Quantcast Have I got low standards?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have I got low standards?

I often read posts about how people are disgusted by their rooms at various Disney resorts. But in all honesty, I've never really come across anything horrible in 30+ years of going to WDW.

The worst thing I've encountered was when I stayed one night at All Star Music (the rest of my reservation was beginning the next day at Ft. Wilderness). It was a very busy time of year so all the rooms were booked full - and since I was only there for one night, I think I got relegated to the absolute furthest room from the main building/lobby! Normally no big deal -- the only thing I noticed was that the shampoo/conditioner set in the room was the old-style red & black mickey bottles (before the current blue ones that have been around quite a while). So my guess is that nobody had stayed in there for a long time since the old shampoos were still there! But it wasn't a dirty room or anything. Just something I noticed!

So really, are my standards super low? I always find the beds comfy, the sheets clean, the bathroom in good shape...
    When people say their rooms were awful, what was so bad about them?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting post...I've never had a bad room either. I've never had a dirty room- the bathroom has always been spotless, beds comfy, etc...of course its not the Ritz or Four Seasons, but I've always found the rooms to be very comfortable, and the theming immaculate.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Of course the family does call me 'Pollyanna'. Never a bad experience and always the most magical place on Earth.
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've ever had any bad room experiences. There are resorts I liked better than others for various reasons, but the rooms themselves have always been great.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a bad experience either and I have stayed in value, mod & deluxe resorts. Like a previous poster said I have my favorites but it doesn't have anything to do with cleanliness of the rooms.
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think your standards are low - I think sometimes other people's standards and expectations are too high maybe?? We stayed at POFQ and I was a bit nervous as some people posted how much they didn't enjoy their experience - the rooms were dated, etc.... but we were thrilled with our accomodations. We are always just so darn happy to be having a Disney vacation that we probably overlook the little things that other people may pick out. But we are pretty easy to please anyways but I think it's usually "all about the attitude". However, some people do have legitimate complaints that I've read. Disney isn't perfect - but it's pretty close in my opinion!
    Melinda

Trips:

Offsite - June 1997
    WL - October 2008
    POFQ - April/May 2010

RPH - Universal - May 7th-11th 2014
    POFQ - Sept. 27-30, 2014 (just the two of us!)
    Royal Pacific Hotel - Universal - June 27th - July 1st, 2015
    POFQ - Sept 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think your standards are low. I think complaints stand out more. Since you mentioned it in a positive light, this whole thread will probably be taken up by most of us who have had great experiences and no complaints about our rooms.

Also, I think Disney vacations might stretch the budget for some. Some people are possibly paying more than they normally pay for a room, so they're expecting perfection along with some bells and whistles. But the fact is that just because it's Disney doesn't mean regular hotel issues won't come up, like an occasional shabby patch on a rug, a spot on a comforter, or a bug in the room. Things happen. I have stayed in lots of hotels and many different price points and what you're paying for is usually location, while rooms, beds, and baths are much the same at any hotel-- with some outstanding exceptions on both ends of the budget.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We have spent hundreds of nights at WDW hotels ... at all different levels ... and we have only had issues once (at the Wilderness Lodge )... and the one time we caused the issue at POFQ (But that's another story!) I think people like to complain ... especially when things don't turn out how they imagine them to be when looking forward to a holiday. I think because there is such a cost associated with staying at Disney, that we expect things to be a certain way, and topped of with Pixie Dust and Neverland Dreams. When a hotel room is just a hotel room, there's space for disappointment.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

On our second trip to WDW we stayed at POP and our room was not kept at the same standard that it had been two years before. Having said that, the room was still as good or better than other resorts we have stayed at in the past. I always say that a room at WDW is better than any place else...and it's true!

I guess, like others have stated, that people think they are paying for perfect...actually it's more like..location, location, location.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We have always been happy with mousekeeping but we do leave a note if anything else is needed so you don't dwell on it all vacation. The cost of Disney hotels (esp at peak) is a bit higher than most comparable outside the World but that's what you pay extra for. That may be why people want more for their money.
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Surprisingly, I was thinking the same thing. I don't think I've ever had a disgusting room, or at least nothing stands out. I have stayed elsewhere and found unmentionables in rooms, food, etc, but never at Disney. I've gone so much that the law of averages would seem to indicate I should have however. I'm also not all that demanding on vacation. Everything doesn't have to be perfect because I've paid a ton of money and I deserve it...

The cast at the resorts is another issue, but the rooms, not so much...

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a terrible room either! The only complaint I have EVER had at a Disney hotel was when we broung my son who was 22 months at the time, he spilt his fruit loops on the floor. Of course we picked them up but the crumbs stayed in teh carpet for our entire 9 day trip. I am one of the people who NEVER complain unless the a/c isn't working but in my opinion, a room at any Disney Resort is better than being anywhere else on the entire earth!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Add me to the list of happy visitors as well. We've stayed many, many nights at various Disney properties, mostly value and moderate and have always been very pleased. As long as the room is clean, I'm happy. I can honestly say that I've never had a room that wasn't clean in any of the times I've stayed there, and that's one of the reasons why we continue to go back.

Off property is another story . . .
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

I think that when it comes to room cleanliness (and many, many other things) at WDW there are two extremes that often come into play.

1. Unreasonably high expectations ...some folks seemingly arrive with expectations that Disney is truly a "different world" where everything is magically perfect and not subject to the general rules of life and its randomness that apply elsewhere on the planet. (i.e. whereas we might not be overly upset when we encounter a less than perfectly clean room with say a cobweb in the corner at the Comfort Inn at Podunk Beach...at WDW it upsets some folks because it pokes a hole in their "perfect world" expectations. And thus that cobweb gets blown out of proportion. And as Disneyrox mentioned above, the higher costs of an on property stay do tend to fuel this mindset.

2. Pollyanna-ism... and what I am referring to here are the folks who also believe that WDW is "Another World" as well...but here instead of overly high expectations making them impossible to please --they actually become less discerning consumers and will become accepting of levels of service that they likely would not tolerate at other places....simply because it is Disney.

folks, who fall into this line of thinking will sometimes try to talk the dissatsified in their parties out of registering a complaint, will make excuses for poor service (they must just be having a bad day), or even get upset with people that point out the deficiencies. Any criticism on WDW (even mousekeeping) is taken as a personal affront.

So are your expectations low...I doubt it. My trips to WDW began in the early seventies and have increased in frequency through the years. We have traveled the entire lower forty-eight and stayed at some pretty nice places along the way...but my favorite place to vacation is still WDW. The overall cleanliness and suitability of our rooms have varied somewhat from stay to stay and we have had a couple times where we refused the room assigned or demanded a move because of in-room issues (once for a musty/smoky smell and the other time because of some water issues related to a leaky sprinkler system in the wall at the CB)...we have also had to make some maintenance requests along the way (broken bathroom doorknob that cut my hand at the Music and an AC issue at CSR).

But none of those issues were trip-ruiners by any stretch of the imagination...and in each case Disney was quick to address the situation and "make things right."

And that is what probably has kept me so firmly in the WDW fold (so to speak)...I do not expect perfection at WDW...but I do expect them to take care of the real issues that I bring to their attention when (in my experience) those rare miscues occur. They have met that expectation.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We have not had any bad experiences either. I will add that the most immaculately clean rooms we have ever had are our stays at Boardwalk Villas and Beach Club Villas.
    1990-2000=20+
    2001 - Con
    2002 - Poly
    2003 - Con
    2004 - Poly
    2004 - Poly
    2005 - Poly
    2006 - Poly CL
    2007 - Poly CL
    2008 - Bdwlk Villas
    2008 - GF, Club Level
    2009 - Poly, CL
    2010 - Sept. BCV
    2011 - May BCV
    2011 - Nov. Poly
    2012 - May Beach Club Villas
    2012 - Sept Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at almost all the Disney deluxe resorts and the values, several times. I really have had the same level of housekeeping at both levels. Where I notice the difference is in the speed of service. At the value resorts, it takes a long time to get more towels or something cleaned, where at the deluxe resorts, they are on it in 5-10 minutes. But it always gets resolved in the end. And the one time it didn't after 3 requests, and I spoke to a manager, they promptly refunded me $50 for one night. But that was a rarity, and we've stayed probably 100 nights in the values. So it's more a matter of patience with the value resorts than anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I think when people get upset, money is usually the issue. Staying at a Disney resort, especially a Deluxe or even a Mod, is considerably more expensive than comparable accomodations elsewhere. So when people say their room was "awful", what they may mean is that "For what we paid for this room, we expected much more." Like bigger rooms, more luxurious furnishings, marble bathroom floors and such.
    I know that the first time i stayed at Disney i was somewhat surprised that the rooms seemed no better than any standard motel room. And though i had no complaints, i would imagine that those who do complain are first timers as well.

Post Thanks / Like

We've never had an actual room issue, just issues with service. And service, even at Disney, is largely going to depend on the Cast Members, and the kind of day they've had.

And, in thinking about it, in the nine years that we've been going to WDW, I can only think of twice that we had bad service at a resort. Once was at All Star Sports, and then when we went to the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. That time is was more of a miscommunication than a service issue.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I always shake my head when I read all the bad reports of unclean Disney rooms that must need refurbishment. I've been 5 times, and have yet to come back to my room and it was not clean - except when I rented those DVC points and didn't realize that mousekeeping came by every 3-4 days. Even still, I didn't walk into the room, look under the bed searching for dust bunnies, or use a PH test to check for mold in the shower. I don't get the ultra-clean attitude - have these people spent anytime in South America?
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

We have had only one problem and that was at the CSR. The toilet was not clean when we arrived. It was taken care right away and not an issue. People always will find a reason to be unhappy, especially when they are spending alot of their money.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: