Quantcast Special Treatment for Handicapped in the Parks?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Special Treatment for Handicapped in the Parks?

We have a large group (14 people) going at the end of next week. My DMIL will be using a scooter, as she has some nerve problems and it is becoming increasingly painful to walk.

Years ago, I went to Kings Dominion with a friend who has Muscular Dystrophy. Since he had a wheelchair, he (and his party) used the exit to the rides instead of the entrance queue, and was allowed to ride twice on everything.

Does Disney do anything like this? How will it work for us?
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop at Guest Relations in the first park you visit and discuss your relative's disability with the CMs there. They may give your MIL a Guest Assistance Card (GAC), which in some cases will allow expedited entrance to an attraction. The front of the card will be stamped with a symbol that tells the attraction CMs whether she can wait in the normal lines, use the FastPass line, or use an alternate entrance.

Generally, if the problem is simply an inability to walk for long distances she will likely be taking the scooter through the normal entrance queue along with everyone else. If the disability is more severe, then the symbol on the card will result in a more expedited entry.

Alternate entry is not the same for all attractions, so you must show the GAC to a CM at the attraction entrance. You will be directed to the appropriate entrance.

Since you have a large party, you may have to split up and use different entrances. The GAC is normally good only for a maximum of six people. Also, the GAC does not give you the option of riding twice.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

It is also not a "Front of the Line Pass".
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I knew I had never seen anyone get to cut a line or anything while at WDW due to having a wheelchair or scooter, but also know that there are some queues that just couldn't be navigated the same.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad they changed where the whole group got to stay with the handicapped person. About 10 years ago I went and they would have handicap seating for Illuminations and a whole party would be in the roped off area with one person in a wheelchair and the other handicapped had to look elsewhere for seating. I refuse to go with my BIL because I have to have assistance with walking due to advanced scoliosis and when I found out he used a fake cast and a wheelchair when he took his kids to Disney to get to the front of the lines (and bragged about it), I just can't to that. I like going through the queue's - it is so much a part of the ride. Besides the people you get to talk to in line is sometimes really amazing. It's hard enough swallowing my dignity and riding in a wheelchair or ECV. I sure wouldn't want people thinking I was using my handicap for special treatment.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: