spinach, uncooked, leaves, stemmed, packed, chopped

Instructions
    1. Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
    2. Stir in the sweet potato, carrots and garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the ginger, cloves, salt and cayenne; cook for 30 seconds.
    3. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the peanut butter until smooth.
    4. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer slowly, stirring once in a while, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
    5. Add the spinach; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Yields about 1 2/3 cups per serving.
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

The diet is still going well, now if I can just make it through Super Bowl parties. Grazing and appetizers are a weakness. I'm bringing a big veggies tray, with spicy hummus and black bean "hummus" and plan to stand next to that tray at the party. Also, I will drink alot of water before going and try to resist the beer.
    Keeping fingers crossed that my willpower holds out.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Default exercixe 6 days a week

My get healthy plan for 2011 is to exercise 6 days a week and eat less carbs. Also I'd like to run a 1/2 marathon by this time next year. SO far I'm sticking with it very well. My husband and I've been "talking" aout working out since we got married. That was 10 years ago. So I decided I'll accomplish this myself. I'm 5'8 and weigh 140lbs so only want to lose 10 lbs but more importantly want to chase the kids w/o running out of breath. Unfortunatly the only thing that's shrunk so far is my chest area and being pear shaped that was NOT my goal. Oh well!LOL
    We can't wait to come back to WDW!!!;}

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I've been feeling very frustrated and defeated as of late. I didn't want to make yet another 'resolution' this year with regards to loosing weight, as I've done that to myself before and given up before I even started . . .
    But I also can't keep living like this. I'm reading all of your posts for help and inspiration, but still feel very isolated and alone on my goals, as I have A LOT of weight to loose. I could win the Biggest Loser if given the chance, as I could stand to loose 40-50% of my body weight and still be within a healthy range for my height and age.
    What I find most frustrating is that I consider myself to be a pretty intelligent person. I know what to do, how to eat, etc., but I just don't seem to have it in me to stick with it. Call it lack of motivation, initiative, laziness, lack of self control . . . I have no idea how to change my mind set. Perhaps because my journey seems so insurmountable?
    I would most definitely appreciate the support and guidance to get started . . . and stick with a new way of living. What's your number one tip for staying motivated?
    Thanks and good luck to everyone else, your drive and goals really do inspire me.
    Sarah
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are,when you wish upon a star your dreams, come TRUE"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get discouraged, you can make it happen! Everyone is motivated by something different, you just need to find what can do it for you.

You might consider getting involved with a walking group or exercise group that meets everyday at a set time. It's easy to hit that snooze at 5:30 rather than getting up to go for a walk by yourself, but if you're meeting a group at 6 to go walking there's a sense of not wanting to let those people down. Of course you have to make sure that everyone in the group has the same mindset, if half the group doesn't show from one day to the next and no one else holds them accountable then it's doomed to fail. Get each others cell phone numbers and if someone isn't there, call them until they answer and get their behinds over to the group.

You also might start with goals like walk 30 minutes a day for 5 days straight, rather than setting specific weight goals at first. Often when people don't see those weight results in the first few weeks they give up. Get a calender and color in each day you exercise, that can be another little trick to get yourself motivated by making sure each box for the week is checked off.

Get family involved, go out for walks after dinner rather than watching TV or surfing the internet.

And finally, this may serve to scare it into some people, but if it works it achieves the same end result. There are virtually no obese people beyond the age of 65 (if even that). Think about all the 70, 80, 90 and 90 plus year old people you know, and while some might be 40-50 lbs overweight you never see a 300-400+ lb man or 250+ lb woman that age. You see lifelong smokers who live that long, some drinkers who live that long, but no obese people. Continuing to live at that size virtually guarantees an early death and it's not likely to be a quiet passing while asleep. I want to see what the world is like 30 years from now and 60 years from now. I want to be around all that time for my family and see how they're doing. That's a good reason right there to get the weight issue in check.

You can make it a success story!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Stuff...

Hey Sarah! (waving)

Trust me I really understand where you are coming from. I don't have as much to lose but if you had ever told me I would need to lose 50-60 lbs in my life I would have told you you were crazy. I used to be a stick...

I too am having a hard time "sticking with it" I get very motivated for a day or two then have a bad day, fall off the wagon and sort of give up for a week before getting motivated again. Nothing worse that going to Weight Watchers 3 weeks in a row and gaining weight-trust me, I feel like a failure!! I totally get what you are saying though, I know exactly what I need to do to lose the weight, it just seems I can't stay with doing it. It's sort of sad but, I like my life the way it is, except being heavy--I love cooking, eating out with friends, partying etc. I really do. Sometimes I have this to heck with it attitude but really that's not going to help me in the long run.

I think the trick is to try try try to surround yourself with distractions. I'm trying to work on some crafts and cross stitch in the evenings to keep that glass (or bottle) of wine out of my hands. I'm also really trying to eat breakfast each day (maybe something with some protien) to keep me full all day and I'm trying to make my lunches ahead on the weekends so I can just heat something up, or throw dressing on a salad when lunchtime comes. Do you have a place to walk indoors until it gets warm? I'm trying to walk about 30-40 mins most days...

Hang in there, don't give up. I think you have to tell yourself it's time to change your life, not just make a resolution. Which is easier said than done...
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah.

You CAN do this!

It is all up to you. You must want the change. We are all here to help you and will give you all the encouragement we can.

Have you considered a group like Weight Watchers? The interaction may be what you need to keep you on the straight and narrow.

You must find something that urges you on. For me, it was realising that the young bucks at work could work circles around me. I didn't like that - even when I told myself I could work smarter than them, 'cuz I'd been around a lot longer.

I hate the word DIET. All a diet is, is DIE with Tea! Diets are temporary and quite often lead to weight gain after you stop the diet. Consider a nutrition plan that works for you. Remember you will be on this plan for a long, Long, LONG time - like the rest of your life. When I started the nutrition plan I picked, I originally thought I would be hungry all the time. After two or three days I thought, "How am I going to eat all this food today?" If you have to, see a nutritionist for help.

For you, four to six smaller meals are better than three standard meals a day. I don't know what your pantry looks like, but a good rule of thumb is, if it's made by man, don't eat it! Get rid of all the noodle bowls, Kraft Dinner, Hamburger Helper or anything like that. No more McDonald's three or four times a week. I don't know if this applies to you or not. Forgive me if it doesn't.

You CAN do this! I want to see you at WDW running a marathon when you are 80! Not that I will be, but someone has to!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    Don't get discouraged, you can make it happen!
    You might consider getting involved with a walking group or exercise group that meets everyday at a set time.
    Thanks for the encouragement! I have tried getting friends to commit to working out with me in the past and I am always the one getting ditched. It's been very frustrating, and unfortunately ends up only adding to my list of excuses.
    In the same light, I did work with a personal trainer for awhile, which really helped. With the workouts but also the accountability. Unfortunately, I am only working part time right now, so that's not in the budget.
    You also might start with goals like walk 30 minutes a day for 5 days straight, rather than setting specific weight goals at first.
    I actually really like this idea, thank you. I am going to post a calendar and get started on my goal of walking 5 days a week, 30-45min a day.
    And finally, this may serve to scare it into some people, but if it works it achieves the same end result. There are virtually no obese people beyond the age of 65 (if even that).
    Yes that does frighten me . . . and gives me lots to think about.
    You can make it a success story!
    Thanks for your support. This is really helpful
    Sarah
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are,when you wish upon a star your dreams, come TRUE"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanetMegan View Post
    Hey Sarah! (waving)
    I too am having a hard time "sticking with it" I get very motivated for a day or two then have a bad day, fall off the wagon and sort of give up for a week before getting motivated again.

It's sort of sad but, I like my life the way it is, except being heavy--I love cooking, eating out with friends, partying etc. I really do. Sometimes I have this to heck with it attitude but really that's not going to help me in the long run.
    This sounds like me to a tee!! For some reason I haven't adopted the 'tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it' attitude. I can only start my healthy new habits on a Monday And to add to my frustration, I too like my life. We don't eat fastfood a lot, but we do eat 'out' a lot. My husband is quite a foodie . . . a fit, slim, healthy foodie, but a foodie none the less. And all of our social time revolves around food. That makes this challenging.
    I think the trick is to try try try to surround yourself with distractions. I'm trying to work on some crafts and cross stitch in the evenings to keep that glass (or bottle) of wine out of my hands.
    This really hits home too. I find that right now all I do with my spare time is sit in front of the television. It's embarassing how many shows I watch in a week . . . especially with the DVR!! I find myself snacking when I'm bored. Truth be told I'm a huge crafter. Love scrapbooking, baking (okay so maybe that's not a great one), quilting, knitting, etc. I really need to get a project started to keep me busy.
    I'm also really trying to eat breakfast each day (maybe something with some protien) to keep me full all day and I'm trying to make my lunches ahead on the weekends so I can just heat something up, or throw dressing on a salad when lunchtime comes
    . Breakfast is hard for me too. When I'm organized and focuses with good healthy food choices readily available I do much better. I think one of my goals will be to set up a weekly menu with DH before we hit the grocery store and stock the house with all the right things. And then spend some time getting those things ready Sunday night before the busyness of the week begins!
    Do you have a place to walk indoors until it gets warm? I'm trying to walk about 30-40 mins most days...
    We do have a treadmill . . . thus the recent -25C temps we've been having shouldn't be an excuse
    Hang in there, don't give up. I think you have to tell yourself it's time to change your life, not just make a resolution. Which is easier said than done...
    Again, thank you for the encouragement. I'm already starting to feel more positive.

I should mention here too that the month of January wasn't a total write off. I am down 7lbs which I'm proud of. But as I mentioned before, when the long term goal is so large, it's hard to celebrate the small victories!
    Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    Sarah.
    You CAN do this!
    It is all up to you. You must want the change. We are all here to help you and will give you all the encouragement we can.
    That's why I'm here. I do want the change! And to get the support from all of you . . . my fellow Disney Devotees . . . well it means a lot!
    Have you considered a group like Weight Watchers? The interaction may be what you need to keep you on the straight and narrow.
    I have joined a weight loss centre and was successful. Before I had my 2 daughters I lost a considerable amount of weight with their help. Unfortunately it was expensive, and right now, working part time I can't afford it. I have kept all the tools and meal plan ideas, and will be bringing them out and dusting them off . . .
    If you have to, see a nutritionist for help.
    This was something I was just recently considering. We have some coverage through work and would be great to have the additional advice.
    For you, four to six smaller meals are better than three standard meals a day. I don't know what your pantry looks like, but a good rule of thumb is, if it's made by man, don't eat it! Get rid of all the noodle bowls, Kraft Dinner, Hamburger Helper or anything like that. No more McDonald's three or four times a week. I don't know if this applies to you or not. Forgive me if it doesn't.
    I agree with the smaller meals advice, however with my schedule, it's hard to make the time to eat that often. I'm a special education teacher and with that job I rarely get a break through my work day. So I end up eating breakfast (okay so maybe not as consistenlty as I should), a snack around 1pm and then in the car (another bad habit I wish to break) on the way home at 3:30, dinner at 6 and then snacking in the evening I actually love healthy food, good food. My DH is a wonderful cook (I am not), and always cooks healthy meals for us, from scratch, we don't eat a lot of processed foods. Unfortunately, with our hectic schedules (DD dances 4 nights a week), and my non existent cooking skills . .. . If DH is late coming home, we end up eating out because we're rushed. We don't go the fast food route, but I'm sure the calorie count is much higher than preparing the food at home. So it comes down to being prepared and organized . . . and me gaining some confidence in the kitchen.
    [QUOTE]You CAN do this! I want to see you at WDW running a marathon when you are 80!/QUOTE] Thanks Gary! It helps a lot. And I don't know that I'll be running a marathon when I'm 80, but I would love to run a half marathon before my 36th birthday I'll be turning 35 this June . . . so that gives me 17months

Thank you to everyone for the motivation and encouragement! I'll keep you posted as to my progress and life changes.
    Sarah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BelleKP View Post
    I should mention here too that the month of January wasn't a total write off. I am down 7lbs which I'm proud of. But as I mentioned before, when the long term goal is so large, it's hard to celebrate the small victories!
    Absolutely, you should celebrate small victories!! First, you LOST 7 lbs, you didn't GAIN it!! That's a victory. Also, think about the fact that you didn't gain 40 lbs. overnight, it took you a while to add those pounds, therefore, it should take you a while to remove them.

You may not have breaks during the day, but you can keep with you snacks that you do have time to eat - a 100 calorie pack of almonds (or it's cheaper - buy a larger container of almonds and put one serving size into a ziploc bag), a protein bar, a can of V8 juice, a pre-cut apple or carrots. Very easy and quick. Also, eating in the car is not a bad thing, if you have prepared "safe" snacks at your disposal. And, remember to drink, drink, drink WATER all day long.

Also, I have found that a protein breakfast instead of carb breakfast helps me feel fuller and not starving by mid-morning. Once again, boil an egg ahead of time, I also cook egg beaters in the microwave, pre-cooked frozen turkey sausage links are easy and microwable.

I try to cook healthy meals for my family and just adjust to smaller serving sizes for me. Also, we eat out several times a week - it's just part of busy life these days - try to make as healthy a choice as possible - grilled chicken, avoid things with heavy sauces, substitute a sweet potato or rice pilaf or grilled veggies (problem with grilled veggies is they add butter in cooking) for the side. If it's a large serving, ask for a to go plate as the food is served and put half of it in the container, this removes temptation.

A difficult issue for me is that when we are eating out or I am cooking for my family, I want to eat. But, it's better for me to have my biggest meal midday, with light snacks then eat very light in the evening. When my husband is traveling, that is easier for me to accomplish because my children also do not mind a lighter dinner. However, when my husband is home, he wants a REAL dinner, so I just try to make good choices and control portions.

The biggest challenge with dieting is that it requires you to be very aware and think about food and eating ALL THE TIME - it almost becomes an obsession. And, it gets old quickly. However, I'm determined to stick to this ... I've been dieting right at one month and it is going well so far, seeing results and I haven't yet started exercising. Can't wait for the weather to warm up - Next week is looking good!

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Kickin' it on the elliptical.

Went a total of 3.3 miles! I did 32 min at the beginning of my workout and then 10 min at the end. - It wasn't all in one stretch, but still very happy with the work.

It was awesome!
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cer View Post
    Kickin' it on the elliptical.

Went a total of 3.3 miles! I did 32 min at the beginning of my workout and then 10 min at the end. - It wasn't all in one stretch, but still very happy with the work.

It was awesome!
    I remember when I first began the elliptical. I did 15min and thought, "Surely I'll never be able to do more than this!" But I worked up to 45 minutes before I began doing other things. It's an amazing feeling when you progress. Congratulations!
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Couple Things

Just a couple more things-I have found egg beaters in the morning cooked in the microwave with a handful of those new turkey sausage crumbles (precooked) thrown in, only takes like 1 1/2 mins and while I'm not a huge egg person, it really keeps me full all day. Takes almost no time.

I've also started prepping lettuces and healthy homemade dressings for lunches on Sundays!
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Janet:

Egg beaters are great! All whites, no yolks. Lots of protein, very little fat and so versatile.

I have been using them for omelets for a couple of years now, and like you said they are very filling. Each small container contains six egg yolks.

Try adding some peppers, onions, mushrooms, even spinach and cheese for new flavours.

Post Thanks / Like

I got me some new Asics running shoes yesterday (bought through Zappos VIP online and received free overnight shipping!). I'm excited to test them out and see if they help guard against shin splints.

Also, I'm in week 12 of P90X! Woohoo! I can hardly believe next week is my final (recovery) week of this round. I'm going to modify the program next go round to add some more variety.

Quote Originally Posted by garymacd View Post
    Janet:

Egg beaters are great! All whites, no yolks. Lots of protein, very little fat and so versatile.

I have been using them for omelets for a couple of years now, and like you said they are very filling. Each small container contains six egg yolks.

Try adding some peppers, onions, mushrooms, even spinach and cheese for new flavours.
    In my area we have an additional product called Eggsters. They have a western omelet variety. At first I thought it would be gross with that stuff floating around in the egg whites and being shelved, but they taste really great.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Also, I'm in week 12 of P90X! Woohoo! I can hardly believe next week is my final (recovery) week of this round. I'm going to modify the program next go round to add some more variety.
    Week 12! Good for you! How do you feel? Have you seen some really big changes?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: