Quantcast First Timers trip to WDW pre-trip report

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First Timers trip to WDW pre-trip report

I have been reading everyone’s trip/pre-trip reports which has made planning this so much easier! Thank you all for that! I am writing this pre-trip report with hopes you all will give suggestions if you think I am off my rocker on some of these plans

We leave on 11/12, flying Southwest. We being: DH—crazy for anything related to Disney Art and Imagineering, has an uncanny resemblance to Stitch, DS-12, star wars nut, looking for the “hurl factor” rides, very interested in TS meals and finding the perfect smoothie, DD1-10, not into princesses, thinks Donald D is very cool, also interested in exotic TS meals, DD2-2.5, definitely a princess, has a hat to wear to meet Mary Poppins, adores Toy Story(hasn’t seen 2 or 3 yet), and me—believes in excessive planning to be able to go with the flow when we are on vacation.

We will arrive on 11/12, have rented a car and are staying at CBR, with Deluxe Dining. We are planning to go to EMH at Animal Kingdom that night and then to dinner at Sanaa(see SBETigg trip report for the review). After dinner, I will return to the room with DD2 and the others will take a trip off property for pullups, shampoo etc. I prefer to do this than filling a suitcase with them. While they are gone, I will set up a “welcome basket”. I am bringing a few things that I have pre-purchased as well as items DS and DD1 will need the following day for their Adventure Around the World.

11/13 Festival of the Masters and Food and Wine Day
    We are planning to go to DTD for the Festival of the Masters early (breakfast is at Olivia’s at 7:30) for street art—chalk painting, art in the park, legos, and other events put on by Sharpie.
    To lunch at San Angel—Epcot. This restaurant is for me—I adore real Mexican food. The kids start their Great Adventure—I have this set up like the Amazing Race as far as with Route Info—tips about the country they will see next, Roadblocks—activities they have to do, Speedbumps—purchases to make($$ are included), Detours—things to see and Refueling Stations. It isn’t like a race in that they do the things in each envelope to the best of their ability, not a timed thing(we do have a two yr old with us!!). I have chosen to set it up myself for a couple reasons. I did find a co. that does scavenger-type hunts in WDW, but what they offered didn’t fit our family. I was able to learn a lot online about World Showcase and this is where I wanted to focus this Adventure. With F&W going on this weekend, we wanted to sample everything as well, including the adult beverages, so I didn’t want it to be on a timed thing. The kids have to find the countries on a map, take pictures of each other at certain places, take in a live show, answer questions about things, sample foods(they will be using a lot of their 14 snack credits each here), find something out about CM’s, say hello in their language etc. I will include a sampling of the clues for the countries in another post if anyone is interested. I didn’t make this up, lots of people have done this sort of thing and have generously posted tips etc online that they experienced, so it really was easy; I just changed it up for the interests of our family. We will be going counter-clockwise around WS thanks to BigRedDad trip report
    Dinner at Narcoossee’s. I have a Congrats basket being delivered here for DS and DD1 for completing their Great Adventure—balloons, watches for each and pins.
    After dinner, I will return to the resort with DD2(she may have gone back for a nap earlier with DH before dinner if either were starting to get crabby) and the rest will be going on the Pirates and Pals Cruise. My DS and DD1 drew storyboards up for DH’s birthday, so he could choose which “extra” he would like. (DD2 gave him a Toy Story shirt They will see the fireworks from the boat, with snacks and characters.

11/14 Slow Down Day!!
    We have planned to pack a ton in on 11/13—didn’t know F&W or Masters would be happening when I planned this, so now we need to slow down a bit. Originally I had THS on this day, but we have decided not to do Fantasmic, so we changed it up. I have been given a spa morning at Grand Floridian while DH takes the kids to breakfast with Mary Poppins. We will then head to MK. We have a late lunch planned at Whispering Canyon and plan to take advantage of the EMH at MK.

11/15 Animal Kingdom Day
    Boma for breakfast, Yak and Yeti for lunch—climbing Mt Everest for me and older kids inbetween. They also are interested in Dinosaur and I am interested in them seeing Tough to be a Bug. DD2 will love the Safari thing! We are hoping to catch the afternoon parade, then back to the resort for pool time, naps etc. We have dinner ADR’s at Yachtsman. There are EMH at DHS, so I think we’ll go to see the Osborne Lights.(Again, something extra we had no idea about

11/16 Magic Kingdom
    We will have breakfast at Chef Mickey’s. This is one of the ADR’s I made based on a friends’ recommendations when she found out we were going. She had a list for me, I made ADR’s and got lucky because I really didn’t know a thing about what I was doing. I personally like this dining plan thing. We go to NYC around Christmas every year and I make reservations ahead of time there as well. I like the idea of knowing we have a place to get off our feet, relax, regroup and of course eat. We will go to the park—have to do Dumbo—everyone wants to ride with DD2.
    Question here: Can you take the train from Splash mtn area to the front of MK?
    We have lunch at Grand Floridian Café. Yes, we are resort hopping. I want to see as many of them as possible!
    I have a late afternoon reservation for DD1 for BBB—based on Darth Macho’s trip report. She is not so much into princesses, but likes to be treated like one, doesn’t like Hannah Montana and I think she will want to do it when she sees all the other princesses around. Plus, this will probably be the last chance before she gets too old for it. We then get out of the park as everyone is coming in for the Christmas party. We have ADR’s at O’hana. Back to the resort for Kids Nite Out—actually parents night out, and thanks for the advice, I think we’ll go to Epcot for a ride and drink and then to JellyRolls.

11/17 Epcot Day
    Have breakfast somewhere—can’t remember….We have lunch at LeCellier and dinner at Chefs de France—should be able to see Remy since he is scheduled to make an appearance when we are there. DD1 is interested in pins, so she will be interested in shopping here. DS thinks Test Track will be cool! Hopefully get to see Illuminations here.
    11/18 Hollywood Studios Day
    We have early ADR’s at Kona. I would like to go on the “hurl” rides prior to lunch but we’ll see. We have ADR’s for SciFi for lunch and have to see the afternoon parade. DS is hoping the star wars store is open, even though he won’t see the stars wars tour thing. All of us want to see Beauty and the Beast. We return or send DH and DD2 to the resort for naps etc. and then go to Flying Fish for a late dinner(O.K. late for us We all are interested in Boardwalk activities.
    11/19 Departure Day—we will be leaving by 9:00, so will use up any leftover snack credits and breakfast credits here. We are flying in on a Friday and leaving on a Friday because of airline costs, as well as work/school etc. We are bringing our own stroller and have been taking walks daily to get used to all the walking. I saw a trip report(can’t remember who now) where walking mileage was posted—thank you for that!! As a newbie, that is something we wouldn’t have thought of.
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Intercot, sounds like you have a lot planned but not necessarily unmanageable....you are going to love WDW

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

What great plans! Sounds like your family will have lots of fun!

Yes, you can take the train from Splash Mountain to Main Street at the front of the park!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default I love it!

I love to see people plan their trip to WDW (especially the first time) to get the very most out of it! You will absolutely love it...and as your addiction grows, return to Intercot for the support you need to get through until the next trip!
    Welcome and have a great trip!!!!
    Kathy
    [COLOR=DarkRed]

'72, '88, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '99, '00, '01, 3/03, 10/03, 1/05, 4/05, 1/06, 10/06, 1/07, 5/07, 12/07, 10/08, 5/09, 11/09, 1/10, 10/10, 12/10, 10/11, 07/12, 11/12, 10/13, 4/14, DCL6/14, 10/14, 1/15, 5/15, WL8/15 & 11/15! Finally Moved to FLORIDA 2/16!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

The Osborne lights are incredible...totally amazing. I like your ideas at Epcot with the hunt. I am going to do the Kim Possible mission with DD in December.

Have a great trip
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Great plans!!! I would try and get fantasmic in if possible. I love it! Don't forget to fast pass Soarin' at Epcot and Toy Story Mania at Studios FIRST THING if you want to ride those. Have fun!
    6/11 DCL Med
    5/11 DCL & Port Bay
    10/10 SOG
    6/10 Regal Sun
    5/2010 AKL
    6/09 POFQ
    2/09 OKW
    10/08 AS Movies
    7/07 Pop
    12/06 C Beach
    3/06 POFQ
    3/05 C Springs
    3/04 POP
    3/03 SOG
    4/02 Contemp
    3/01 SOG
    3/00 AS Music
    6/99 SOG
    5/98 Best Western LBV

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time and a safe trip.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

My DW and I will arrive on 11/14. We don't plan out our trip with too much detail. But your family and I might cross paths on 11/14 as we are planning to make the EMH at MK on that day. While I think it is necessary for first timers to have a plan, be prepared to modify them, so that changes will not upset your vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

Lynne, it looks like you've done your homework. I'm sure your family will have a magical time with all of the things you have planned!

As another member mentioned, just be prepared to change your plans if things seem too crazy or stressed. Even big kids (meaning us adults) can get over-stimulated at the happiest place in the world & need a break! Go with your plan, but don't worry about seeing and doing everything your first trip!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I plan to take your advice and go with the flow. I am so appreciative to this forum because it has enabled me to have a better idea of what to expect. There is nothing we have to do, everything is paid for (well mostly), and we will not be approaching this "commando-style"!
    Lynne

Post Thanks / Like

Your plans sound wonderful! I especially like the Amazing Race at Epcot - I'd love to hear more details about the specific tasks! Don't forget to take advantage of Photopass photographers in the parks - if you're like me, you won't end up in any of the pictures with the family camera! How exciting to be planning your first visit to WDW - have a magical time!!!!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn’t sure about the PhotoPass thing. I was really wondering how prevelant these photographers are, how lines are for them—really can’t convince kids to wait too long to get their picture taken! We don’t do a lot of planned photos on a regular basis anyway, so I was leaning towards not doing this.

Here’s a couple samples of the Around the World Adventure clues. Each country(clue) has a speedbump or two, a detour and a roadblock.

Clue 1—Speedbump
    Before you leave Canada, answer this question: In the live show “Off Kilter”, what do the band members wear instead of pants?

Clue 2: Speedbump—The live show at United Kingdom is called, “British Invasion”—What famous groups’ songs do they perform??

Clue 6: Speedbump-- The entrance to the American Adventure first leads us to the Hall of Flags. There are 44 flags here in the hall and they represent Revolutionary War flags, Colonial flags, and foreign flags that once had claim to the land. And the hall brings us up to the second floor of the pavilion. Which is your favorite?

Clue 3—Detour--
    There are quite a few “Impressions of France”. Which two bring back memories to your Mom from her trip to France? Clue, the first is iconic France. The other is the actually the most memorable for your Mom. Your neighbor at home is from that region. Purchase a souvenir depicting one of the two Impressions.

Clue 11: Detour-- Make your way to the Stave church, which is a replica of the Gol Stave church found in the Norwegian Folk museum in Oslo, Norway. When you go inside you will find an exhibit on Vikings, with authentic weapons and other artifacts, as well as important Norwegians – such as Eric the Red. There is a Viking Raider named Rognvald featured here as well. Which country is he well known for invading??

Clue 12: Detour--The Mayan Pyramid is reflective of Mexico’s pre- Columbia heritage. This eco-area depicted is the Mexican tropics with the pyramid rising out of the Yucatan jungle. Can you guess the other eco-area? Hint: It’s arid. This area has a Yucca tree. Ask a cast member how old it is. Make sure to get a picture in both areas.

Clue 8:Roadblock-- Find a pickle ornament!! Pickle ornaments in Germany are considered very special and are generally the last item parents put on the tree on Christmas Eve. In fact, the pickle ornament is hidden from view amidst the tree branches, and as soon as the children are allowed to see the tree, the hunt begins. The lucky finder of the special pickle ornament receives an extra gift from St. Nicholas for being the most observant child. When you find the ornament, take a picture, then purchase a souvenir under $20 each from Germany for being so observant!
    Lynne

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recommend Photopass enough. The photographers are in all the typical spots, in front of each park icon, with the character meet and greets, and then you'll occassionally run into one in a less popular spot - ie. we had our pictures taken by one in Italy in May. The lines usually aren't too long, maybe two to three families at the most. It's not something you need to commit to, so I'd suggest keeping an open mind to it. If you see a lonely photographer, grab him/her and give it a try. Some of them will do really fun stuff with you. You are under no obligation to buy, but it is lots of fun to play with the different borders when you look at your pictures online. There are discounts if you order the CD before your trip, and you can get a full refund if you end up not getting enough pictures. It really is a great service!

Your Amazing Race ideas are great! I did a little research online after reading about your idea, and I'm really thinking about putting something together for my kids. I'd love to hear how your game goes after you return!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Sounds like a great plan with a lot of fun and
    good places to eat. Yes, you can take the train
    from splash Mt to the front of the park. Have
    a safe and wonderful trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

In response to going to Fantasmic--our 2 yr old is questionable about loud, dark and potentially scary. That being combined with the wait, I don't think it will work for us this trip--see already planning to go again!!

Another question--we arrive on a Friday night, have a 7 day pass and DDP. We are flying out the following Friday morning. Do my dining credits expire Thursday at midnight? So do I need to use up any snack credits etc by then, or can I use them up prior to leave Friday a.m.?
    Thank you everyone for your help!!!
    Lynne

Post Thanks / Like

lynnek, I love your enthusiasm and all the research you've done into this trip! You remind me of my mother--and that's a good thing! On our first trip to Disney, she really went all out and did all sorts of research (we had a family friend at the time who vacationed with her family in Disney about two times a year, so we used her as our own personal Intercot).

I think your whole family is going to greatly enjoy themselves and the scavenger hunt for the WS is such a great idea. I wasn't that into WS the first time I went (I was 10), so I think this will really help!

Looking forward to reading your trip reports from when you go!
    TTFN,
    Rose

1998 (10 YO & 1st time!)
    2002 (14 YO & 2nd time)
    June 12 2006 (18 & by myself!)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun trip planned. Have a great time.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lynnek View Post
    Another question--we arrive on a Friday night, have a 7 day pass and DDP. We are flying out the following Friday morning. Do my dining credits expire Thursday at midnight? So do I need to use up any snack credits etc by then, or can I use them up prior to leave Friday a.m.?
    If you are checking out on Friday morning and staying for 7 nights on the dining plan, your dining plan credits will expire at midnight on Friday so you will still be able to use the credits on the morning you are leaving.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like so much fun! You're a planner after these other Disney World planners hearts! We're just all ashamed that we didn't think of it before you.

Have a GREAT time! Tell us all about it when you return.
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Linda!! I thought I had it right and would be able to use them on Friday, but was second guessing myself.

I was able to put this game together because of the generosity of everyone posting ideas etc. Also, it helped channel my excitement about this trip!! My husband says I am bordering on obsessive
    Lynne

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: