Quantcast New DVC Resort? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New DVC Resort?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    There is another thread on INTERCOT (somewhere -- it escapes me right now) about a new resort being in the offing -- it did not, however, say anything about DVC. I replied in that thread that I expected that it would be DVC and kind of pooh-poohed the thought.

Somebody in the corporate offices needs to learn what Walt Disney was all about with the creation of Disneyland (the advent of the current group of parks) -- They were to be places where families could go and enjoy themselves as families -- NOT where only the WEALTHY could bring their families.

BUT, I guess as long as there are still people who will fork out the thousands upon thousands of dollars to buy in to a fancy timeshare scheme, they'll keep on building them and pricing everyone else out.....

Sorry! This is a personal peeve and I tend to rant over it!
    Look, we purchased our contract in 2004 and have a monthly payment of $155/month which is almost paid off. To me that hardly seems like something only a wealthy person can afford. Do you have a car payment that low even? An electric bill? People have priorities and choose to spend thier money how they see fit. There are all ranges of people and incomes who own DVC or timeshare in general. I don't consider DVC a "scheme" and I feel we have gotten our money's worth ten times over already. Generally people who say this really don't understand how it works or maybe can't or don't vacation yearly to make it worth thier money. I also bought so we would be able to give this to our kids- one of whom has special needs and may not be able to do something like this for himself later in life.

Disney can be enjoyed by all- we just went 3 weeks ago and stayed at All Star Sports withought using our points for $49/night. Don't turn this into rich vs. poor. If you feel that the Value resorts have the connotation of being "low class"- that is your opinion. I have no idea where you get that from. We never felt that way during our stay at any time or felt any lesser treatment than at our past DVC and deluxe stays.

I don't know why DVC is the only topic on this site where it seems acceptable to bash and insult. If someone went on and bashed All Stars or the campground everyone would have a canniption and the thread would be closed. I guess because DVC is perceived to be for the "rich" and "wealthy" that makes it OK.

On to the topic for which this thread was created- I hadn't heard this rumor but it seems wierd they would have such a similar theme! Also with so many resorts not yet sold out, overabundance of resale contracts and the fact that Hawaii isn't selling...wouldn't be the best business decision at this time but hey.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Value visitors are already being considered "lower class" in that the offers are more and more scaled back every year - "Free DDP" => only QS, where all other resorts get Standard; talk (and yes, I know it is only rumor) of charging for parking IF you stay Value; etc. If this is the case, Disney should just sell off the Value resorts and be done with it. Certainly would help their bottom line.....
    Oh and Free DIning isn't "free"- you are paying for it by getting a non-discounted room. Disney just finally figured out that they are losing money offering free table service on a $100 per night room. Hence the QS. Disney is a business and all decisions are based on money- keeping it, making more, and not losing it. Probably they are hoping the QS will affect some (not all) guests to upgrade to a MOD and therefor spend more- you guessed it- money.

BTW DVC gets no such offers of free dining plan or even discounted dining plan.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

IF they are really looking at this, the Wild West type theme is probably the only one I could see fitting over in that area. It's sandwiched by Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. I can't imagine anything else fitting without looking WAY out of place.

Post Thanks / Like

Only if you are looking at Wilderness Lodge Villas rather than Wilderness Lodge in general.

Wilderness Lodge "from" $240/night
    Saratoga Springs Villas "from" $295/night
    Wilderness Lodge Villas "from" $330/night
    I'm signed in right now and for the 4 nights I'm going, Saratoga Springs is $770 while the Wilderness Lodge is $1,021. And that's not even a room with a good view. I don't know if WL is cheaper than SSR in general, but whenever I go, it seems to be more (Which is why I started going to SSR in the first place).
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    IF they are really looking at this, the Wild West type theme is probably the only one I could see fitting over in that area. It's sandwiched by Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. I can't imagine anything else fitting without looking WAY out of place.
    Very true. I agree though probably not a theme I would be crazy about...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I know River Country is completely unrepairable and I'm not saying they should've rebuilt it (although I do miss it), but if the rumor is true, it's too bad that another resort would go there instead of another attraction.
    I had the same reaction, actually. Given that their two existing water parks are almost always packed to the gills, I was always hoping that they would re-build River Country or at least build a new waterpark on the old RC site.

Kinda disappointed that they're going the DVC resort route instead. That area already feels fairly saturated with resorts to me. I mean, you have Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Poly, and GF. I guess they're assuming that another MK area DVC will bring big bucks.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I had the same reaction, actually. Given that their two existing water parks are almost always packed to the gills, I was always hoping that they would re-build River Country or at least build a new waterpark on the old RC site.

Kinda disappointed that they're going the DVC resort route instead. That area already feels fairly saturated with resorts to me. I mean, you have Ft. Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Poly, and GF. I guess they're assuming that another MK area DVC will bring big bucks.
    Unless they do something like the the Tree House Villas at SSR. That might make more sense to allow a different type of Grand Villa experience. And maybe they could incorporate a small resort only water park. Having stayed at Kidani their pool/water play area is perfect for my family and keeps us away from the main water parks.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I have some fond memories of River Country as a kid. It was really "fun" back in the 80's...

DVC works, why not use that land for more!!
    IF the lake wasn't so gross maybe they could actually do a water activity over there. Give it the whole "mountain" vacation feel.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Disney can be enjoyed by all- we just went 3 weeks ago and stayed at All Star Sports withought using our points for $49/night. Don't turn this into rich vs. poor. If you feel that the Value resorts have the connotation of being "low class"- that is your opinion. I have no idea where you get that from. We never felt that way during our stay at any time or felt any lesser treatment than at our past DVC and deluxe stays.

I don't know why DVC is the only topic on this site where it seems acceptable to bash and insult. If someone went on and bashed All Stars or the campground everyone would have a canniption and the thread would be closed. I guess because DVC is perceived to be for the "rich" and "wealthy" that makes it OK.

On to the topic for which this thread was created- I hadn't heard this rumor but it seems wierd they would have such a similar theme! Also with so many resorts not yet sold out, overabundance of resale contracts and the fact that Hawaii isn't selling...wouldn't be the best business decision at this time but hey.
    I can't agree with you more. Last June, my daughter and I stayed at a value for the first time, ever. It was simply a choice we made and had nothing to do with what "class" the hotel was. The price was right for our second trip in 6mos and that was that. While I've said that I'll never stay at a value again, it has nothing to do with the resort itself and I never got the impression from anyone that we were "lower class" for staying there. The only reason I choose to avoid value resorts is because they seem SO crowded and hectic. the rooms were adequate, the food court was fine. Actually, the only time I felt we were treated differently than we were during our past stays was IN the food court and it was because the staff treated us so poorly. Other than that? no difference.

And...I, too, am getting a bit annoyed by the "double standard" way of thinking that allows the "perceived" rich and wealthy to be bashed and the "in their own words" lower class to be left alone. It's a very pervasive theme in our society, at the moment. I find it very tiresome.

Back to topic...I would welcome the western theming of a new resort. I LOVE FW and The Wilderness Lodge.

BTW...I've just recently heard about the Hawaii DVC. I'd really love to check it out...I LOVE Hawaii.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

I just find it very unfortunate that, where Disney Parks are concerned, the thought that an affordable family vacation can be had "In The Magic," is becoming a fading memory.

Again, sorry for the rant....I'm done now!!
    Rant away, that's why we're here.

As for an affordable Disney vacation, when I was growing up, our family only went to WDW once every four years. Not everyone went to WDW then either. There was the CR, the Poly and FW. If you couldn't afford the CR or the Poly, then you camped, if you could afford to go at all. It only seems that in the past decade or so that an annual Disney vacation was expected. As for my family, we still won't go every year, but every other year.

A new DVC resort at the old River Country just doesn't sound right. Unless they do a Treehouse-type place and include it as an extension of VWL, even though River Country is right next to FW.

I miss River Country.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Disney could benefit from another water park as well, one closer to MK. That is what I'd like to see MOST done over there. I could live with an additional DVC, though. Those are everywhere...

At this point, almost anything is better than what's currently there, rotting away.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

The DVC argument wages war here at Intercot too, I see. More civil than on other boards, however. Staying in a value resort has nothing to do with being "low class." I stayed at Pop Century, but sometimes I splurged and picked a day or two and stay at a moderate. I stayed at a deluxe once or twice, only cause my parents were paying, when I was a child. I pick my resort based on my budget. I refuse to spend large sums of money on a bed and shower. I rather spend the extra money on food or other experiences in WDW.

That said, I heard the DVC rumor too. I think this is legit and will be a nice addition. A new water park? That would have been nice. Maybe the new resort could be a water part resort? Didn't one recently open in Orlando?
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I agree with you totally on the "low class/value" issue. I've stayed at Pop Century and two of the three All Stars more than once. I did it because either A. I needed a reasonably priced add-on room to cover days for which I didn't want to burn DVC points or B. because we really wanted to squeeze an extra trip in during a given year and needed to be fiscally responsible about it.

At other times, when we've gotten too-good-to-pass up deals we've also stayed offsite.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I agree with you totally on the "low class/value" issue. I've stayed at Pop Century and two of the three All Stars more than once. I did it because either A. I needed a reasonably priced add-on room to cover days for which I didn't want to burn DVC points or B. because we really wanted to squeeze an extra trip in during a given year and needed to be fiscally responsible about it.

At other times, when we've gotten too-good-to-pass up deals we've also stayed offsite.
    I understand the draw of the DVC. The room are really nice (took the tour while on a recent trip). Not to say it isn't worth it, I think it is and would never bash a DVC owner, but my choice is to pay less for a room when in reality the room only is a bed and shower. I crunched the numbers and DVC is worth the value as far as I am concerned. I just love the theme of Pop Century. The resort is fab (tossing our a pop culture term). Not thrilled with the All-Star resorts anymore. Looking forward to the Animation resort now.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Heh ... I own DVC, but even I won't say 100% that I'm convinced it's a "good deal" (especially considering how relative that term is).

I think, at best, you can say that there's a very solid chance it will turn out to be a nice hedge against inflation in terms of the cost of a room in Disney World.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

My family and I were dining at Whispering Canyon several years ago - probably 10 or more. We were chosed to lower the flag at Wilderness Lodge. The CM told us about plans to add a Hotel Cheyenne in the area between WL and FW. There were also plans to use the old FW train and connect the three areas with a train route. If you look at the layout of WL, the bus station is positioned to serve as a train station as well.

There was also to be an entertainment area similar to the Boardwalk. I think they were hoping to use this area for the MK resorts to come and spend some money!

Obviously it never happened, but it sounds like parts of the plan may be in use for the rumored DVC resort.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I get little preturned when I read/hear of arguments among regular WDW visitors about "class" distinctions. Debate about wealthy vs. poor really don't make any sense when it comes to discussing Disney vacations. So Walt's idea for Disneyland was all about families being able to enjoy a clean decent theme park, but he still charged admission. and there were lots of people who couldn't afford admission, much less a trip to California to get there.

Let's be clear, NOBODY who can afford even the park passes for multi-day WDW vacation qualifies as poor, even if they stay off-site in a $29 per night motel. We (WDW devotees), no matter how much we spend, are only "poor" when we fall into the trip of comparing ourselves to those who have more $$$ and things and leisure time than we do, and then take the next step into envy and jealousy. Instead we should be comparing our situations to a family who can't take any vacation at all, because they don't know how they are going to pay heir rent next month, and then be grateful for any opportunity we have to visit the happiest place on earth.

So, to keep on topic, if it helps WDW make money and keep the gates open, I'm all for a new DVC resort at the old River Country site. We are not able to visit WDW often enough to be in the market for a DVC membership, but I don't begrudge those who are.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone point out where Walt demanded that Disneyland be affordable and attainable to everyone? Why should Disney be faulted for running a profitable business model?
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Sorry, I get little preturned when I read/hear of arguments among regular WDW visitors about "class" distinctions.
    Oops! I don't know how I could misspell "perturbed" as "preturned".

Sorry for any confusion.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Someone on another board, who is pretty reliable, said a new DVC is planned and ready for construction. The new DVC will not be at River Country. He did not say where on property the new DVC will go, nor did he say what the theme would be. The statement was pretty vague.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: