Quantcast WDW Flashback Time....

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Flashback Time....

With the dizzying myriad of things to experience at WDW circa 2010, what do the "old-timers" out there - those of us who remember visits from those opening years with one park and two hotels (eghad!) - fondly remember but can no longer experience.

For me - a young teen at the time - it was the old Main Street. The hustle-bustle of all the vehicles, characters casually strolling by, less crowded But it was the little individual shops that stuck with me. The penny arcade, the cinema, I think there was a small magic store there; it was an old time Main Street feel inside and out. Now it's just one seemingly long Disney-esque mall hiding behind whichever door you walk in. Miss it. Truly do.

March '99 - POFQ
    February '04 - WL
    February '05 - POLY
    November '05 - CB
    October '06 - POLY
    November '07 - POLY / BC
    November ' 08 - BC
    March '10 - WL
    November '10 - POR-Riverside
    November '11 - CSR

Dear departed brother Dave, he chased a bear into a cave

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Memories...

Yup! Ya hit the nail on the head with the Main Street comments! (I still have a 'glow-in-the-dark' skull I bought in the magic shop in 1975).

Besides all the long-gone attractions - Mr. Toad, 20K Leagues, etc, I fondly remember & miss the western cowboy shootout/stunt show they did in Frontierland waaay back in the day. It lasted about 15 minutes & featured several stunt people shooting each other, falling off the buildings, etc. It was really fun to watch, and you could meet the performers afterwards.

Oh, one more thing would be the fife & drum corps awarding of the little certificates to a lucky boy & girl several times a day in Liberty Square. I think they were called "Sons & Daughters of Liberty".
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong but I was thinking about a store inside the castle that I bought a Mickey Mouse watch from...Wonder if there was or my imagination?
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Not your imagination Amy! It used to be where the BBB is now, and they sold "higher-end" merchandise. I always wanted to buy a sword from them, but they were way out of my price range!
    First trip, Christmas 1971.
    Last Trip, Oct. 2017 - ICOT20!
    Next Trip: Planning...Always Planning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad192 View Post
    Yup! Ya hit the nail on the head with the Main Street comments! (I still have a 'glow-in-the-dark' skull I bought in the magic shop in 1975)

That's funny! I remember that shop beacause the first WDW "purchase" I made was a cardboard picture of an old Haunted Mansion looking geezer BUT....when you held him under a light and then turned it off - ooooh, spooky ghost dude!! Had it for years but long gone now!

March '99 - POFQ
    February '04 - WL
    February '05 - POLY
    November '05 - CB
    October '06 - POLY
    November '07 - POLY / BC
    November ' 08 - BC
    March '10 - WL
    November '10 - POR-Riverside
    November '11 - CSR

Dear departed brother Dave, he chased a bear into a cave

Post Thanks / Like

I miss the Skyway and the canoes.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

List of things I miss most:
    1. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    2. If You Had Wings
    3. The "real" Main Street
    4. Mickey Mouse Revue
    5. Topiary
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a huge fan of Downtown Disney, but I used to love it when it was, I think, the Buena Vista Marketplace. When there was just the MK and the two hotels, it was a great, quiet, beautiful little place to dine and shop, and to stay if you couldn't manage to get into the Contemporary or the Polynesian (or the Disney Hotel/Disney's Golf Resort, as it was known then, now Shades of Green). Fulton's was the Empress Lilly, and about the only thing in that area, all surrounded by twinkling lights in the trees. And then a short walk away, there were shops and other restaurants, and a slightly longer walk to the hotels in that area and the treehouse villas. The whole area was surrounded by trees and you could just barely see the Empress Lilly's smoke stack from the road, if you were looking. So quaint and charming.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ravsluvdisney View Post
    That's funny! I remember that shop beacause the first WDW "purchase" I made was a cardboard picture of an old Haunted Mansion looking geezer BUT....when you held him under a light and then turned it off - ooooh, spooky ghost dude!! Had it for years but long gone now!
    OMG...this must be the store that my husband bought his "mask" of an old, gravedigging dude that turned to a glow-in-the-dark dude when held under the light. We still use it, every Halloween. It was purchase in the mid-seventies.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an old timer by any stretch, but having visited WDW over the last twenty something years even I marvel at the things that have changed. I still fondly remember rides that have themselves rode off into the sunset.

I can remember riding World of Motion, Body Wars, the Backlot Tour, El Rio del Tiempo, and the older version of Spaceship Earth. They have a special spot in my memory and I love to watch videos of them online from time to time. Has it really been that long??
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

I first visited WDW in March 1972. Wow-am I really that old??? Like others, I was amazed at Main Street- just so perfect and clean but what I remember most is the music. I don't know why but I loved all the piped in Disney music!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

I first visited in March 1972, too! And I remember that shop inside the castle, 20K Leagues and being so scared going under water, the Skyway ride, my grandparents fumbling with the ticket books and then playing "Disney World" with the leftover tickets when we got home.

Thanks for starting this thread. What a fun trip down memory lane.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

at the risk of sounding mundane, mine would have to be the old, original logo. The one with the capital "D" with Mickey ears at the top and the "longitude/latitude" lines criss-crossing it. It used to be everywhere, from the maps to the merchandise bags. Now, it survives, I think, only on the front of each monorail cab (and maybe on some sewage covers).

Speaking of monorails, that would be no. 2 -- the old monorails. The ones where you could open the windows and where they had to come by and close each door individually. I loved the thud-repeat-thud sound as they'd work their way down the line...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...this thread has been great! I'm remembering things I didn't even know I remembered!! I still remember the old music on the Carousel of Progress..Now Is the Time..Michael Icegurg at Tomorrowland Terrace (Pigs in the Rain was my favorite)....River Country...and being able to swim in the Lagoon.
    It's not easy being green....

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember always having to try to wrangle a postion with the characters if you wanted to get your picture with them and it always seemed like a stranger stepped into the picture unexpectedly. We have so many pictures of our family with the characters that have strangers in the pictures too. That was before the characters had handlers. Whoever came up with that idea deserves an award!
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ftwildernesskid View Post
    I still remember the old music on the Carousel of Progress..Now Is the Time..
    Just a reminder ... Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is actually the original CoP soundtrack. Now Is the Time was a replacement track that GE requested when CoP was moved to WDW in '73.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Swan Boats
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    River Country
    The steam train loop railroad around Fort Wilderness
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

My first trip was back in '77.All i really wanted to ride was the Haunted Mansion.Obviously,pre-
    "Fast pass".Every time we walked by my mom said,"the lines too long,we'll come back and try again later.Well,"later" never came and alas,i never rode HM the first time i was at wdw.
    Now,as an adult i ride it as many times as i can when we go.
    I do miss 20k,i remember it being really,really hot and smelled bad.
    THAT,would be an awesome attraction to redo.
    See you in 5 days mickey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Just a reminder ... Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is actually the original CoP soundtrack. Now Is the Time was a replacement track that GE requested when CoP was moved to WDW in '73.
    Thanks for that bit of trivia! I guess for me it is the original!
    It's not easy being green....

Post Thanks / Like

My first trip was as a child, and the MK had only been opened a short time. If I remember correctly Space Mountain was still under construction. I remember riding 20K Leagues and Eastern Airlines "Wings of Man" ride. We were there for only one day.
    I did go back for 1 more day in the fall of 1977 with family who had come to see me "graduate" from the Navy's Recruit Training Center (fancy words for boot camp).
    I do not remember if either of the two rides were still running then. It may be that I rode them in '77 and not in early '70's.
    When my wife and I went in 1990 both rides were definitely gone
    WDW Visits:<br />1975 MK (1 Day)<br />1977 MK (1 Day)<br />1990 Jun - Hotel Royal Plaza (Honeymoon)<br />1996 May - Carribean Beach Resort<br />1999 Nov - Dixie Landings<br />2002 Jun - Coranado Springs Resort<br />2003 Aug - Animal Kingdom Lodge<br />2004 in the planning stages.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: