Quantcast The Future of Imagination and Universe of Energy - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I suspect they don't think the shelf life of these shows is such that it's worth making a big investment in them in terms of a real theme park attraction.
    I see that side of the argument...most DC shows don't last long, making any attractions about them obsolete quickly.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It almost seems as if Disney is "satisfied" with a classic product line... kinda like oh, lets see... Quaker oats is "satisfied" with selling oatmeal?? It has worked for so long with our grandparents and their parents, but is it going to have the appeal to us and our kids?? I for one am hoping immagineering has not "left the building" on these places as they seem to have soo much potential for future visitors!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good points, probably wouldnt work, too bad... Phineas and Ferb crack me up. And the whole theme of the show is imagination. DC shows do seem to have a short shelf life.

Post Thanks / Like

I could see a re-imagining of Imagination, keeping Figment and bringing back Dreamfinder (which they're doing pretty aggressively in merchandise, so it keeps making me wonder if they have something on the drawing board), and an overhaul of the post-ride space using Phineas and Ferb. THAT would be COOL. And would meet your low-risk requirement. I agree it needs a sponsor, and that Apple is the obvious choice, and that the HP snag is a problem. I wonder if you could look at somebody like Crayola? They've been pushing "imagination" in their marketing lately....

I also totally agree that one of the embattled oil companies ought to jump in on UoE. Such an obvious thing, and it's not like they don't have the money, no matter how much they whine about it. Record profits, guys -- it's all there in the paperwork. 'Fess up and do something useful with it.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem with an Apple sponsorship is that if you hold on to the hand rails incorrectly the ride shuts down
    Last edited by ERJDriver; 01-18-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: grammer

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy2315 View Post
    I see that side of the argument...most DC shows don't last long, making any attractions about them obsolete quickly.
    Well but the question is why don't they last very long?

Most of the shows that my kids were fans of they still love ... Disney just cancelled them. And based on everything I hear, most other families loved them, as well.

Personally I think that when the shows get so popular that the creators actually want to be (GASP!) fairly compensated for their work, Disney bails on them and moves on to the next thing.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

In another posted I had suggested 2 ideas

1) Something based on Epic Mickey, or the idea of an amazing Imagination adventure with Mickey (or it could be Figment) in which you must make it through using your imagination, senses, and a magic paintbrush. Could be alot of fun and maybe an open ended attraction like Indiana Jones where each experience is different based on what the car decides should happen, hence using your imagination!

2) Develop Figment as a true Character. stop trying to shove Duffy down my throat and devout a feature film to Figment. Then base the attraction around Figments adventures with the Dreamfinder
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I like the framework of an Imagination Institute as far as advancing a plot and establishing a cohesive theme throughout the pavilion. Think Muppet Labs but... Epcot-ier. If Disney really decides to sell the idea of the Imagination Institute, there's no reason it can't include Figment and Dreamfinder in prominent roles. All that'd take is some... well, you know.

Recently, I was thinking about Captain EO, and how it brought a pop icon like Michael Jackson together with the (then-still remaining) prestige and artistic credibility of George Lucas. This got me thinking: what if Disney were to try injecting such visionary outsiders into the ride presentation? I like Eric Idle as a comedian, but such a concept has me thinking of an entirely different Monty Python alumnus: Terry Gilliam. You want to talk about imagination... and if you've ever seen anything about how he concocts his films, he's more of an Imagineer than any other director I've ever seen. But hey, who am I?

Post Thanks / Like

It does seem odd that the "Imagination" pavilion is the least imaginative of all!

I think one "retro" pavilion would be nice - and why not Imagination? Epcot (EPCOT Center) has been around for 30 years now. Those of us that loved the cheesy songs and rides of the 80s are now bringing our kids to Epcot. Honestly, I would wait in line for the old World of Motion, Horizons, and would LOVE to hear Listen to the Land on more time.

Why not change Imagination back to the original design. Heck, even put the cast members back to the orgininal costumes. (My sister-in-law worked at the land in the late 80s. I guess the joke was that EPCOT stood for Eccentric Polyester Costumes of Torture. )

Disney should then advertise the pavilian as such - a trip back to the 1980s. Almost like a living museum and tribute to the orginial EPCOT Center.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

I do think that simply re-doing the original JII is possible. As some posters rightly pointed out, the track is destroyed, and ride space is taken up, but surely blueprints exist, right? Disney saves everything!

Moreover, nostalgia sells- just look at Captain EO; you have a whole generation of parents taking their kids, and seeing a long-forgotten attraction that brings up good memories: JII serves this kind of function as well. It is easy to forget that at the time of its closing, it was still the second most-ridden ride in Epcot, after Spaceship Earth.

Nevertheless, it does pose a problem, doesn't it: shouldn't imagination be focusing on the new?
    "One wrong move, and I could easily be squashed into a tangy pesto sauce."

1988, 1990, 2008- Contemporary
    1993, 1999, 2005- Beach Club
    1996- Polynesian
    2009- Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I'm saying right off the bat, I don't remember a single thing from the original ride, partly because I was only nine when the ride first closed. I'm going off of videos and info from people alot smarter than me on JII

The ride was complex back in the early 80's, think of it like how Test Track was when they built it and it opened 2-3 years behind schedule because it had (and still has) complexity issues. Rotating the cars around during the different sets, keeping them in trains and then again omnimover style, and getting them to sync with the unload belt among other things. The main issue was keeping the ride timed with the rotating set and it was a very hard thing to do. So much so that Kodak wanted a brand new ride...

Like Ian said in a previous post, some of the ride track is in fact buried underneath the floor. The rotating set in the old ride is partly intact but is most likely beyond repair. The queue now goes right through the old rotating set. I think you used to be able to see part of the old ride track (or the track floor? I remember it was something weird) in the post show where they covered over a few years back until they had a refurb and blended it in.

If they REALLY wanted to go back to the old ride, they could. However it would take alot of work. Like Rusty said awhile back, the post show that is there now covers about half of the entire old track. They'd also have to put the Imageworks back upstairs and that was a guest traffic nightmare (The Land). With what they have done in the last decade and new ride technology, they could do something similar to the rotating set, but again it would be a tough thing to sync the cars and the set all of the time. So they COULD do it, but will they? I doubt it.

I'll say one thing, just watching the '99 version of the ride for the first time in awhile, thank goodness they decided to re-do the ride again. I haven't seen anything that bad in a long time...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopeCharming View Post
    I do think that simply re-doing the original JII is possible. As some posters rightly pointed out, the track is destroyed, and ride space is taken up, but surely blueprints exist, right? Disney saves everything!

Moreover, nostalgia sells- just look at Captain EO; you have a whole generation of parents taking their kids, and seeing a long-forgotten attraction that brings up good memories: JII serves this kind of function as well. It is easy to forget that at the time of its closing, it was still the second most-ridden ride in Epcot, after Spaceship Earth.
    I think the biggest hurdle in your plan is the lack of a sponsor. Despite the improving economy, I don't think that anyone will step up to support either a sponsorship and/or the massive amount of money for a massive refurb either at JII or UoE.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    2) Without a major sponsor, do not look for WDW to invest.
    If they are looking for extra cash, why not set up a coin jar for donations? lol...

I am not suggesting we should have to pay to keep rides open but why not something fun like a penny drop. I only thought of this when going home one day with my pockets full of change.

But if you figure every park guest drops one penny into this eventually you would have a decent ammt. Maybe park it into innoventions with a neat little "ride" for the coins to go through and guests to watch.

OK, while a neat idea this is a stretch and sets a dangerous precident for asking guests to foot some of the bill when already paying high ammts to enter and stay at WDW.

Just my . Sorry for the pun, maybe.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    It's strange ... for the most part, Disney seems fairly reluctant to commit any serious money to building attractions around the Disney Channel shows.
    You'd think that - then they go and start the Kim Possible Epcot thing, AFTER the show has stopped producing new episodes.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    You'd think that - then they go and start the Kim Possible Epcot thing, AFTER the show has stopped producing new episodes.
    Ha yeah good point ... similar, although obviously not Disney Channel related, is their decision to start an American Idol show at the Studios about 2 years after its peak popularity.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    OK, while a neat idea this is a stretch and sets a dangerous precident for asking guests to foot some of the bill when already paying high ammts to enter and stay at WDW.
    You just described DVC. Not quite a stretch!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinnerf View Post
    Was driving home from work and listening to the Intercot podcast in the car...... and it was suggested that Phineas and Ferb would be a great anchor for a new Imagination ride. I couldnt agree more, they would be perfect, if only I had the money to sponsor it....
    Add my vote! I think Phineas & Ferb would be great to build the Imagination pavilion around.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

I am a three time cast member and a many years AP holder and here's my opinion.

I don't care what it costs. I don't care how much trouble it is. I don't care how far you have to dig to find the things you need to do it. We need to have rides that are worth riding. Like the old imagination. We need rides that inspire and at Epcot we need rides that make us think. We don't need more animated characters. We have 3 other parks for that.

You keep raising my ticket prices and I keep paying them in the hopes that a little more money will put things right again.

I was pregnant with both of my children while I worked there so they have grown up in the parks. I started going myself the month MK opened. I miss some of the magic and my children (who are now grown) also comment on the missing magic. They would be totally devastated if they knew the place from when I was a child and had the full sense of what has been lost.

Of course, I won't stop going because I am ridiculously optomistic and I still have so many memories that sort of overlay what isn't really there. But really, where is Disney's pride? They really should be ashamed!
    Every Sunday since 2003
    Rain or Shine
    Cold or Hot
    Once in a hurricane!
    Also, 2 time cast member.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    You just described DVC. Not quite a stretch!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWitch View Post
    But really, where is Disney's pride? They really should be ashamed!
    Good question. I think there are people who really want to achieve the impossible, but I think what happens is the finance guys aren't on the same page. The imagineers have blue sky sessions and dream up great ideas and by the time vps, presidents, and number crunchers get through it, the great ideas are dead
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: