Quantcast American Idol - Season 10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile American Idol - Season 10

So did anyone watch last night?

I have to say, I went in with very low expectations for a judge panel with no Simon but I was pleasantly surprised! In fact, I actually think I like this new panel more than the old one! It's nice ... all the old tensions and bickering are gone, the judges aren't trying to be the focus like they were before, and they just keep it about the singing (as it should be).7

Plus, I thought Steven Tyler was a riot, man! He had me openly cracking up a bunch of times. Best line of the night? "Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?"

I thought there was some good talent, too. It's become patently evident, though, that whereas they used to set you up with these contestants who were train wrecks and couldn't sing, their new M.O. is to show train wrecks who can sing. DW and I a bunch of times last night were like, "Oh, this isn't going to be good!" only to have them come out and have a really great voice. We stopped falling for it after like the third time.

So what did everyone else think?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved it! Haven't watched AI in a number of seasons because I was tired of the judging dynamics.

Tuned in to see Steven Tyler (as I just love him ) and was surprised at how much I liked Jennifer Lopez in this role as well. They all make a great team and at least so far are not trying to outdue one another for the judging spot light.

I will be tuning in to see more.
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I also liked it more than I thought I would. It was a little tame for my taste. I look forward to the judges developing some chemistry and getting a little more loosened up, but I did like that the atmosphere was pleasant and there were some surprises with the singers presented. I'll stick around a bit and see how it shapes up.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Tuned in to check it out as I really hadn't watched for a few years. I was curious as how Steven Tyler would handle it. I really enjoyed the show and his comments. My DH, who never would watch before, actually sat and watched the whole show with me! I did feel a little sorry for Jennifer Lopez as she was struggling on how to gently turn contestants down. Overall, I think the change of judges is an improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm a happy woman, this was so much better than what we've been put through in the past 3 seasons. I have never been a Jennifer Lopez fan but if she continues to handle herself as well as she did last night, I just might become one. Randy sure did cut back on all his "dog" nonsence and therefore came across as much more intelligent. I have always loved Aerosmith and seeing Steven Tyler on talk shows, last night was an eyeopener for me as I didn't realize how flat out funny he can be. At one point my DH and I burst out laughing so loud that Frank The Cat shot up from his nap, gave us stink eye and huffily left the room.
    Best part of the show was the absence of the meanness from the judges, I sure am hopeing it dosen't creep back in.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    Randy sure did cut back on all his "dog" nonsence and therefore came across as much more intelligent.
    Yeah, I picked up on that, too. It was almost like he's adopted the role of the "elder statesment" of the group and, since he's no longer in Simon's shadow, he can be more serious and not have to adopt the whole "dawg" persona to get noticed.

I actually thought he contributed a lot more last night than he used to.
    Last edited by Ian; 01-20-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I watched last night also and really enjoyed it! I didn't know what to expect with the new judges but, like most others, I was pleasantly surprised! Steven Tyler was really funny and I liked how he interacted with the contestants, sometimes singing along with them and/or drumming on the table while they sang. I expected Jennifer Lopez to come off more as a diva, but was glad to see that she was so nice to the contestants (maybe a little too nice sometimes ). I thought before that AI just wasn't going to be the same without Simon, and I think I was right - it's actually better (so far)!
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Plus, I thought Steven Tyler was a riot, man! He had me openly cracking up a bunch of times. Best line of the night? "Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?"

I loved watching his expressions and his comments. I think he adds a great element to the show.

It was also hilarious to watch Jennifer Lopez try and say no at first.

It was fun to watch for how long it would take her to get over having a hard time saying no. lol

Over all, it is better than I expected it might be.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

Eh...I have mixed feelings. I used to love watching these audition shows to see the train wrecks. However, it seems like they are just sending a bunch of people to Hollywood that really are NOT that good at all. I couldn't believe some of the awful singers they gave tickets to! Holy moly...makes me think this is going to be a painfully bad season to watch. I think I was impressed, vocally, by about one person last night.

As for the judges, I loved Simon. He was the only one who had enough nerve to say it like it is. Too many people float by on the "you can do whatever you put your mind to" mentality, and really, in a business like this, that's just not true. I hope one of these judges soon starts being a bit more honest. I'm all for fun and I think the new judges are entertaining, sure, but they are there to judge people, not make themselves or the performers feel better by just saying "yes" to everyone.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Eh...I have mixed feelings. I used to love watching these audition shows to see the train wrecks. However, it seems like they are just sending a bunch of people to Hollywood that really are NOT that good at all. I couldn't believe some of the awful singers they gave tickets to! Holy moly...makes me think this is going to be a painfully bad season to watch. I think I was impressed, vocally, by about one person last night.

As for the judges, I loved Simon. He was the only one who had enough nerve to say it like it is. Too many people float by on the "you can do whatever you put your mind to" mentality, and really, in a business like this, that's just not true. I hope one of these judges soon starts being a bit more honest. I'm all for fun and I think the new judges are entertaining, sure, but they are there to judge people, not make themselves or the performers feel better by just saying "yes" to everyone.
    I feel much like you do Natalie. I watched mainly out of curiousity and nothing else on TV, but I think that curiosity has been satisfied. When it comes down to it, it's still the same format, and I tired of it a few seasons back. Kris who? Lee who?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I feel much like you do Natalie. I watched mainly out of curiousity and nothing else on TV, but I think that curiosity has been satisfied. When it comes down to it, it's still the same format, and I tired of it a few seasons back. Kris who? Lee who?
    I actually agree with you and that's one of the main reasons why I was pleasantly surprised by last night's episode. It gave me something else to watch! Tyler really kept cracking me up in a way none of the judges ever did before.

Were it just the same four old judges from last year, I honestly doubt I would have watched again this season. I'm kind of "over" the concept, but might watch just to see what Tyler says every night.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of "over" the concept, but might watch just to see what Tyler says every night.
    And overall, I enjoyed him as well, but a few times he did get kind of inappropriate. But of course, he has to live up to the rocker image. And towards the beginning I cringed a bit when he'd sing along with that really high voice. Eeek!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually agree with you and that's one of the main reasons why I was pleasantly surprised by last night's episode. It gave me something else to watch! Tyler really kept cracking me up in a way none of the judges ever did before.

Were it just the same four old judges from last year, I honestly doubt I would have watched again this season. I'm kind of "over" the concept, but might watch just to see what Tyler says every night.
    DVR! can watch the show in half the time
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I was too happy with last nights episode. I think they said yes to some very horrendous singers....
    I am hoping that it turns around tonight as I did hear Steven Tyler say the first couple of rounds he was a softie and then he learned to get tough.
    So I'm hoping they start actually judging and not just letting people in with 2nd chances.
    I think if they had filmed Simon watching the show at home and seeing his reaction to it would have been fabulous tv. I was seriously shocked by the yes's to people that I wouldn't even want to hear on the street.
    I guess I'm in the minority on this one...but I am hoping that tonight turns around a little.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And overall, I enjoyed him as well, but a few times he did get kind of inappropriate. But of course, he has to live up to the rocker image. And towards the beginning I cringed a bit when he'd sing along with that really high voice. Eeek!
    Yeah, that segment with him doing the over the pretty girls was a bit tacky, but he's a rock star so I kind of game him a pass.

Agree on the singing, too ... I'm of the belief that rockers should hang it up once they get past the age of 60.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Steven Tyler was cool

Jennifer Lopez is GEORGEOUS!

I quit watching after all the goofballs are gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol--I'm really in the minority here!! I wasn't especially enamored of the old group of judges (last year in particular) and like many of you, tuned in out of curiosity. After the big build-up about the new judges panel (talk about drama!) I could only make it through the first 20 minutes and had to turn it off. My thoughts:

Love Aerosmith, but can't stand Steven Tyler in this role (sorry to his fans). His excessive mugging and over-the-top screeches made me cringe. Jennifer Lopez was okay, if kind-of wishy-washy (and not in a Paula Abdul crazy kind of way) and Randy's persona has not been re-invigorated enough by the addition of Stephen and J. Lo to make a difference. Maybe if I had continued watching I might have changed my mind a bit, but I just don't care enough to try that hard, if you know what I mean.

The true American Idol era ended a couple of seasons ago, IMO, even though I have been trying to maintain some interest. But I think I'm done now. I do wish you all an interesting and scintillating discussion thread though.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I've really only watched the Taylor Hicks season. I have a very difficult time watching a show that generally has about 15 minutes of real content but is stretched over 2 hours.

My DW will usually record it on the dvr. Once they get past the audition stage I might watch some of it. I usually can watch an hour show in about 15 minutes or less by fast forwarding past anything that has Ryan and most of the judges useless comments. I'm not sure I've ever heard Randy say anything more than "dude, it was a little pitchy".

Last couple of seasons I've found the finalists to be rather bland and boring (not Glambert obviously) but as a whole rather uninteresting to want to commit that much time to watching it. Prefered it much more when the elimination night was only a 1/2 hour, even then most of it was just filler.

As you can tell, I'm not one of AI biggest fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Lol--I'm really in the minority here!!
    Nope, I pretty much agree with everything you said Beth.

So you noticed Steven Tyler's screeches too?

Post Thanks / Like

I barely watched the audition rounds the past few seasons because I was so bored by them. I do agree that some not-so-special people were put through, but so far I'm digging the new arrangement. I'm loving Steven Tyler personally, I think his reactions to things keeps it entertaining for me. Did anyone notice in the intro the first night when they were talking about why they accepted the job and what they were looking forward to, J-Lo seemed to have some kind of contacts in that made her eyes extra sparkly/dewey/ whatever you want to call it... just seemed a bit strange.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: