Quantcast Which Villa is best for a trip without a lot of park visits?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which Villa is best for a trip without a lot of park visits?

I'm planning a November trip for DH and I with the kids who will be 6 and 8. It looks like we will do a 1 or 2BR villa but I can't decide which one.

We typically fly in friday night and do MVMCP, then I take the kids to the parks sat and sun while DH golfs. That is it for the parks as the rest of the time would be golfing iwth the kids (yes, they golf!).

Given that I'd like to do the meal plan, which resort has the best combination of pool area/counter service/activities to keep us engaged if we assume we would golf 9 holes in the morning and then relax the rest of the day?
    thanks
    Heidi (DS16, DD14 and the reluctant DH)
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the villas at AKL? I have never stayed there, but I have walk the grounds to see the pool, and have eaten there a couple of times. They have a very nice counter service food court, and the pool is quite nice.

It is also one of the more reasonable priced villas.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Boardwalk villas would be very cool to stay at too. There are lots of food choices with the Boardwalk, Beach Club, Swan and Dolphin within walking distance. Also, there is a great themed pool area and you are within walking distance of mini-golf. Plus you could walk over and watch Illuminations from the bridge between the Boardwalk and Beach Club. Good luck with your trip planning!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks! I'm still undecided I think. I like the sound of BWV with the food options but love the theming of AKL. The food may sway me.
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

BWV or YCV would be my suggestion. The pool at YC can't be beat for the kids and it's only a short walk over to BW for some food and games. Plus YC has Beaches & Cream, the kids are sure to love that!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never stayed in a Villa so I can't answer about the food, but SSR or OKW might be good due to their close proximity to DTD. My boyfriend and I spent a night at POR without going to the parks and loved the boat access to DTD.

Post Thanks / Like

We have stayed at both the BWV and BCV and prefer the BCV slightly over BWV. The BC/YC has several great places to eat plus it is very easy to walk over to the Boardwalk. BCV (205 units) is smaller than BWV (383 units).
    1990-2000=20+
    2001 - Con
    2002 - Poly
    2003 - Con
    2004 - Poly
    2004 - Poly
    2005 - Poly
    2006 - Poly CL
    2007 - Poly CL
    2008 - Bdwlk Villas
    2008 - GF, Club Level
    2009 - Poly, CL
    2010 - Sept. BCV
    2011 - May BCV
    2011 - Nov. Poly
    2012 - May Beach Club Villas
    2012 - Sept Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed in a 2 bedroom BWV and loved the room, liked the resort - the pool/slide is very nice and enjoyed all of the entertainment (performers) along the boardwalk.

Our only complaint was there was no food court.
    Disneyland: many, MANY times!
    WDW:POR POFQ BWV WLV ASMu POLY

Am I a huge disney fan? YOU BETCHA! I blame it all on my parents! They are the one's that walked around Disneyland all day to induce labor! Yep, I've been going to Disneyland since the day before I was born!

Post Thanks / Like

All of the villas mentioned are great, but if you're planning 2 or 3 days of golf, consider SSR. They are actually right on the golf course and you can reserve a tee time at the pro shop just down stairs from the Turf Club Bar & Grill.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone

I think my only concern with SSR is the limit of places for lunch although we could get over to DTD. That's one to consider. I like the BC/YC idea but haven't been over there yet so I'm not sure how easy it is to walk around.
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

OKW is my personal favorite. The layout of the 1 and 2 bedroom villas seems much more spacious than that of boardwalk or Sarasota Springs. With three smaller pools as well as the main pool they never really seem to be busy. There are so many activities at the main house as well all day long and just a short boat ride over to DTD. My wife and I choose this every time.

Post Thanks / Like

We loved our 2 bedroom villa at OKW - very roomy and pleasant. However, the food choices were underwhelming. We were much happier with our food choices (and transportation choices) at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge, but that location doesn't help you with the golfing at all.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be Beach Club
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed at AKL Kidani Village in a 1-bedroom villa and absolutely loved it! Next time we will definitely go for the 2 bedroom, but the 1 bedroom villa was huge and super nice. AKL is our favorite resort, and we always recommend it. There is a nice lobby at Kidani, and a great pool area and workout center. And the walk to Jambo house only takes about 7-10 minutes, and is very pleasant. There is so much to do at the AKL, that alot of times we just like to hang out at the hotel. The theming is immaculate, and the decor is luxurious and exotic. We can't wait to go back!
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jpxv View Post
    OKW is my personal favorite. The layout of the 1 and 2 bedroom villas seems much more spacious than that of boardwalk or Sarasota Springs. With three smaller pools as well as the main pool they never really seem to be busy. There are so many activities at the main house as well all day long and just a short boat ride over to DTD. My wife and I choose this every time.
    We too love OKW. We had a beautiful; 2BR villa overlooking one of the hole on the golf course along with a lake. The kids got a kick looking for Poppy on the course from the balcony. OKW have the largest villa units on property and just went through a major rehab. They also have, hands down, the best bus service I have yet to experience in my 30+ trips to WDW. We really enjoyed Olivia's for dinner. The boat ride to DTD is fabulous and the restaurant choices there are equally fabulous.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I would think Bay Lake Tower would be your best bet since you can easily get food at 3 different resorts on the monorail, not to mention a direct boat ride to WL or Ft. Wilderness Campground.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

OKW- very limited food, close to DTD and golf, cheap point-wise
    AKV - decent food choices, not close to much else, cheap point-wise
    BWV- tons of food choices, mini golf, walk to Epcot, cheap point-wise
    BCV - tons of food choices, mini golf, walk to Epcot, high points
    BLT - many food choices if you count other monorail resorts and walk to MK, high points
    VWL - decent food choices - boat ride to MK,
    high points
    SSR-limited food, close to DTD and golf, moderate points

We've been to all but VWL on this list. This is how I rate them. BLT is my personal favorite, then AKL, then BCV. For your trip, I would recommend BCV. It's the same general area as BWV but a bit pricier. (I'm basing my points on standard rooms.) It has a much nicer pool area for your downtime, the layout is better than BWV also. The hallways go on forever at BWV. For pool and restaurants, BCV can't be beat. There are so many different places to choose from to eat at over there within walking distance to you, like BWV, BCV, Swan, Dolphin, Epcot. Your only drawback is it's not close to golf, just mini-golf. If that doesn't matter, and you want restaurants and recreation and don't care about the price, I vote BCV. Second choice would be AKV, decent food choices when you count Kidani and the main lodge, two nice themed pools, lots of animal watching for your downtime, great community hall too.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

I think at this point I'm hoping for BCV based on dining and pool. I'm not too worried about being close to golf as the cabs to the courses are free. I don't want it to be a huge hassel to find a decent place to eat so I'm hoping it works out for us and we get off of the waiting list soon.
    June 02 off site
    Jan 07 VWL
    Sep 07 off site
    Jan 08 POFQ
    Oct 08 CSR
    Nov 09 Poly
    Nov 10 Off site
    Nov 11 Beach Club
    Nov 12 SSR
    Feb 14 OKW
    Feb 16 SSR
    Dec 17 Yacht Club
    Feb 19 SSR
    Feb 20 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed in your original post you asked for counter service. While they do have some in that area, a lot of the restaurants are Table Service. I didn't know if you were considering the Quick Service dining plan or the regular one with table services.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: