Quantcast magical moments for a special needs child

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default magical moments for a special needs child

I have a non aparent special needs child with many medical issues among which are Severe ADHD, autism, and a brain tumor. We travel to WDW every year and this last year had some increadable cast members that went out of their way for my son.
    With all of his senceory issues he has always found his stroller as a safe place and this year was using playdough to calm himself down. We had only brought a couple small containers with us and it was drying out. So naturally we went on the hunt for playdough and could not find any. When we returned to the G.F where we told the lobby concierge everything and asked if there was a way to have some playdough sent to our room from anywhere. They sent a driver to D.T.D and when we got back to our room that night there was the playdough lying on the bed. My son got so excited and said "Handy Manny sent me some playdough."
    Later in the trip we were getting ready to leave for the MNSSHP and he got into his stroller was being so good that all 3 of us adults failed to see he had no shoes until we got to the park. We went to every store looking for flip flops with no luck. Every store sent us some where else. Finnaly we endded up at a store with a very special cast member who understood our situtation and showed us some crocs and gave us a lollypop and said see if these work. When I went to pay she say she had taken care of it and tell him Handy Manny sent them to him. He still loves his "Handy Manny" shoes.
    Out of every time we have been this trip was so magical for my son. My advice to anyone traveling with a special needs child is to try to see ahead of the different things you may need and if you need something talk to the cast members and let them know about your child and their needs and they can help.
    2002- All Star Movies
    2003- All Star Music
    2004- Pop Centry
    2005- Pop Centry
    2006- Polynesian
    2007- Grand Floridian
    2007- Polynesian
    2008- Polynesian
    2009- Polynesian
    2010- Grand Floridian
    Dec. 2011- Grand Floridian

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

What wonderful CMs you encountered! It sounds like they really went out of their way to make your son's vist extra special. Just another reason why I love Disney so much!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

How wonderful :-)
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

that was great. The shoes story ..wow what wonderful CM....So glad you had a good time and the child has amazing merories of his "special Handy many shoes"... My best advice is always ask a cast member if you are in need.
    have a magical day!!
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It brought tears to my eyes as we are just embarking on our journey with our CP child. He has many needs also and I want so badly for him to have a wonderful time and not worry about it. Us SN parents and kids face so much as it is, I am sooo sooo very happy to see your son had such a special encounter! Disney comes through again! WOW! Thank you so much. You have no clue how this story helps me.
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: