Quantcast Ohana for Dinner?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohana for Dinner?

Wow, I had no idea that it would be so hard to get a ressie at Ohana for dinner!?!?

What are my chances for getting one when we get there. This will be our first stay at the Poly and I foolishly booked breakfast there (we've done it before and I thought it would be good to not book ALL dinners while we are there) now I am regretting it.

Guess it's too late now.

Any advice on when to call back and if it's even worth trying? They are booked solid for our entire stay, but maybe...

Poly Dec 2010
    CR Dec. 2009
    POR Sept. 2008
    POP & AKL June 2007
    WDW Dolphin July 2006
    WDW Dolphin March 2002

Treehouse Villas as a kid...that's where it all began!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It's very hard but not entirely impossible to get into 'Ohana when you get there. Breakfast or dinner, that line is insane for people who already have ADRs let alone wanting to walk in. It wraps around the entire Great Ceremonial House upper level, and makes it hard for guests to get to the monorail station. I love the Polynesian, but they need a better way to manage those 'Ohana check ins (one of my resort pet peeves from having just stayed there).

Anyway... your best bet is to keep trying to score an ADR now, online reservations at the Disney site tells you what's available and sometimes things open up. It is maybe possible to get there just at the very beginning of dinner service or before (4:00) or maybe toward the end of the night (late, like 10 pm) and score a walk-in, but once things get rolling (5:00 until 9:30) there's almost no chance for getting in.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sherri regardind check-in procedures at 'Ohana, my one pet peeve regarding the restaurant. We try to book dinner right at 5pm so we can get right in and still end up having to stand in line for half an hour.

I haven't been able to get a dinner ADR at 'Ohana for December...again, I agree with Sherri, keep trying the online ressie maker, or just try the day of, right when they open.

We're going to try Kona for dinner instead this year. We really enjoy breakfast there and hope we'll like dinner too!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...I had no idea it was that popular during the summer. We've always gone in the fall, and always eat dinner at O'Hana, and there's never a line. We just check in and sit down in the lounge area while we wait.

All the way out to the monorail station? Really??
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep calling and keep trying. Something may open up
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post
    Wow...I had no idea it was that popular during the summer. We've always gone in the fall, and always eat dinner at O'Hana, and there's never a line. We just check in and sit down in the lounge area while we wait.

Yes, it's crazy. The whole area gets very congested. Some people don't move out of the way once they've checked in and it becomes a long line of people milling about from 'Ohana to beyond Kona. Someone should be there to assure people that once they check in and have a buzzer, they can move around. Then it wouldn't seem so bad all in that one upper half of the GCH.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Wow, I just made a reservation today at Ohana for January 14th (free dining) and got one for 5:30pm. December must be a busier time!
    Off-site - 1984, 1988 (2)
    Disneyland - 1993
    All Star Movies - 1999
    All Star Music - 2002
    Polynesian - 2006
    Coronado Springs - 2007
    Port Orleans Riverside - 2008
    Caribbean Beach - 2009
    Pop Century- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Disney Dream - 2013
    Yacht Club 2015

Post Thanks / Like

We're staying at the Poly 11/28-12/3 and haven't been able to get a reservation for Ohana and I started checking around the 90 day mark... bugs me that we can't get any reservations there (breakfast, lunch, dinner), especially since we're staying there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinksmom02 View Post
    We're going to try Kona for dinner instead this year. We really enjoy breakfast there and hope we'll like dinner too!
    Great option to all those shut out of Ohana's - which does kind of stink - Kona is a hidden gem for dinner!!

March '99 - POFQ
    February '04 - WL
    February '05 - POLY
    November '05 - CB
    October '06 - POLY
    November '07 - POLY / BC
    November ' 08 - BC
    March '10 - WL
    November '10 - POR-Riverside
    November '11 - CSR

Dear departed brother Dave, he chased a bear into a cave

Post Thanks / Like

I've called, been denied reservations, hung up and immediately secured reservations online. Make sure you try that!

Post Thanks / Like

We were told to be at Ohana's about 15 minutes prior to opening for dinner and get your name on a waiting list. If someone does not show up for their reservation they do not hold it, they will pull someone off the list to seat. We only waited about 10 minutes and were seated. They do not wait 15-30 minutes for someone to show up for their reservation...which is also a good tip for someone with a reservation...be on time or you lose!

I also agree with a prior post....Kona is a hidden gem. We have eaten there several times and it is excellent. The chocolat fondue is a "must try"! YUMMY!
    CoCo

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to get into 'Ohana on Dec. 6th at 180 days out. The down side....our ADR's are not until 8:10pm. I keep trying and hoping an earlier time opens, but feel lucky to have what I have.

Keep trying.... I was able to get the Garden Grill after it was all booked up
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azcavalier View Post

It's pretty much always like that when we eat there early regardless of the time of year.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

Dinner at 'Ohana has arguably the toughest reservation in Disney to procure, outside of Le Cellier, perhaps. The place is jammed every night, and the upper floor of the Great Ceremonial House becomes an absolute zoo.

That doesn't mean you should give up. People cancel all the time. Keep calling and checking the website and hope a slot opens. I wish there were an easier way, but it's really all about luck at this point. I have been shut-out of 'Ohana plenty of times. Just one of those things.

As others have said, definitely consider Kona Cafe if you can't get into 'Ohana. I probably like it even more.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Default just got one three weeks out

We are leaving on the 28th of this month and I have been trying for almost six months with no luck. I checked last night after midnight and got one for dinner at 5:20 the Friday night we are there. Early dinners are great for us as we have 2 small children. Its exactly what we wanted so don't give up and just keep trying.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: