Quantcast I guess I need glasses! :( - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    My eyesight is something I've always taken for granted, as it's been perfect my whole life. So I'm almost 41 now, and in the last six months I've noticed things up close are now blurry. Something has to be at least a foot away in order for me to read it. Waaaah - I guess it's time for a visit to the doctor.

I'm getting old!
    Welcome to the 40's, Mel! I think I remember telling you that I thought it was grossly unfair after wearing contacts lenses (for near-sightedness) for decades to avoid glasses, that I ended up needing reading glasses too!

Definitely get an eye exam and if all is well just go the reading glasses route--and the cheaper the better. That way when you lose a pair (which inevitably will happen) it won't be a big deal.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    That way when you lose a pair (which inevitably will happen) it won't be a big deal.

I don't usually lose them, I just leave them somewhere where I'm not! For example, I get to work and realize I left them on my dresser. So, I've presently got three pairs; one in my pocket, one in my truck, and one in my work briefcase.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Melanie!! Thankfully they do make fashionable glasses these days!

It gets rough being in your 40's!!!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    You absolutely should get an eye exam every two years. Some people need glasses and don't even realize thier vision is blurry. Not to mention all the other reasons another poster mentioned. I've had more eye problems in the past few years than in my whole life. Don't be surprised if they also want to dilate your eyes. Bring sunglasses just in case.

It's better to just go and make sure everything is ok.
    Took a while but finally made a trip to the eye doctor because I my eyes were getting itchy and keep getting this white mucousy stuff in my eye all day long. To me it sounded like dry eye, after some research, which is what the Dr. said and also some type of allergy I guess. Otherwise he said I have very healthy eyes and left eye is 20/20 and right eye is 20/25. I tell you it is very strange when they put the drops in my eyes to dilate them and everything starts to get a little blurry and bright and I couldn't even focus on anything especially up close (better now). So I could get glasses but Dr. said since one eye is 20/20 and one 20/25 is unnecessary since it is close to perfect.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

trying to convince my fiance to go get her eyes checked.. she doesn't have insurance but the more i look at it, eye docs don't seem to be too outrageous. Especially at Costco or Sams.

I was going to wait until November when we are married to get her in under my insurance but that isn't looking like a good idea "seeing" how its 5 months away.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

i started wearing glasses at 24 for nearsightedness.i was a truckdriver and was having headaches constantly .went to an eye doctor found out i had 20/50 & 20/70 vision.got my glasses and for the next 24 years my prescription never changed.on my 2 year exam my doctor said i would need bi focals(yes the b word)i got the no line type.BIG mistake.my headaches came back along with a few other irritating side effects. i found out some people cant wear those .i purchased the lined bifocals and everything is fine.i discovered that sometimes i can see better looking over the top of my glasses than through them (like right now writing this).the top part is for driving & seeing in the distant while the lower part is for reading.my eye doctor also discovered i have a floater in my left eye.that is a piece of the lining has come off & floats around.occasionally it gets in front and i see a small black dot.annoying but not harmful, blink a few times & its gone.eye exams are cheap & quick and can reveal a lot of other problems you might have .

Post Thanks / Like

Money saving tip - if your opthamologist writes you a prescription for readers which differs from one eye to the other, hit your drug or discount store, and buy two identical pairs - one pair in each strength. Then you swap out one of the lenses, or have an optometrist do it for you. The extra frame, and the lenses you don't need, can be donated to your local Lions Club. I told my eye doc I was doing this, and he first laughed, and then looked thoughtful, and then said "OK, why not?"

This tip has allowed me to make multiple pairs of glasses, one for reading, one for computer, one for piano and conducting, and one sort of in the middle for when I inevitable misplace one of the others. All for less than the price of one pair of prescription readers!
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Every two years for an eye exam. Up here that runs you about $80 per visit, but all kinds of diseases are screened each time. Our children have been tested since they were about 3 on an annual basis, I go every other year, and my husband FINALLY went for his first eye check up about a month ago (at age 43).

Like a previous poster said, I have worn glasses for years, but now find that I take them off to see things up close. My optometrist assures me that it's just what happens after 40 ....

Have fun buying your specs, Mel! There are so many nice frames out there these days! I love getting new glasses!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    Have fun buying your specs, Mel! There are so many nice frames out there these days! I love getting new glasses!
    I'm embarrassed to say that I started this thread in November and have yet to get an eye exam. It's been a crazy past 6 months. I really need to get on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    and my husband FINALLY went for his first eye check up about a month ago (at age 43).
    And I got a SMOKIN' pair of Oakley sunglasses to boot! I should have got my eyes tested years ago just to get my sunglasses.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say that I started this thread in November and have yet to get an eye exam. It's been a crazy past 6 months. I really need to get on this.
    You at least aren't as bad as I am. I waited 20 plus years to go.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in my mid-40s, and my eyes have been going for about a year now. I know I need to go to the Dr, but just cant bring myself to it. I've been blessed with better than 20/20 for all my life, and the thought of having to wear glasses or contacts now, just bugs me. Of course, it doesn't help that I sit in front of two computer screens all day long, and then stare at my iPod touch screen at night. Need to give them a rest I'm sure.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP