Quantcast No Ordinary Family - Not So Family

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No Ordinary Family - Not So Family

Anybody else a bit shocked and put off by ABC's new, self-touted "family-friendly show", No Ordinary Family?

I know these are mild examples when compared to other shows but is this really what ABC thinks is a family show? Wow, are they out of touch.

So what did you think? We were hoping for a fun, live action version of The Incredibles.
    Last edited by Melanie; 09-28-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, nothing on prime time that airs on the major networks should be considered "family friendly."

Just because it's ABC doesn't automatically make it "family friendly." I've not seen or heard anything that alludes to the fact that this show is supposed to be "family friendly" at all.

And, to be honest, even the stuff on ABC Family channel isn't all innocent either.

But, that's not to say that it's going to inherently harm our children. I grew up watching all sorts of shows that were full of innuendo, poor behavior, etc. Most of it went completely over my head when I was a kid. What's funny is that when I watch re runs of those shows now (INCLUDING stuff like Full House), I catch all sorts of "questionable" content, and it makes me laugh when I realize how much of the humor in these shows is really for the grown ups, even though they are "family" shows.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the "it won't necessarily harm them" and "most of it goes over their heads anyway" but I'm still disappointed in the show and will not be watching again.

As for it being family friendly - a few online articles I read mentioned that it was exactly that and Michael Chiklis himself today on Regis (why I was watching that I have no idea) stated the fact that his 11 year old would finally get to watch him act. Well, our 10 and 12 year olds didn't get to watch the whole show.
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Missed it. I don't remember seeing anything about it being family-friendly.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have to agree with Nat. I try not to worry too much about this stuff. I've done the exact same thing ... looked back and watched shows I loved as a kid and thought, "Oh wow ... totally missed that when I was 8!"
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I was totally snowed by this show. Yes it is MY fault not for looking into it more before I sat down with my 15 and 12 year olds to watch the show. There were parts that were down right uncomfortable. Luckily I had DVR'd it and could fast forward through almost every scene with the HS daughter and parents in bed. Yes, my kids know about stuff like that but it doesn't mean I want to watch it with them. Many things that went over heads at 8 hits you smack in the face at 12.

I would really like to have shows we can watch as a family with out curse words, sex or really bad behavor....sigh....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    I would really like to have shows we can watch as a family with out curse words, sex or really bad behavor....sigh....
    You know it's funny ... I was just thinking about this the other night as I lay awake at 3AM feeding the babies with DW and watching reruns of the Golden Girls.

While I agree that some of the older shows most of us remember as being "family friendly" do probably have more innuendo and adult content than we remember, it was definitely far more subtle and ... I guess classy is the word I would use. There wasn't the same level of vulgarity and crudeness there is today.

And look ... I'm no prude. I enjoy comedy of all kinds (I mean Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy were my favorites back in the day, so that should tell you something), but I do miss the opportunity to watch T.V. comedies (or even dramas) that are appropriate to watch with the whole family. As far as I can tell, they simply don't exist anymore.

If we want shows we can watch as a family we either have to go to the more educational oriented shows on cable (like Mythbusters, etc.) or as crazy as it sounds reality shows like Survivor and Amazing Race.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    You know it's funny ... I was just thinking about this the other night as I lay awake at 3AM feeding the babies with DW and watching reruns of the Golden Girls.

While I agree that some of the older shows most of us remember as being "family friendly" do probably have more innuendo and adult content than we remember, it was definitely far more subtle and ... I guess classy is the word I would use. There wasn't the same level of vulgarity and crudeness there is today.

And look ... I'm no prude. I enjoy comedy of all kinds (I mean Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy were my favorites back in the day, so that should tell you something), but I do miss the opportunity to watch T.V. comedies (or even dramas) that are appropriate to watch with the whole family. As far as I can tell, they simply don't exist anymore.

If we want shows we can watch as a family we either have to go to the more educational oriented shows on cable (like Mythbusters, etc.) or as crazy as it sounds reality shows like Survivor and Amazing Race.
    Totally true! Although, I think the majority of parents out there would be downright FLOORED to know what kind of language their kids are hearing at school. Even elementary school. Words such as the ones used in No Ordinary Family are NOTHING. Not that it makes it okay. I just think our society has sort of shifted and has become more comfortable with this kind of language, as it becomes more and more prevalent.

To be perfectly honest, though, if I DID have teenagers (or tweens) now, I would not have had much of an issue with last night's show. The truth is, the situation that teen found herself in is VERY common. It was very common when *I* was in HS. Parents should not be afraid to watch this sort of thing and discuss it with their kids. It happens. Better to have kids be aware of this type of thing and learn how to navigate it than to shelter them and have it be a shock later.

My kids are young still (oldest is six). My six year old's favorite shows are still of the Thomas and Friends/Playhouse Disney variety. However, he does like reality/game shows too. He loves Wipeout, Minute to Win It and his favorite....HOUSE HUNTERS on HGTV.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    My kids are young still (oldest is six). My six year old's favorite shows are still of the Thomas and Friends/Playhouse Disney variety. However, he does like reality/game shows too. He loves Wipeout, Minute to Win It and his favorite....HOUSE HUNTERS on HGTV.
    Funny ... DD8 likes Minute to Win It and House Hunters, too.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the show last night and found nothing questionable about it.

To be honest I felt it dealt with family and teen issues rather well in the our I watched. I saw nothing out of the ordinary (you know othe rthan the whole super powers thing) that probably doesn't occur in many American homes on a daily basis.

I let me six and eight-year-old daughters watch last night and didn't bat an eye lash. Now I will admit the wife and I are what many would call 'progressive' however I find it is better to not shield my children from shows such as this as it creates a dialogue that I think enables better communication between parents and kids.

As to the show itself...it has potential. Quite a bit of it was fairly predictable but I do like the family dynamic in the show and Chiklis is always brilliant. I hope the series gets a chance!
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I should be amazed that I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Popeye, Krazy Kat & Ignatz, and a host of other shows and to this day I haven't thrown a brick at my wife (KK & Ignatz), dropped a safe on anyone (Bugs), set anyone on fire (T&J), punched someone through a wall (Popeye), or blown anyone up with a bomb (R&B).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFanatic View Post
    Okay I was totally snowed by this show. Yes it is MY fault not for looking into it more before I sat down with my 15 and 12 year olds to watch the show. There were parts that were down right uncomfortable. Luckily I had DVR'd it and could fast forward through almost every scene with the HS daughter and parents in bed. Yes, my kids know about stuff like that but it doesn't mean I want to watch it with them. Many things that went over heads at 8 hits you smack in the face at 12.

I'm glad to see we weren't the only ones! I can't wait for some of the other posters with younger kids to remember their comments here in a couple years when they're sitting uncomfortably watching a show with their family.
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    I guess I should be amazed that I grew up watching Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Popeye, Krazy Kat & Ignatz, and a host of other shows and to this day I haven't thrown a brick at my wife (KK & Ignatz), dropped a safe on anyone (Bugs), set anyone on fire (T&J), punched someone through a wall (Popeye), or blown anyone up with a bomb (R&B).
    Whatever we may differ on from a sports standpoint, Pagan, we're definitely in synch from a childhood T.V. standpoint.

You just named all of my favorite cartoons from when I was young!

Funny, too ... those cartoons also were dual level. I watch them now and see a lot of adult humor that I totally missed out on as a kid.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, too ... those cartoons also were dual level. I watch them now and see a lot of adult humor that I totally missed out on as a kid.
    BIG time! I actually find them funnier now!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    BIG time! I actually find them funnier now!
    Me too!

I have a ton of older, unedited Looney Tunes cartoons that I downloaded a couple years ago and I watch them a few times a month ... they're hysterical!
    Last edited by Ian; 09-29-2010 at 02:28 PM.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Me too!

I have a ton of older, unedited Looney Tunes cartoons that I downloaded a couple years ago and I watch them a few times a month ... they're hysterical!
    I have every Looney Tunes short ever made, including the banned ones. If you ever want DVDs, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    I'm glad to see we weren't the only ones! I can't wait for some of the other posters with younger kids to remember their comments here in a couple years when they're sitting uncomfortably watching a show with their family.
    Well...I'll say this...we also have a nineteen-year-old that we allowed to watch all the same sorts of television that we allow our younger girls watch and she has to be one of the most well adjusted individuals I've ever known!

Now I understand not every child is going to grow and develope the same emotionally, but it worked for my sister and I growing up...it worked for my wife...and we're finding the same parenting skill set working quite well with our own children.
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." Edgar Allen Poe

Post Thanks / Like

Um, when I was 12, the "big" show was Beverly Hills 90210. I watched it. All my friends watched it. My parents were oblivious to the content of the show.

That show dealt with some pretty questionable situations, but I did not become all corrupt from watching it. It's just tv...it's for entertainment.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I was sheltered. I did watch shows like 90210 and soaps with my mom, but she would fast forward through the bad stuff. They didn't have DVR's then so she recorded everything on VHS. Otherwise she'd flip the channel. I can honestly say that even though I was sheltered, I was never "shocked" when I got older. Ok, maybe one time I did sneak on MTV as a teenager and something shocked me and I turned it before I got caught. But in general, I'm glad I was "sheltered" and I will raise my kids the same way. I don't even watch certain ABC Family shows. Not because of the shock value, but because most of the messages these days are not what I need to hear.
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I just feel the need to clarify here ... my oldest is 8. I censor what she watches to a degree because she's 8 and that is (IMO) too young to start watching and learning about adult themes.

When she's 12? Or 13? Totally different ballgame.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: